35mm Film scanner - 10 bit or 12 bit - whats gained ?

35mm Film scanner - 10 bit or 12 bit - whats gained ?

Post by Nicola » Sat, 02 Aug 1997 04:00:00

I have been trying to decide on which 35mm film scanner to buy for
sometime.
I would like to know which are the advantages of a 12 bit color depth scan
versus a 10 bit,
considering that the image file has 8 bit color depth in photoshop.

Best regards,

Post by Kym ap Rhy » Sat, 02 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> I have been trying to decide on which 35mm film scanner to buy for
> sometime.
> I would like to know which are the advantages of a 12 bit color depth scan
> versus a 10 bit,
> considering that the image file has 8 bit color depth in photoshop.

> Best regards,

Hi,

The 12 bit scanner is theoretically capable of a greater dynamic range
than the 10 bit (you would need to check the manufacturer's specs to
find out if this is actually so.)

Although most image formats and packages only support 8 bit colour, the
extra bits the scanners uses allow you to better tune exposure etc at
scan time - so you decide what data is lost, rather than the limitations
of the hardware.

In practice, a greater dynamic range will allow for better highlight and
shadow details in your scans.

Best Regards

Kym ap Rhys

35mm Film scanner - 10 bit or 12 bit - whats gained ?

Post by Wayne Fult » Tue, 05 Aug 1997 04:00:00

Quote:

>I have been trying to decide on which 35mm film scanner to buy for
>sometime.
>I would like to know which are the advantages of a 12 bit color depth scan
>versus a 10 bit,
>considering that the image file has 8 bit color depth in photoshop.

More dynamic range, that is, more depth and detail in the shadow tones.
Its important scanning slides, not very important scanning prints.

See page below, Basics, part 14.

--
Wayne

http://www.*ramp.net/~fulton/scans.html

1. 10 bits Versus 12 bits for image recognition

Hi!
    Anyone has experiences pertaining to this topic? How much improvement
will I get from a 12 bits system over a 10 bits system for image
recognition? Or is there a noticeable improvement anyway? Any advices is
greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Regards,
John

2. Moving mail files to a new server (different company)

3. PIC How to: 24 Bit / 16 bit = 16 bit (division routine on a 8 bit PIC )

4. Play from disk sample players?

5. 8-bit vs 12-bit scanning

6. Fuzzy Logic Applications

7. 8 bit or 12 bit

8. FT or FS: Rex III organizer

9. small MCU with 12-bit ADC and 8-bit PWM output ?

10. convertir un mot de 16 bits en un mot de 12 bits

11. Fast 12 bit multiply on 8 bit machine

12. 12-bit Data in 16-bit VOI LUT

13. 10 bit packed as 8 bit unpacking