Scanning at 36 bits

Post by Peter/Hanna Uttin » Sat, 02 Oct 1999 04:00:00

I am new to scanning- just bought a Genius ColorPage VividPro11 Film
flat bed scanner. This is a normal flat bed scanner which has an
attachment for scanning 35mm positive or negative films.
It offers several modes for scanning with its TWAIN software, among
which are photos and films.
It does a nice job, as far as I can see, but whether I chose photo or
film, the result only comes back as being scanned at 24 bits, while it
claims to be a 36 bit scanner.
I have heard that scanning at 36 bits allows for greater detail in
shadow, and would like to explore this if possible. Can anyone suggest
how to acheive this? It doesn't seem likely that KYE would produce
hardware which can scan at 36 bits and not povide equally capable
software?
Thanks in advance
Peter

Scanning at 36 bits

Post by Wayne Fult » Sat, 02 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>I am new to scanning- just bought a Genius ColorPage VividPro11 Film
>flat bed scanner. This is a normal flat bed scanner which has an
>attachment for scanning 35mm positive or negative films.
>It offers several modes for scanning with its TWAIN software, among
>which are photos and films.
>It does a nice job, as far as I can see, but whether I chose photo or
>film, the result only comes back as being scanned at 24 bits, while it
>claims to be a 36 bit scanner.
>I have heard that scanning at 36 bits allows for greater detail in
>shadow, and would like to explore this if possible. Can anyone suggest
>how to acheive this? It doesn't seem likely that KYE would produce
>hardware which can scan at 36 bits and not povide equally capable
>software?
>Thanks in advance
>Peter

Most scanners today are 30 or 36 bits, but most return only only 24 bits at the
output.  Most photo programs cannot accept more than 24 bits (Photoshop is one
of the very few that will accept it, the 36 bits are stored in 48 bit data).

The importance of a 36 bit scanner is that the scanner scans at 36 bits, the
internal data is 36 bits, the scanner tools work on 36 bit data (histogram,
curve, gamma, color wheel).  This is where it is important, when there are
great tone shifts performed on the data.  Then most scanners convert to 24 bit
data for output, and most photo programs and file formats, and all video
screens and printers expect 24 bits.

Some scanners can output the 36 bit internal data, but certainly many will not.
The only use of outputting 36 bit data would be to use the tools in Photoshop
(Levels, Curve, color balance, etc), and then convert manually to 24 bits. The
reason would be if the Photoshop tools are better than the scanners tools.
If the scanner provides good tools, then there is generally little point of
outputting 36 bit data.

--
Wayne

http://www.scantips.com/     "A few scanning tips"

Scanning at 36 bits

Post by De.. » Sun, 03 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Corel Photo Paint 9 will also accept 36bit as well, like Photoshop you end
up with a 48bit picture. Unless your goal is print there's really no reason
to use this color depth. It takes up much more space and you haven't gained
anything. Converting the image to 24bit after the 36bit scan is what I do
for images that are for the screen.

> >I am new to scanning- just bought a Genius ColorPage VividPro11 Film
> >flat bed scanner. This is a normal flat bed scanner which has an
> >attachment for scanning 35mm positive or negative films.
> >It offers several modes for scanning with its TWAIN software, among
> >which are photos and films.
> >It does a nice job, as far as I can see, but whether I chose photo or
> >film, the result only comes back as being scanned at 24 bits, while it
> >claims to be a 36 bit scanner.
> >I have heard that scanning at 36 bits allows for greater detail in
> >shadow, and would like to explore this if possible. Can anyone suggest
> >how to acheive this? It doesn't seem likely that KYE would produce
> >hardware which can scan at 36 bits and not povide equally capable
> >software?
> >Thanks in advance
> >Peter

> Most scanners today are 30 or 36 bits, but most return only only 24 bits
at the
> output.  Most photo programs cannot accept more than 24 bits (Photoshop is
one
> of the very few that will accept it, the 36 bits are stored in 48 bit
data).

> The importance of a 36 bit scanner is that the scanner scans at 36 bits,
the
> internal data is 36 bits, the scanner tools work on 36 bit data
(histogram,
> curve, gamma, color wheel).  This is where it is important, when there are
> great tone shifts performed on the data.  Then most scanners convert to 24
bit
> data for output, and most photo programs and file formats, and all video
> screens and printers expect 24 bits.

> Some scanners can output the 36 bit internal data, but certainly many will
not.
> The only use of outputting 36 bit data would be to use the tools in
Photoshop
> (Levels, Curve, color balance, etc), and then convert manually to 24 bits.
The
> reason would be if the Photoshop tools are better than the scanners tools.
> If the scanner provides good tools, then there is generally little point
of
> outputting 36 bit data.

> --
> Wayne

> http://www.scantips.com/     "A few scanning tips"

1. Visioneer 6100: no 36 bit scanning at 1200 or 2400dpi ??

Has anyone else been able to get 36 bit, 1200 or 2400 dpi
scans from the Visioneer 6100 USB ??  I'm using it with
Photoshop 5.1 (?) and am able to get 36 bit scans at
up to 600 dpi.  When I try to get higher resolution scans
with 36 bit output, I end up with a solid black image.

I wrote to Visioneer customer service and all they said
was "try scanning at lower resolutions" -- NOT the answer
I was looking for.  Trying to pass off a comment like
that as "customer service" makes me wonder if that
department gets a lot of bricks thrown through their windows.
I got the feeling that they were doing their best to not
admit that 1) the driver might have bugs in it and 2) it
was not going to be fixed.

The last time I checked, I was using the latest driver -
I wonder if any of the drivers for their other scanners
could be configured to work with this one?

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!!

Chip

2. site assignment / discovery question

3. to scan 30 or 36 bits for inkjet printer ????

4. direct parallel cable connection between windows me and 2000

5. Mac sluggish after scans; 36-bit?? (Microtek X6EL)

6. Net access

7. Umax 1220s 36 bits scans?

8. Hint

9. Umax 1220s and 36 bit scans

10. VueScan and 36 bits on 24-bit-scanners

11. Epson 1200U: When is 36 bit really 24 bit?

12. 36 bit v. 48 bit scanner