A strange problem....

Post by Yanni » Sun, 22 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

Since I bought the CL geforce2 card I have a strange problem. Whenever my
Agfa SnapScan is connected to the USB port the PC doesn't show anything!
Only 3 beeps are heard. If I start the PC without the scanner, everything
works fine. I can connect the scanner while Windows are working and
everything goes fine.

My system:
Abit BE6-2
128MB
P3/650
Agfa Snapscn 1212u
CL geforce 2 gts

A strange problem....

Post by Tonny van Geloo » Sun, 26 Nov 2000 05:22:21

Quote:> Hi,

> Since I bought the CL geforce2 card I have a strange problem. Whenever my
> Agfa SnapScan is connected to the USB port the PC doesn't show anything!
> Only 3 beeps are heard. If I start the PC without the scanner, everything
> works fine. I can connect the scanner while Windows are working and
> everything goes fine.

> My system:
> Abit BE6-2
> 128MB
> P3/650
> Agfa Snapscn 1212u
> CL geforce 2 gts

I don't know this particular scanner but since it is an USB device.....
Are you sure you're powersupply can handle the load ?
If the scanner doesn't have a seperate power-supply it derives it's power
from the USB cable, in other words the PC power-supply.
Add a power-hungry video-card like a Geforce (32MB ram probably)
and a problem is born.
It only happens at bootup time because at that moment all devices are
inititalizing
and the HD is spinning up simultaneously and thus causing maximum drain
on the power-supply.

You probably get the same problem when you add addional HD's as well.

Most ATX power-supplies are 135 Watts. This is very minimalistic for todays
fast CPU/big video-card and ATA66/100 systems. Get a 180 or even better a
230 Watts supply and you should be fine. At least if I'm right about the
cause.

Yours truly.

Tonny van Geloof

Abit rulez (got a BP6 dual Celeron 433 overclocked to 650 myself.)

1. Strange UNIX or strange IDL?

IDL> print,!version
{ sparc sunos unix 5.1 Apr 13 1998}
IDL> pwd=getenv('PWD')
IDL> print,pwd
/disks/sprite/disk1/hfrey/idl/image/wic
IDL> pwd=getenv('pwd')
IDL> print,pwd

With the name argument of getenv set to capital letters I get the right
answer, but in small letters 'pwd' returns the null string. However, if
I use the same command on the UNIX platform I get

image1 [1] pwd
/disks/sprite/disk1/hfrey/idl/image/wic
image1 [2] PWD
PWD: Command not found

and UNIX does not like the capital letter 'PWD'.

Any explanation?

Harald Frey

2. Diamond Quad CD drive?

3. Strange colour balance problem with Coolscan IV

4. Superlinear speedup

5. Strange connection problem with my AGFA SNAPSCAN 1236S scanner

6. Cumana SCSI 2 Speed & AU review

7. Strange VueScan/Nikon 4000 Problem

8. Proportinal Speed control through R/C receiver?

9. Strange problem with Nikon LS-40

10. Strange Nikon SC 4000 ED + Win2k Problems

11. Strange problems with Umax Astra 3400 USB

12. Strange SCSI problem

13. strange problem scanning