8 bit or 12 bit

Post by phil » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 10:04:02

Hi

Just got my new Nikon Coolscan IV ED and am very pleased with it but am a
little confused about the settings in 'Scanner Extras'

In the 'Scan Bit Depth' it always defaults to 8 bit although 12 can be
selected.  I thought that scanning in 12 bit was always better so why does
it default to 8 bit?

The manual says that selecting 12 bit will send 16 bits to Photoshop.  Does
this mean that if I am happy to use 8 bits in Photoshop then I shouldn't
scan at 12 bits.

Am I missing something important?

Thanks for any advice.

Phil

8 bit or 12 bit

Post by Wayne Fulto » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 10:00:37

Quote:

>Hi

>Just got my new Nikon Coolscan IV ED and am very pleased with it but am a
>little confused about the settings in 'Scanner Extras'

>In the 'Scan Bit Depth' it always defaults to 8 bit although 12 can be
>selected.  I thought that scanning in 12 bit was always better so why does
>it default to 8 bit?

>The manual says that selecting 12 bit will send 16 bits to Photoshop.  Does
>this mean that if I am happy to use 8 bits in Photoshop then I shouldn't
>scan at 12 bits.

I think it will always scan at 12 bits internally.  The 8/12 bit choice is
only about outputing the final image.   Yes, if you want 8 bit mode in
Photoshop, then output 8 bit mode.

--
Wayne

http://www.scantips.com    "A few scanning tips"

8 bit or 12 bit

Post by phil » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 03:03:54

Thanks Wayne, that explains it.
Congratulations on a great web site.

Phil

Post by shA » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 23:53:08

> Just got my new Nikon Coolscan IV ED ...

> In the 'Scan Bit Depth' it always defaults to 8 bit although 12 can be
> selected.  I thought that scanning in 12 bit was always better so why does
> it default to 8 bit?

  I have always been under the impression this scanner would not be
able to deliver 12bits to Photoshop ... it is weird your manual and
software imply differently.  Understand however, the same software
controls the LS-2000 which is able to deliver "highbits" ... I suppose
it is possible the option is not disabled in the software, while it is
disabled in the firmware.

  It is also confusing when you say the software "defaults" to 8bit.
A "default" option is one which is always enabled ... but which can be
changed.  I believe you are saying it defaults to 8bit, but implies
12bit is a viable option ... but the 12bit option does not work(?)

  My impression (correct me if I'm wrong) is also that Vuescan is able
to deliver highbits from this scanner.

shAf  :o)

8 bit or 12 bit

Post by phil » Wed, 05 Dec 2001 11:50:20

The scanner delivers 16 bits to Photoshop.

There are two options in the software 8 and 12 bits but it is the 8 bit
option that is a always displayed unless 8 is selected.

Phil

> > Just got my new Nikon Coolscan IV ED ...

> > In the 'Scan Bit Depth' it always defaults to 8 bit although 12 can be
> > selected.  I thought that scanning in 12 bit was always better so why
does
> > it default to 8 bit?

>   I have always been under the impression this scanner would not be
> able to deliver 12bits to Photoshop ... it is weird your manual and
> software imply differently.  Understand however, the same software
> controls the LS-2000 which is able to deliver "highbits" ... I suppose
> it is possible the option is not disabled in the software, while it is
> disabled in the firmware.

>   It is also confusing when you say the software "defaults" to 8bit.
> A "default" option is one which is always enabled ... but which can be
> changed.  I believe you are saying it defaults to 8bit, but implies
> 12bit is a viable option ... but the 12bit option does not work(?)

>   My impression (correct me if I'm wrong) is also that Vuescan is able
> to deliver highbits from this scanner.

> shAf  :o)

1. PIC How to: 24 Bit / 16 bit = 16 bit (division routine on a 8 bit PIC )

All Help appreciated

----------------------------------------------------,
 ___  _     _     ___                               |
|   \(_)_ _| |__ |   \ _  _ _ __ _ _ ___            |
| |) | | '_| / / | |) | || | '_ \ '_/ -_)           |
|___/|_|_| |_\_\ |___/ \_,_| .__/_| \___|           |
                           |_|                      |
To Reply to this message remove _ in my email adres.|
Visit my LX page: www.ping.be/d_d_u (remove all _ ) |
----------------------------------------------------'

2. Compiler positions available for week ending December 27

3. 8-bit vs 12-bit scanning

4. Context menu extensions.

5. 35mm Film scanner - 10 bit or 12 bit - whats gained ?

6. Enabling Direct3D and DirectDraw Acceleration

7. 10 bits Versus 12 bits for image recognition

8. small MCU with 12-bit ADC and 8-bit PWM output ?

9. convertir un mot de 16 bits en un mot de 12 bits

10. Fast 12 bit multiply on 8 bit machine

11. 12-bit Data in 16-bit VOI LUT

12. Highorder bits of bit field go to bit bucket