Nikon Coolscan IV and beige G3?

Nikon Coolscan IV and beige G3?

Post by Jon Be » Sun, 29 Apr 2001 09:41:48



My Coolscan IV arrived today, but I can't get it to work (so far).  
Here's what I have:  beige PowerMac G3 (266 MHz), MacOS 8.6, Xircom 2-port
PCI USB adapter card, Apple USB Card Support 1.4.1 software.

When I launch the Nikon Scan software, I can't get a "New Scan" window.

The Apple System Profiler sees the scanner on the USB port.  I've tried
disconnecting the printer that was connected to the other USB port (and
rebooting).  I've tried powering the scanner off, waiting ten seconds,
then powering it on again (as suggested in the Nikon Scan README file).

Any other ideas?  Or does the note in the reference manual that "Only
built-in USB ports are supported" really mean that adapter cards won't do?
If that is in fact the case, I'll just have to send the Coolscan back and
get a Minolta Scan Elite instead.

--

Dept. of Physics and Computer Science        Clinton, South Carolina USA
[ Questions about newsgroups?  Visit http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/  ]

 
 
 

Nikon Coolscan IV and beige G3?

Post by Mac McDougal » Sun, 29 Apr 2001 12:00:50



Quote:> My Coolscan IV arrived today, but I can't get it to work (so far).  
> Here's what I have:  beige PowerMac G3 (266 MHz), MacOS 8.6, Xircom 2-port
> PCI USB adapter card, Apple USB Card Support 1.4.1 software.

<snip the exact probs>

Quote:> Any other ideas?  Or does the note in the reference manual that "Only
> built-in USB ports are supported" really mean that adapter cards won't do?

Well, that's how I've always taken this statement to mean.
(I have old PPC Tosh, but mainly a PC guy)
It was news to me, though, reading your post: I thought all G3s and later
in any configuration had USB built in. But not so, eh?

Better make sure that the Minolta scanner doesn't have same requirement;
many scanners (and cameras) DO state that in their specs.

--
Mac
www.doogle.com

 
 
 

Nikon Coolscan IV and beige G3?

Post by Jon Be » Sun, 29 Apr 2001 14:16:46





>> [...]  Or does the note in the reference manual that "Only
>> built-in USB ports are supported" really mean that adapter cards won't do?

>Well, that's how I've always taken this statement to mean.

Now, if I had *seen* that statement before buying the thing, I probably
would have investigated.  But the product spec sheet on the Nikon web site
doesn't say.  The description at MacMall (where I ordered it) simply said
USB 1.1 and OS 8.6 or upward.  I don't think I saw the built-in-USB
restriction until I started to read the manual carefully after I couldn't
get the thing to work.  Then I noticed it in the fine print on the box
(which of course I couldn't see before actually having it in hand).

Quote:>It was news to me, though, reading your post: I thought all G3s and later
>in any configuration had USB built in. But not so, eh?

Nope.  The earlier, "beige" G3's have SCSI and ADB (Apple Desktop Bus).  
The later, "blue and white" G3's (and the G4's that followed them) have
USB and FireWire instead.  Both have PCI slots.

Quote:>Better make sure that the Minolta scanner doesn't have same requirement;
>many scanners (and cameras) DO state that in their specs.

The Scan Elite uses SCSI, which is no problem on my current machine, but
will be a problem on my *next* Mac unless I buy a SCSI adapter card for it
(maybe even then!).  That's why I decided to go with USB this time,
because I was planning on buying a new Mac next year, probably.

Actually, now I'm mulling the idea of using all this as an excuse to buy a
new Mac right now, or at least when I get back from a trip next month.  
The big question is, could I stand the total hit on my checkbook?  ;-)

--

Dept. of Physics and Computer Science        Clinton, South Carolina USA
[ Questions about newsgroups?  Visit http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/  ]

 
 
 

Nikon Coolscan IV and beige G3?

Post by Ed Hamric » Sun, 29 Apr 2001 15:33:04



> My Coolscan IV arrived today, but I can't get it to work (so far).
> Here's what I have:  beige PowerMac G3 (266 MHz), MacOS 8.6, Xircom 2-port
> PCI USB adapter card, Apple USB Card Support 1.4.1 software.

You might try VueScan with this configuration.  I got it working
with the CoolScan IV on a system with a very similar configuration
(250 MHz, Mac OS 8.5, PCI USB adapter card).

You can download VueScan 7.0.15 from:

  http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

 
 
 

Nikon Coolscan IV and beige G3?

Post by michel goldste » Sun, 29 Apr 2001 21:45:40


On my old pc I added a isa-card with an USB outlet, not an build-in
USB. And the Nikon Coolscan IV ED works on that USB. But the software
from Nikon is not so good. My new pc, much stronger,  has of course
USB connection. On this computer the Nikon scanner works very much
faster and more reliable. But still I get failures when I use the
software as stand-alone. The plug-in from Photoshop to the scanner
works perfect. Vuescan (7.0.5) with Nikon Coolscan IV ED works good on
negatives, but positives (Kodachrome) give wrong colors, even if I
choose Image and Neutral.
Michel golds*


>My Coolscan IV arrived today, but I can't get it to work (so far).  
>Here's what I have:  beige PowerMac G3 (266 MHz), MacOS 8.6, Xircom 2-port
>PCI USB adapter card, Apple USB Card Support 1.4.1 software.

>When I launch the Nikon Scan software, I can't get a "New Scan" window.

>The Apple System Profiler sees the scanner on the USB port.  I've tried
>disconnecting the printer that was connected to the other USB port (and
>rebooting).  I've tried powering the scanner off, waiting ten seconds,
>then powering it on again (as suggested in the Nikon Scan README file).

>Any other ideas?  Or does the note in the reference manual that "Only
>built-in USB ports are supported" really mean that adapter cards won't do?
>If that is in fact the case, I'll just have to send the Coolscan back and
>get a Minolta Scan Elite instead.

 
 
 

Nikon Coolscan IV and beige G3?

Post by Jon Be » Sun, 29 Apr 2001 23:40:21





>> My Coolscan IV arrived today, but I can't get it to work (so far).
>> Here's what I have:  beige PowerMac G3 (266 MHz), MacOS 8.6, Xircom 2-port
>> PCI USB adapter card, Apple USB Card Support 1.4.1 software.

>You might try VueScan with this configuration.

It works!  Thanks for suggesting I try it.  I knew about VueScan already
(even spent some time browsing through the online manual) and had been
planning to try it after I got the scanner working.  It didn't occur to me
to try it now because I thought there was a hardware incompatibility of
some kind.  But it seems the problem is with the NikonScan software
instead.

I've just sent in my registration fee for VueScan.  Now I can wait a bit
before buying that new Mac.  :-)

--

Dept. of Physics and Computer Science        Clinton, South Carolina USA
[ Questions about newsgroups?  Visit http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/  ]

 
 
 

Nikon Coolscan IV and beige G3?

Post by Mac McDougal » Sun, 29 Apr 2001 23:55:50






> >> My Coolscan IV arrived today, but I can't get it to work (so far).
> >> Here's what I have:  beige PowerMac G3 (266 MHz), MacOS 8.6, Xircom 2-port
> >> PCI USB adapter card, Apple USB Card Support 1.4.1 software.

> >You might try VueScan with this configuration.

> It works!  <etc>

Outstanding.
VueScan saves the day once again!
Helluva program, Ed....

Mac
www.doogle.com
============

 
 
 

Nikon Coolscan IV and beige G3?

Post by Ed Hamric » Mon, 30 Apr 2001 00:12:54



> It works!  Thanks for suggesting I try it.  I knew about VueScan already
> (even spent some time browsing through the online manual) and had been
> planning to try it after I got the scanner working.  It didn't occur to me
> to try it now because I thought there was a hardware incompatibility of
> some kind.  But it seems the problem is with the NikonScan software
> instead.

I'm glad it's working for you.

There's one problem I still need to fix with the strip film
adapter (it sometimes doesn't center the frame correctly).
I hope to get a loaner from Nikon next week to work on this.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

 
 
 

Nikon Coolscan IV and beige G3?

Post by Jon Be » Tue, 01 May 2001 00:56:10



[about using VueScan with the Coolscan IV]

Quote:>There's one problem I still need to fix with the strip film
>adapter (it sometimes doesn't center the frame correctly).
>I hope to get a loaner from Nikon next week to work on this.

Now that I've had a chance to play with the scanner a bit in between
grading final exams, I see what you mean about the centering.  
Fortunately, many of my pictures have lots of dead space for cropping, so
I can work on those until you can figure out a fix.

So far I'm impressed with the scan quality.  My first scans came out a bit
"flat" in contrast and brightness, but these particular pictures have some
prominent white areas illuminated by straight-on morning sunlight, so that
probably skewed things a bit.  I'll play with the settings in the Color
tab a bit and see if that helps; otherwise it's easy to punch things up in
Photoshop.

--

Dept. of Physics and Computer Science        Clinton, South Carolina USA
[ Questions about newsgroups?  Visit http://www.geocities.com/nnqweb/  ]

 
 
 

Nikon Coolscan IV and beige G3?

Post by Henri » Tue, 01 May 2001 17:54:41


Try adding 2 percent black- and whitepoint to give the pictures a
little more contrast. Also lower the gamma and add some picture
brightness (all this under the color tab), at least this works on my
windows PC on Vuescan with negatives.

-Henrik (remove .org)




>[about using VueScan with the Coolscan IV]

>>There's one problem I still need to fix with the strip film
>>adapter (it sometimes doesn't center the frame correctly).
>>I hope to get a loaner from Nikon next week to work on this.

>Now that I've had a chance to play with the scanner a bit in between
>grading final exams, I see what you mean about the centering.  
>Fortunately, many of my pictures have lots of dead space for cropping, so
>I can work on those until you can figure out a fix.

>So far I'm impressed with the scan quality.  My first scans came out a bit
>"flat" in contrast and brightness, but these particular pictures have some
>prominent white areas illuminated by straight-on morning sunlight, so that
>probably skewed things a bit.  I'll play with the settings in the Color
>tab a bit and see if that helps; otherwise it's easy to punch things up in
>Photoshop.

 
 
 

1. Nikon Coolscan IV and Coolscan 4000

WOW, what great products (or at least they look great on Nikon's website).
Does anyone know how much they are retailing for, and who has them in stock.
I can't find anyone on the web with prices, or even a mention of them
anywhere other than Nikon's site.

Totally Cool ICE3 support, and upgraded 2900dpi/3.6D for the Coolscan IV,
then the Coolscan 4000 blows me away with 4000dpi/4.2D/Multipass - but will
probably be way way out of my price range too.

Thanks for any info,

Roland

2. Seeking STLPort information for Tandem NSK

3. Nikon Coolscan IV: Is Nikons software needed if you use VueScan???

4. Manager support SNMP and NMVT

5. Nikon Coolscan IV and Nikon Scan 3.5

6. Help ME!

7. Nikon Coolscan II LS-20 vs Nikon Coolscan II LS-20 E

8. how TCP works

9. Security for Nikon Coolscan IV ED

10. Nikon Coolscan IV ED Updates anytime soon?

11. Vuescan w/ Nikon LS-40 (coolscan IV) - pixelated images

12. Where to buy Nikon Coolscan IV ED LS-40 scanner??

13. VueScan 7.6.24 hangs my Nikon Coolscan IV - vuescan.ini (0/1)