VueScan "Filter | Infrared defects" option

VueScan "Filter | Infrared defects" option

Post by Bart van der Wol » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 06:27:49

This option was added in version 7.5.29.

It is not documented in the helpfile, and I can't remember reading it in
this group, but saving a TIFF with this option set, results in an imagefile
which includes these defects. I haven't tried saving other file types, but I
wondered if this is the intended behaviour.

The way it works right now, it's only an inspection toggle. That's useful
enough, because it e.g. prevents a prudent user from setting the focuspoint
on a surface defect instead of the emulsion layer. It also is a good
reminder to give the film another pre-scan cleaning to reduce the number of
defects. But one should not forget to switch it off before the final scan. I
would have preferred if it only shows-up in the preview pane and not in the
final scan.

Bart

P.S. I could have e-mailed this question to Ed Hamrick, but then all other
users would be left uninformed. A response from Ed or another informed user
is appreciated.

VueScan "Filter | Infrared defects" option

Post by Ed Hamric » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 15:41:01

Quote:> I would have preferred if it only shows-up in the preview pane and not in
the
> final scan.

I'll make this change if nobody objects.  Speak now or forever
hold your peace <smile>.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

Post by wall » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 22:00:37

>> I would have preferred if it only shows-up in the preview pane and not in
>the
>> final scan.

>I'll make this change if nobody objects.  Speak now or forever
>hold your peace <smile>.

>Regards,
>Ed Hamrick

What are we talking about?

I can imagine leaving things out of the preview pane to save on preview time,
(like IR clean, especially if doing a low rez preview) but I'd think you'd
generally want the final scan to be processed the same way the preview pane
view is showing!

I admit I've missed eariler posts in this thread!

--wally.

VueScan "Filter | Infrared defects" option

Post by Bob Shomle » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 23:34:43

Quote:>>>...saving a TIFF with this option set, results in an imagefile
>>>which includes these defects.
>>I would have preferred if it only shows-up in the preview pane
>>and not in the final scan.

>I'll make this change if nobody objects.  Speak now or forever
>hold your peace <smile>.

> Regards,
> Ed Hamrick

Seems like a good idea to make the change.  What would happen with a
save from preview?

Bob Shomler

Post by Ed Hamric » Tue, 04 Jun 2002 23:38:42

> Seems like a good idea to make the change.  What would happen with a
> save from preview?

The only thing that would show the infrared defects would
be the Preview and Scan tabs.  The files wouldn't show the
infrared defects.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

VueScan "Filter | Infrared defects" option

Post by shA » Wed, 05 Jun 2002 23:20:25

Ed writes ...

Quote:> ...
> ...  The files wouldn't show the infrared defects.

  I would also like to see this change.  The current release is
7.5.30, but I see no mention of this specific change in the version
description.  I'll assume you will mention it, and it will be a later
release(?)

shAf  :o)

VueScan "Filter | Infrared defects" option

Post by Pat Lawrenc » Fri, 07 Jun 2002 05:24:26

Ed

Count me amont those wanting the change...............

Thanks!

Pat

--
Sometimes it's better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission........