Unsharp mask with nikon scan 3.1.2

Post by Otterle » Tue, 22 Jan 2002 18:12:23

Hello,

I just wanted to know which are the best setting to use with the
unsharping mask included in Nikon scan 3.1,
with my Nikon LS 40 ?

I tried 20%,3,0, it seems correct, but what do you think about it ?

Thanks !

Unsharp mask with nikon scan 3.1.2

Post by Mac McDougal » Wed, 23 Jan 2002 00:13:15

Quote:> Hello,

> I just wanted to know which are the best setting to use with the
> unsharping mask included in Nikon scan 3.1,
> with my Nikon LS 40 ?

> I tried 20%,3,0, it seems correct, but what do you think about it ?

> Thanks !

If you're going to do anything else with the image after scanning,
*especially* resize/resample or crop, any sharpening is best left to the
last step. But guess you knew that?

--
        Mac McDougald
Doogle Digital - www.doogle.com

Post by Thomas » Fri, 25 Jan 2002 14:32:22

> Hello,

> I just wanted to know which are the best setting to use with the
> unsharping mask included in Nikon scan 3.1,
> with my Nikon LS 40 ?

> I tried 20%,3,0, it seems correct, but what do you think about it ?

I think that the last 0 is not the best solution as it can add a noisy
pattern to areas with similar color, such as sky of faces. I would
apply the filter only for the areas where the the is a larger difference
in luminance. I am using usually between 22-12-2 to 22-12-16 for slides.
Halo width seems to be the most sensitive parameter for bad setting, I
was never sure if my selection of 12 was indeed the best. I saw so many
contradicting advices here about this parameter...

Thomas.

Quote: