Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED - Beginners help.

Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED - Beginners help.

Post by Hele » Wed, 21 May 2003 10:31:55

Good day to you all.

I have just purchased the Nikon SUper Coolscan 4000 ED and have spent
a couple of days trying to scan my negatives.

However, the results I get are quite poor so I must be missing
something.

Is there any resource where I can learn how to scan correctly? How did
you guys (and girls) go about it?

Helena

Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED - Beginners help.

Post by Michae » Wed, 21 May 2003 11:22:09

Try:

http://www.computer-darkroom.com/home.htm

and

http://www.scantips.com/

and

http://www.normankoren.com/index.html

These are three very good sites. Also the tutorial for Nikon Scan is OK
also. Many here can tell you what is wrong, if you describe what the output
is like. Usually it is a color mismatch or applying something in error. Good
Luck!

Quote:> Good day to you all.

> I have just purchased the Nikon SUper Coolscan 4000 ED and have spent
> a couple of days trying to scan my negatives.

> However, the results I get are quite poor so I must be missing
> something.

> Is there any resource where I can learn how to scan correctly? How did
> you guys (and girls) go about it?

> Helena

Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED - Beginners help.

Post by Mac McDougal » Wed, 21 May 2003 11:25:27

Quote:> Good day to you all.

> I have just purchased the Nikon SUper Coolscan 4000 ED and have spent
> a couple of days trying to scan my negatives.

> However, the results I get are quite poor so I must be missing
> something.

> Is there any resource where I can learn how to scan correctly? How did
> you guys (and girls) go about it?

> Helena

What's so "poor" about them?

start with Wayne's fine:
www.scantips.com

Mac

Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED - Beginners help.

Post by Craig Johnso » Wed, 21 May 2003 15:04:56

Quote:

>Is there any resource where I can learn how to scan correctly? How did
>you guys (and girls) go about it?

I had problems with NikonScan AND I found it hard to learn.  Instead,
I started using Vuescan, which I found to be far easier to get started
with, and produced nice results right away.  Have a look at
www.hamrick.com.  You can download a demo copy of Vuescan to play
with.  Not an expensive program either.

Post by Jean » Wed, 21 May 2003 23:45:45

| >Is there any resource where I can learn how to scan correctly? How did
| >you guys (and girls) go about it?
|
| I had problems with NikonScan AND I found it hard to learn.  Instead,
| I started using Vuescan, which I found to be far easier to get started
| with, and produced nice results right away.  Have a look at
| www.hamrick.com.  You can download a demo copy of Vuescan to play
| with.  Not an expensive program either.

I had the opposite experience as the above poster. I found NikonScan easy to
use from the start. On one particularly difficult slide, I decided to try
Vuescan - I found it unintuitive and it produced no better results than
NikonScan. But bear in mind, Vuescan does seem to be the program of choice
for many many people.

After scanning over 1000 slides, I am so familiar with NikonScan that it
would be difficult for me to transition any other program. Also, it provides
enough tools that I can use it as the only editor for scans that will just
be displayed on the web. I found that setting up the "Preferences" is
crucial to good results. I set the "Preferences" as follows:
   Gamma = 2.2 (and I have my monitor appropriately calibrated)
   Color Management => "Use Nikon Color Management", RGB => "Scanner RGB"
color space

(The latter setting allows use of all the editing tools while ignoring color
space profiles (ie, you work with the original untreated image.)

Jean

Post by Harry F. Lockwoo » Thu, 22 May 2003 03:45:56

> | >Is there any resource where I can learn how to scan correctly? How did
> | >you guys (and girls) go about it?
> |
> | I had problems with NikonScan AND I found it hard to learn.  Instead,
> | I started using Vuescan, which I found to be far easier to get started
> | with, and produced nice results right away.  Have a look at
> | www.hamrick.com.  You can download a demo copy of Vuescan to play
> | with.  Not an expensive program either.
> |

> I had the opposite experience as the above poster. I found NikonScan easy to
> use from the start. On one particularly difficult slide, I decided to try
> Vuescan - I found it unintuitive and it produced no better results than
> NikonScan. But bear in mind, Vuescan does seem to be the program of choice
> for many many people.

> After scanning over 1000 slides, I am so familiar with NikonScan that it
> would be difficult for me to transition any other program. Also, it provides
> enough tools that I can use it as the only editor for scans that will just
> be displayed on the web. I found that setting up the "Preferences" is
> crucial to good results. I set the "Preferences" as follows:
>    Gamma = 2.2 (and I have my monitor appropriately calibrated)
>    Color Management => "Use Nikon Color Management", RGB => "Scanner RGB"
> color space

> (The latter setting allows use of all the editing tools while ignoring color
> space profiles (ie, you work with the original untreated image.)

> Jean

I couldn't agree more.  Every few months I download the latest version
of VS to check it out (I'm a paid subscriber.)  The NS interface is so
much easier and more intuitive than that of VS that I can't imagine
switching.

I wonder if the preference for VS is a Mac vs PC thing.  (I use a Mac.)
NS resides in Photoshop as a plugin while I understand that on a Wintel
machine, access is through TWAIN.  I'm out on a limb on this, however,
so correct me if I'm wrong.  (As if I had to ask! <g>)

HFL

--
Harry F. Lockwood
(Remove HOLE for email)

Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED - Beginners help.

Post by Jean » Thu, 22 May 2003 05:23:57

| > |

| > |
| > | I had problems with NikonScan AND I found it hard to learn.  Instead,
| > | I started using Vuescan, which I found to be far easier to get started
| > | with, and produced nice results right away.  Have a look at
| > | www.hamrick.com.  You can download a demo copy of Vuescan to play
| > | with.  Not an expensive program either.
| > |

| > I had the opposite experience as the above poster. I found NikonScan
easy to
| > use from the start. On one particularly difficult slide, I decided to
try
| > Vuescan - I found it unintuitive and it produced no better results than
| > NikonScan. But bear in mind, Vuescan does seem to be the program of
choice
| > for many many people.
| >
| > After scanning over 1000 slides, I am so familiar with NikonScan that it
| > would be difficult for me to transition any other program. Also, it
provides
| > enough tools that I can use it as the only editor for scans that will
just
| > be displayed on the web. I found that setting up the "Preferences" is
| > crucial to good results. I set the "Preferences" as follows:
| >    Gamma = 2.2 (and I have my monitor appropriately calibrated)
| >    Color Management => "Use Nikon Color Management", RGB => "Scanner
RGB"
| > color space
| >
| > (The latter setting allows use of all the editing tools while ignoring
color
| > space profiles (ie, you work with the original untreated image.)
| >

| > Jean
| >
| I couldn't agree more.  Every few months I download the latest version
| of VS to check it out (I'm a paid subscriber.)  The NS interface is so
| much easier and more intuitive than that of VS that I can't imagine
| switching.
|
| I wonder if the preference for VS is a Mac vs PC thing.  (I use a Mac.)
| NS resides in Photoshop as a plugin while I understand that on a Wintel
| machine, access is through TWAIN.  I'm out on a limb on this, however,
| so correct me if I'm wrong.  (As if I had to ask! <g>)
|

| HFL
|
| --
| Harry F. Lockwood
| (Remove HOLE for email)

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks NikonScan is a good scanner program ...
;)

On a PC, NikonScan can be used as a stand-alone program (TWAIN source plus
post-scan editor) or it can be used as a TWAIN source for Photoshop. I
really hate PS, so I avoid it at all costs ....that may be why I prefer
NikonScan. Now if NikonScan only had the ability to edit "selections" of a
scanned image, I'd dump PS altogether!!!

Jean

Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED - Beginners help.

Post by Kennedy McEwe » Thu, 22 May 2003 06:36:34

Quote:

>I wonder if the preference for VS is a Mac vs PC thing.  (I use a Mac.)
>NS resides in Photoshop as a plugin while I understand that on a Wintel
>machine, access is through TWAIN.  I'm out on a limb on this, however,
>so correct me if I'm wrong.  (As if I had to ask! <g>)

Don't think so - I use a PC and also prefer NikonScan to Vuescan.  I put
it down to just getting used to Nikon's interface foibles during years
when there was no alternative.   :-)
--
Kennedy
A lovely little thinker, but a * when he's pissed.

Post by Magg » Thu, 22 May 2003 07:21:19

> > | I had problems with NikonScan AND I found it hard to learn.  Instead,
> > | I started using Vuescan, which I found to be far easier to get started
> > | with, and produced nice results right away.  Have a look at
> > | www.hamrick.com.  You can download a demo copy of Vuescan to play
> > | with.  Not an expensive program either.
> > |

> > I had the opposite experience as the above poster. I found NikonScan easy to
> > use from the start. On one particularly difficult slide, I decided to try
> > Vuescan - I found it unintuitive and it produced no better results than
> > NikonScan. But bear in mind, Vuescan does seem to be the program of choice
> > for many many people.

> > After scanning over 1000 slides, I am so familiar with NikonScan that it
> > would be difficult for me to transition any other program. Also, it provides
> > enough tools that I can use it as the only editor for scans that will just
> > be displayed on the web. I found that setting up the "Preferences" is
> > crucial to good results. I set the "Preferences" as follows:
> >    Gamma = 2.2 (and I have my monitor appropriately calibrated)
> >    Color Management => "Use Nikon Color Management", RGB => "Scanner RGB"
> > color space

> > (The latter setting allows use of all the editing tools while ignoring color
> > space profiles (ie, you work with the original untreated image.)

> > Jean

> I couldn't agree more.  Every few months I download the latest version
> of VS to check it out (I'm a paid subscriber.)  The NS interface is so
> much easier and more intuitive than that of VS that I can't imagine
> switching.

> I wonder if the preference for VS is a Mac vs PC thing.  (I use a Mac.)
> NS resides in Photoshop as a plugin while I understand that on a Wintel
> machine, access is through TWAIN.  I'm out on a limb on this, however,
> so correct me if I'm wrong.  (As if I had to ask! <g>)

> HFL

How do you use NS as a Photoshop plugin?
I have it as a stand alone application
Is it better as a plugin?  What's the advantage?

Post by Bill Hilt » Thu, 22 May 2003 07:51:49

>How do you use NS as a Photoshop plugin?

Open Photoshop, then do File > Import > Twain and NS should show up as an
option.

Quote:>Is it better as a plugin?  What's the advantage?

One advantage is that it will bypass Nikon Color Management and use the current
Photoshop working space, handy if you are using a wide gamut space like Joe
Holmes' Ektaspace (the Nikon software supports its own Wide Gamut space but I
prefer Ektaspace).

Bill

Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED - Beginners help.

Post by Michae » Thu, 22 May 2003 11:48:04

Kennedy,

Do you use Adobe 1998 as color setting in NS feeding same in PS ?? Thanks!

> >I wonder if the preference for VS is a Mac vs PC thing.  (I use a Mac.)
> >NS resides in Photoshop as a plugin while I understand that on a Wintel
> >machine, access is through TWAIN.  I'm out on a limb on this, however,
> >so correct me if I'm wrong.  (As if I had to ask! <g>)

> Don't think so - I use a PC and also prefer NikonScan to Vuescan.  I put
> it down to just getting used to Nikon's interface foibles during years
> when there was no alternative.   :-)
> --
> Kennedy
> Yes, Socrates himself is particularly missed;
> A lovely little thinker, but a * when he's pissed.
> Python Philosophers         (replace 'nospam' with 'kennedym' when

replying)

Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED - Beginners help.

Post by Craig Johnso » Thu, 22 May 2003 13:18:28

On Tue, 20 May 2003 22:36:34 +0100, Kennedy McEwen

>  I put
>it down to just getting used to Nikon's interface foibles during years
>when there was no alternative.   :-)

And I am used to Vuescan's interface, because I had no alternative.
For over a year, I could not get Nikonscan to work on my Windows XP
Pro PC.  (Yes, the XP version of Nikonscan).  Nor could Nikon tech
support.

The day I brought home the LS-4000 and tried to use it, I ended up
buying Vuescan.

I finally built another Windows XP Pro PC for myself, and Nikonscan
runs fine on it.  However, I can't figure out the interface!

Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED - Beginners help.

Post by John Ingrah » Thu, 22 May 2003 15:59:15

Dear Helena,

Scanning negatives on the Coolscan 4000ED is also possible using
SilverFast Ai from Lasersoft Imaging (www.silverfast.com).  We have
recently made some improvements to our negative profiling tool
(Negafix) for the Nikon scanners.

In terms of tutorials for SilverFast, you can go to Ian Lyon's
tutorial site http://www.computer-darkroom.com/sf5-negafix/sf5_negafix.htm

Take care,

John

> Good day to you all.

> I have just purchased the Nikon SUper Coolscan 4000 ED and have spent
> a couple of days trying to scan my negatives.

> However, the results I get are quite poor so I must be missing
> something.

> Is there any resource where I can learn how to scan correctly? How did
> you guys (and girls) go about it?

> Helena

Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED - Beginners help.

Post by Harry F. Lockwoo » Thu, 22 May 2003 20:52:32

SNIP

Quote:

> > > Jean

> > I couldn't agree more.  Every few months I download the latest version
> > of VS to check it out (I'm a paid subscriber.)  The NS interface is so
> > much easier and more intuitive than that of VS that I can't imagine
> > switching.

> > I wonder if the preference for VS is a Mac vs PC thing.  (I use a Mac.)
> > NS resides in Photoshop as a plugin while I understand that on a Wintel
> > machine, access is through TWAIN.  I'm out on a limb on this, however,
> > so correct me if I'm wrong.  (As if I had to ask! <g>)

> > HFL

> How do you use NS as a Photoshop plugin?
> I have it as a stand alone application
> Is it better as a plugin?  What's the advantage?

On a Mac (OS 9.1), you put the NS plugin into the PS plugin folder.
Then, in PS go to File>Import>NikonScan and up pops the NS interface,
within PS.  No TWAIN involved.

The advantage is speed.  The file can immediately and automatically be
saved as a PS doc; one doesn't have to save in NS then reopen in PS.

HFL

--
Harry F. Lockwood
(Remove HOLE for email)

Post by Harry F. Lockwoo » Thu, 22 May 2003 20:57:15

> On Tue, 20 May 2003 22:36:34 +0100, Kennedy McEwen

> >  I put
> >it down to just getting used to Nikon's interface foibles during years
> >when there was no alternative.   :-)

> And I am used to Vuescan's interface, because I had no alternative.
> For over a year, I could not get Nikonscan to work on my Windows XP
> Pro PC.  (Yes, the XP version of Nikonscan).  Nor could Nikon tech
> support.

> The day I brought home the LS-4000 and tried to use it, I ended up
> buying Vuescan.

> I finally built another Windows XP Pro PC for myself, and Nikonscan
> runs fine on it.  However, I can't figure out the interface!

 Can you give us an example of what has you stumped in NS?  And, if
it's of any value, I can go through a typical prep prior to a scan.
It's really quite straightforward.   Offline if inappropriate here.

HFL

--
Harry F. Lockwood
(Remove HOLE for email)

1. Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED Film Scanner WARRANTY

Hello;

I'm a new registered google user .. My question is ...
How can I tell what warranty came with my Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED
Film Scanner. It was purchased through normal retail channels at
buy.com.

I am now selling the unit and allot of questions regarding the
warranty
are surfacing. The unit has never been unboxed, so is there a way to
tell what warranty my scanner came with ??? I had no idea, this would
even
be an issue, as all items I have purchased through buy.com hhave come
with a "regular" warranty ...

Thanks
Pete

2. Word 2000 - too many open files

3. Minolta Dimage Scan Elite vs Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED

4. CFP: PART'96: Third Australasian Conference on Parallel and Real-Time

5. Vuescan for Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED

6. Installing Microsoft Mediaview

7. Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED Review

8. Problems? with latest zmodem rev (0791)

9. Nikon Super Coolscan 4000 ED review

10. Canon Canoscan 4000 vs. Nikon Coolscan 4000 ED

11. Canon Canoscan 4000US vs. Nikon CoolScan 4000 ED

12. Getting the best results possible with a Nikon Coolscan 4000 ED

13. Nikon Coolscan 4000 ED and old IA-20 adapter