Scanning B/W negs in Vuescan as 48 bit RGB or 64 bit RGBI?

Scanning B/W negs in Vuescan as 48 bit RGB or 64 bit RGBI?

Post by Ric » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 12:14:34

Hello all,

I'm using Vuescan to scan various B/W negs with my LS-4000 scanner. I
have a quick question.... Since IR cleaning doesn't work with B/W
negs, should I scan them in 64 bit RGBI anyway? Or use 48-bit?

I assume the 64 bit mode includes the IR channel of the neg and since
this would include more dust,hair, etc. should I just use 48 bit?

Thanks,
Rick

Scanning B/W negs in Vuescan as 48 bit RGB or 64 bit RGBI?

Post by George » Tue, 02 Apr 2002 17:45:44

My opinion is that you'll waste the extra 16-bit infrared channel if
you're scanning silver-based B&W, since as you know it won't help
remove defects.

Of course, if you're using dye-based B&W, you oughta be all right with
RGBI.

> Hello all,

> I'm using Vuescan to scan various B/W negs with my LS-4000 scanner. I
> have a quick question.... Since IR cleaning doesn't work with B/W
> negs, should I scan them in 64 bit RGBI anyway? Or use 48-bit?

> I assume the 64 bit mode includes the IR channel of the neg and since
> this would include more dust,hair, etc. should I just use 48 bit?

> Thanks,
> Rick

Scanning B/W negs in Vuescan as 48 bit RGB or 64 bit RGBI?

Post by Ric » Wed, 03 Apr 2002 00:22:53

Thats what I thought as well. I'm scanning the silver halide
films(Trix,Delta,Tmax, etc.) not the chromo B/W films(xp2, etc), so I
thought 48bit should be enough.

I imagine the IR would work fine for chomo B/W films(xp2, etc) though.