Does USB tie up system?

Post by Edward Le » Fri, 14 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Can anyone tell me whether USB scanners tie up my system so that I can't do
other tasks while an image is being scanned?

This was the case with my current SCSI scanner when using the included ISA
SCSI card. Now that I use a higher end SCSI card, I can perform other tasks
scanning.

I'd like to stick with a SCSI scanner. However, I really like the one-touch
buttons on the Visioneer and IBM scanners.

I also like the way the Visioneer scanner is on all the time. No need to
restart the computer if I forgot to turn the scanner on first. Is this a
feature only found in Visioneer scanners? Is this a feature only found in
USB scanners?

Thanks for any information,
Ed :Lee

Does USB tie up system?

Post by Ken Russel » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Edward,

My USB takes over the PC while scanning.
Why would you want to do something else in the short time it takes to do a
scan?

Ken

Quote:> Can anyone tell me whether USB scanners tie up my system so that I can't
do
> other tasks while an image is being scanned?

> This was the case with my current SCSI scanner when using the included ISA
> SCSI card. Now that I use a higher end SCSI card, I can perform other
tasks
> scanning.

> I'd like to stick with a SCSI scanner. However, I really like the
one-touch
> buttons on the Visioneer and IBM scanners.

> I also like the way the Visioneer scanner is on all the time. No need to
> restart the computer if I forgot to turn the scanner on first. Is this a
> feature only found in Visioneer scanners? Is this a feature only found in
> USB scanners?

> Thanks for any information,
> Ed :Lee

Does USB tie up system?

Post by H.W. Stockma » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> Edward,

> My USB takes over the PC while scanning.
> Why would you want to do something else in the short time it takes to do a
> scan?

This sort of behavior was more common under Win95.  The new (Win98) USB
drivers are supposed to stream far better, and play nice with system
resources.  What platform/OS/ scanner do you have?

1. USB fried burned USB dead USB broke USB ABIT KT7 MOTHERBOARD BAD USB

We have an ABITKT7 and 4 devices on USB and all of a sudden it stopped
working too! Doesn't seem to supply power any more to USB.  We Flashed the
BIOS and it made no diff either.

Anyone else lost USB on their motherboard before???  Is this common, or
just a prob w/ ABIT?

Has anyone had their ABIT replaced?  How did you contact them?  If the
place you mail ordered from is gone, what do you do?
----

2. XP / Frontpage 2002 Authentication

3. tie or no_tie: What about tie and no_tie ?

4. Helpme to easy cd deluxe

5. data set doing rank descending ties=low

6. sendmail simple question - I have read the man pages

7. Slimscan C3 USB and Phantom 336cx USB system lockups

8. control panel visibility

9. USB 2.0 devices on USB 1.1 systems?

10. Visoneer 3100 USB Lock ups

11. usb mouse lock-ups

12. HELP! UPS Part for NCR/Exide UPS!

13. POP-UPS, LOSE OF CONNECTION, LOCK-UPS, MESSENGER