Umax Astra 1200x, Mac Beige G3, possible SCSI blow out

Umax Astra 1200x, Mac Beige G3, possible SCSI blow out

Post by Maureen Dillo » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I have an Astra 1200s connected to a Macintosh Beige G3. I was
rearranging my computer area recently, and accidentally plugged in my
scanner to the power unit for my cable modem, and vise/versa. The output
on the power unit for the cable modem is 24v, and the scanner 12volts.

It seems to have blown out the power unit for the cable modem. I can
still get power to the scanner from the power plug (a blinking green
light), but my G3 is not recognizing the scanner. I ran the shareware
utility "SCSI Probe", and it isn't recognizing the SCSI port set on the
scanner. I tried using a power unit from another Astra 1200s (also 12v)
and it didn't work either.

Can this be rectified?  Did I blow out my SCSI port? Would reinstalling
the drivers help? Will the scanner still work on another machine? Is
there any risk of further damage to my computer?

Thanks,

Maureen

Umax Astra 1200x, Mac Beige G3, possible SCSI blow out

Post by Leon Ober » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have an Astra 1200s connected to a Macintosh Beige G3. I was
> rearranging my computer area recently, and accidentally plugged in my
> scanner to the power unit for my cable modem, and vise/versa. The output
> on the power unit for the cable modem is 24v, and the scanner 12volts.

> It seems to have blown out the power unit for the cable modem.

I doubt that your cable modem is blown out by half the power of the Umax
power supply.

Quote:> Can this be rectified?  Did I blow out my SCSI port?

Yes this could be a possibility (the other way around double the power on
your scanner and ports), but I think only the mainboard of your scanner is
blown out..

Quote:> Would reinstalling
> the drivers help? Will the scanner still work on another machine?

The only way to know is to try. But I gues you blow out the scanners
mainboard.

Quote:> Is there any risk of further damage to my computer? The best way is to

--
Regards, Lon Obers

******* Umax scan examples with transparency adapter *******
***** MagicScan 4.3 / 4.4 + lots of scan-tips & tricks *****

     http://go.to/Umax_Tips_&_Tricks (My personal Umax-site)
     http://go.to/Umax               (Short name,  same URL)

Umax Astra 1200x, Mac Beige G3, possible SCSI blow out

Post by Phil Lefebv » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:00:00

In article

>Hi,

>I have an Astra 1200s connected to a Macintosh Beige G3. I was
>rearranging my computer area recently, and accidentally plugged in my
>scanner to the power unit for my cable modem, and vise/versa. The output
>on the power unit for the cable modem is 24v, and the scanner 12volts.
>Can this be rectified?  Did I blow out my SCSI port? Would reinstalling
>the drivers help? Will the scanner still work on another machine? Is
>there any risk of further damage to my computer?

Unless they had special circuit protectors (and I doubt a cheap scanner
would) it is pretty likely that you fried the scanner.

You may or may not have damaged the SCSI port. UMAX scanners are notorious
for not being Mac-SCSI-friendly, so it is hard to say if it might have
done something to your SCSI port. The only way to test the SCSI port is to
see if another SCSI device will work on it.

If you want to be safe, I'd take it all in to a service place. TekServ in
NYC is famous for being a great Mac service center.

--
Phil Lefebvre
Chicago, IL

Umax Astra 1200x, Mac Beige G3, possible SCSI blow out

Post by Maureen Dillo » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Thanks for the reply.

I know it sounds weird that the power unit for the cable modem got blown out.
But when I switched them back, I got no power for the cable modem. A
technician is coming by tonight to try to get that going, so I'll let you
know.

Maureen

> > I have an Astra 1200s connected to a Macintosh Beige G3. I was
> > rearranging my computer area recently, and accidentally plugged in my
> > scanner to the power unit for my cable modem, and vise/versa. The output
> > on the power unit for the cable modem is 24v, and the scanner 12volts.

> > It seems to have blown out the power unit for the cable modem.

> I doubt that your cable modem is blown out by half the power of the Umax
> power supply.

> > Can this be rectified?  Did I blow out my SCSI port?

> Yes this could be a possibility (the other way around double the power on
> your scanner and ports), but I think only the mainboard of your scanner is
> blown out..

> > Would reinstalling
> > the drivers help? Will the scanner still work on another machine?

> The only way to know is to try. But I gues you blow out the scanners
> mainboard.

> > Is there any risk of further damage to my computer? The best way is to
> > test by a computer service center.

> --
> Regards, Lon Obers

> ******* Umax scan examples with transparency adapter *******
> ***** MagicScan 4.3 / 4.4 + lots of scan-tips & tricks *****

>      http://go.to/Umax_Tips_&_Tricks (My personal Umax-site)
>      http://go.to/Umax               (Short name,  same URL)

Umax Astra 1200x, Mac Beige G3, possible SCSI blow out

Post by Maureen Dillo » Thu, 17 Aug 2000 04:00:00

I'm not so concerned about the scanner,  because it is so cheap. And I just
put in a PCI USB/Firewire card, so I can work around the SCSI port. I'm a
little worried now about whether this stupid mistake will wreak any further
damage.

Thanks for the reply, and the tip on TekServ. Someone else mentioned them
recently.

Maureen

> In article

> >Hi,

> >I have an Astra 1200s connected to a Macintosh Beige G3. I was
> >rearranging my computer area recently, and accidentally plugged in my
> >scanner to the power unit for my cable modem, and vise/versa. The output
> >on the power unit for the cable modem is 24v, and the scanner 12volts.

> >Can this be rectified?  Did I blow out my SCSI port? Would reinstalling
> >the drivers help? Will the scanner still work on another machine? Is
> >there any risk of further damage to my computer?

> Unless they had special circuit protectors (and I doubt a cheap scanner
> would) it is pretty likely that you fried the scanner.

> You may or may not have damaged the SCSI port. UMAX scanners are notorious
> for not being Mac-SCSI-friendly, so it is hard to say if it might have
> done something to your SCSI port. The only way to test the SCSI port is to
> see if another SCSI device will work on it.

> If you want to be safe, I'd take it all in to a service place. TekServ in
> NYC is famous for being a great Mac service center.

> --
> Phil Lefebvre
> Chicago, IL
> Remove REMOVE from e-mail address to reply.

1. Umax Astra 1200S on Beige G3 under OS X with Vuescan--Not Found

Hey guys, I have an Astra 1200S that a friend gave me a while back, and
I'm not having any luck getting Vuescan to find it. The Apple System
Profiler doesn't see it either--it doesn't even see my SCSI chain at
all. I'm running OS X v. 10.2.
--
    __                        __
   /  )                      /  )

2. ITS ONLY ROCK AND ROLL

3. VueScan Beige G3 Microtek ScanMaker X6EL SCSI OS X 10.2

4. FS: Atari 1040 STf + Steinberg s/w

5. OS 10.2 + G3 (beige) and scsi ?

6. openSP, xml, and byte order mark

7. VueScan Mac OS X and Beige G3

8. Unix or NT

9. external CDRW on a Mac Beige G3

10. Umax Astra 2400S and non Umax SCSI cards

11. UMAX ASTRA 1200S, IS IT A SCSI-2 OR SCSI SCANNER?

12. Astra 1200S & g3/mac

13. Beige G3 using OSX not recognizing scanner