Nikon Coolscan IV: Is Nikons software needed if you use VueScan???

Nikon Coolscan IV: Is Nikons software needed if you use VueScan???

Post by Flemming Thor Hanse » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 03:50:17

Hi,

It seems as if Nikons software (even the new version june 2001) cause problems
for many users.

If you only use VueScan for scanning, do you need to have the original Nikon
software installed at all?
--

Best regards

Flemming Thor Hansen
Denmark
Remove "no_spam " from the e-mail address.
http://members.tripod.com/Flemming_Hansen
Photo gallery:
http://community.webshots.com/user/flemmingthorhansen

Nikon Coolscan IV: Is Nikons software needed if you use VueScan???

Post by Ed Hamric » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 04:00:13

Quote:

> It seems as if Nikons software (even the new version june 2001) cause
problems
> for many users.

> If you only use VueScan for scanning, do you need to have the original
Nikon
> software installed at all?

You need to install the Nikon software on Windows because it needs
a .inf file to get the USB subsystem on Windows to see the scanner.

You don't need to install the Nikon software on Mac OS to get
VueScan to work with the CoolScan IV (LS-40) on Mac OS 8/9/X.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

Post by Flemming Thor Hanse » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 04:53:28

>>You need to install the Nikon software on Windows because it needs
>>a .inf file to get the USB subsystem on Windows to see the scanner.

>>You don't need to install the Nikon software on Mac OS to get
>>VueScan to work with the CoolScan IV (LS-40) on Mac OS 8/9/X.

>>Regards,
>>Ed Hamrick

Thank you very much.

It seems to me that I just need to install the Nikon Software, but do not need
to actually use Nikons software to scan after the installation. That's just fine
with me :-)
--

Med venlig hilsen

Flemming Thor Hansen
Fjern "no_spam " fra e-mail adressen ved e-mail svar
http://members.tripod.com/Flemming_Hansen
Billedgalleri p?
http://community.webshots.com/user/flemmingthorhansen

Nikon Coolscan IV: Is Nikons software needed if you use VueScan???

Post by Rafe » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 06:43:07

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:50:17 +0200, Flemming Thor Hansen

>Hi,

>It seems as if Nikons software (even the new version june 2001) cause problems
>for many users.

>If you only use VueScan for scanning, do you need to have the original Nikon
>software installed at all?

No, I doubt it, but you do need the IEEE-1394 drivers.

I haven't heard any reports about NikonScan 3.1 (the just-
released verison) on scanners other than the 8000.  It might
be just fine on those.  Have you heard otherwise?

And by the way, Vuescan doesn't work at all (yet) on my Nikon 8000,
but Ed Hamrick is aware of the issues.

rafe b.

Post by Thomas » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 09:27:42

> On Wed, 13 Jun 2001 20:50:17 +0200, Flemming Thor Hansen

> >Hi,

> >It seems as if Nikons software (even the new version june 2001) cause problems
> >for many users.

> >If you only use VueScan for scanning, do you need to have the original Nikon
> >software installed at all?

> No, I doubt it, but you do need the IEEE-1394 drivers.

Coolscan IV does not use FireWire, only LS-4000 and LS-8000 does.

Thomas.

Quote:

Post by Ed Hamric » Fri, 15 Jun 2001 16:28:21

> And by the way, Vuescan doesn't work at all (yet) on my Nikon 8000,
> but Ed Hamrick is aware of the issues.

Nikon said they'd get me the technical document I need in
early July.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

Post by Bill & Barbara R » Wed, 20 Jun 2001 12:31:36

1.production.compuserve.com>:

>> If you only use VueScan for scanning, do you need to have the original
>> Nikon software installed at all?

>You need to install the Nikon software on Windows because it needs
>a .inf file to get the USB subsystem on Windows to see the scanner.

I unzipped ls40.inf and nkscnusd.dll from nscan31.zip, installed the
device, and vuescan worked fine.  I didn't run nikonscan setup.

Interestingly, this was win98, not win98se.

--
Peace,
Bill Ruh

Nikon Coolscan IV: Is Nikons software needed if you use VueScan???

Post by Flemming Thor Hanse » Fri, 22 Jun 2001 03:52:47

Quote:>>>You need to install the Nikon software on Windows because it needs
>>>a .inf file to get the USB subsystem on Windows to see the scanner.

>>I unzipped ls40.inf and nkscnusd.dll from nscan31.zip, installed the
>>device, and vuescan worked fine.  I didn't run nikonscan setup.

>>Interestingly, this was win98, not win98se.

Well I run Windows 2000, but I will give it a try. I expect to receive my new
Coolscan IV by the end of next week.....