New to scanners, need advice !

New to scanners, need advice !

Post by David Sworde » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 11:54:08



Greetings,

    I'd like to create a "paperless office" here at home and was hoping that
you could give me some advice regarding which scanner to buy. Between
letters, bills, and financial statements, I probably receive about one
hundred pieces of paper per month and my goal would be to scan these as they
come in and throw out the paper. What kind of scanner would you recommend
for a guy like me?

    I'd also like to know what format is used to store scanned images. Do
scanners save images as JPG just like digital cameras do?

    Lastly, do scanners come with an application to manage the scanned
images? For example, let's say I scanned in my cell phone bill. I'd like to
be able to associate keywords with this image (like "phone" or "bill" or
"cell") so that I can later search for documents using these keywords. Does
this make sense? Any help would be appreciated.

--
If you need to reach me by email, use dsworde1 AT san DOT rr DOT com

David

 
 
 

New to scanners, need advice !

Post by Who you kidding » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 13:17:37


I have a HP 5370 C USB that would be perfect.  I'm fixing to upgrade to a
Higher resolution and this will be more than you need for documents.  I paid
300.00 for it less than a year ago but I'll sell it for Ebay price and
include the latest version of OCR software for document scanning.

You can look up the specs on www.HP.com

Shipped to your home for $100.00 or best offer?

I can accept Visa, MC, or American Express as well as PayPal.  I have the
original box and all the documentation that came with it.

--
Thanks,
Dave

"The Penguy"
www.penguy.com

Deer Antler And * Wood Pens Starting at $16.00

PS  We offer a 15% discount on your next order if we receive a sell from a
referral from you.  If the referral order is over $200.00 you receive a pen
of your choice free.

   __o
 _`\(,_
(_)/ (_)


Quote:> Greetings,

>     I'd like to create a "paperless office" here at home and was hoping
that
> you could give me some advice regarding which scanner to buy. Between
> letters, bills, and financial statements, I probably receive about one
> hundred pieces of paper per month and my goal would be to scan these as
they
> come in and throw out the paper. What kind of scanner would you recommend
> for a guy like me?

>     I'd also like to know what format is used to store scanned images. Do
> scanners save images as JPG just like digital cameras do?

>     Lastly, do scanners come with an application to manage the scanned
> images? For example, let's say I scanned in my cell phone bill. I'd like
to
> be able to associate keywords with this image (like "phone" or "bill" or
> "cell") so that I can later search for documents using these keywords.
Does
> this make sense? Any help would be appreciated.

> --
> If you need to reach me by email, use dsworde1 AT san DOT rr DOT com

> David


 
 
 

New to scanners, need advice !

Post by David Sworde » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 13:40:47


Quote:> I have a HP 5370 C USB that would be perfect.  I'm fixing to upgrade to a
> Higher resolution and this will be more than you need for documents.  I
paid
> 300.00 for it less than a year ago but I'll sell it for Ebay price and
> include the latest version of OCR software for document scanning.

> You can look up the specs on www.HP.com

> Shipped to your home for $100.00 or best offer?

    Hmm, I don't like buying used stuff.... I am, however, considering
purchasing one of your deer antler pens. :)

David

 
 
 

New to scanners, need advice !

Post by Meliss » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 20:45:06


I use PaperPort 7 to do exactly as you say.  While I'm not an "office", we
do get a lot of paper here. Many times I need the information, but not the
paper itself.

You can create folders in the PP software to organize your stuff. It is
saved in the PP format, so you need that program to read or print any items
after you've scanned them.  It also "Links" to most formats, so you can
"drag" a document or picture into another piece of software for editing.
Example....say you've scanned a photo.  You can drag the photo to your
Photoshop Link which will open the picture in Photoshop.

Right now I am using a Microtek 5600 scanner. For years I used an HP 4P.

The PaperPort software also adds a "printer driver" to your list of
installed printers.   I can use this feature if I am on the web and want to
archive a web page, or an online receipt.  You select Print, then PaperPort,
and the web page is saved into the PP software. I like that feature a great
deal. It saves a ton of paper for me.

Anyway, just one person's opinion.

http://www.visioneer.com/Products/software.html

Melissa


Quote:> Greetings,

>     I'd like to create a "paperless office" here at home and was hoping
that
> you could give me some advice regarding which scanner to buy. Between
> letters, bills, and financial statements, I probably receive about one
> hundred pieces of paper per month and my goal would be to scan these as
they
> come in and throw out the paper. What kind of scanner would you recommend
> for a guy like me?

>     I'd also like to know what format is used to store scanned images. Do
> scanners save images as JPG just like digital cameras do?

>     Lastly, do scanners come with an application to manage the scanned
> images? For example, let's say I scanned in my cell phone bill. I'd like
to
> be able to associate keywords with this image (like "phone" or "bill" or
> "cell") so that I can later search for documents using these keywords.
Does
> this make sense? Any help would be appreciated.

> --
> If you need to reach me by email, use dsworde1 AT san DOT rr DOT com

> David

 
 
 

New to scanners, need advice !

Post by David Sworde » Thu, 09 Jan 2003 21:09:31


Quote:> I use PaperPort 7 to do exactly as you say.  While I'm not an "office", we
> do get a lot of paper here. Many times I need the information, but not the
> paper itself.

    PaperPort looks awesome! Thanks for the tip.
 
 
 

1. Help, Need Advice - Fix dead film scanner or buy new one.

OK unless I can somehow get an extended warranty on the Polaroid sprintscan
4000 that doesn't work (I wasn't the original purchaser) It will cost approx
$500 to fix. This is getting into the price of a new scanner, though not
quite at the same resolution level.

What would you all suggest, spend $500 to get it fixed or buy a new $500
model, or even $250 for a minolta scan dual. What reasons one way or
another.

Cheers,

Justin.

--
Remove underwear to reply direct.

Spambait





2. Neolt Plotters

3. need advice on new scanner

4. Help! Microsoft Outlook won't send my outbox files once it gets them from my pocket pc

5. Need expert advice on new hybrid scanner.

6. Turbo Pascal and OOP

7. Advice Please...new printer or scanner

8. Pop-Up messages after printing?

9. Need advice on choise of scanner

10. Film Scanner advice needed

11. Need Advice for PrimeFilm Slide Scanner

12. Packard Bell Scanner Annoyance - Advice Needed

13. Advice Needed On SCSI Cable for my old Primax Scanner!