Hamrick Vuescan gone very strange

Post by thief#3 » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 02:33:44

Hi all ! I use Hamrick's Vuescan 7.5.30 (which I think is the latest) and
W98SE and all was well. Now it will only open in something that wears a
Kodak logo. It will preview in Vuescan, marquee in Vuescan and scan in
Vuescan.  That far so good. But having asked it to scan (which it does) it
opens a 25MB file in possibly Kodak (which I do not have, er, well not shown
in add/delete or progs). This file cannot be manipulated by the easy
Viewscan numberpad options nor saved via key V

Indeed it is saved as a TIFF file using the save-icon and note not a tiff
file (the difference puzzles me) and this file cannot be made into a jpeg
and not even my PSPv7 will recognise it. I cannot compress it either. Lovely
quality of course. When saved it is saved with an icon on it that I do not
recognise but suspect it may be Kodak, certainly not Vuescan icon.

How did I get in this pickle. Because I uninstalled a Yamaha CD-R software
and removed my Yamaha firewire external CD writer permanently and sent it
back and the supplier agreed software defective. Money back pleased. This
somehow lost me my Epson twain stuff and since reloading twain I now cannot
run Vuescan all the distance. (Before, I thought that Vuewscan was not using
twain anyway, so much for a "thing without an interesting name" for I got a
name for it, damn sure!

I can incidentally work my scanner from PSPv7's acquire facility but this is
tedious. Hamrick Vuescan is quicker, much much easier and its save feature
is a super doddle. Ideaz plz folkz  Bruce +++

Post by Ed Hamric » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 06:53:52

> Hi all ! I use Hamrick's Vuescan 7.5.30 (which I think is the latest) and
> W98SE and all was well. Now it will only open in something that wears a
> Kodak logo. It will preview in Vuescan, marquee in Vuescan and scan in
> Vuescan.  That far so good. But having asked it to scan (which it does) it
> opens a 25MB file in possibly Kodak (which I do not have, er, well not
shown
> in add/delete or progs). This file cannot be manipulated by the easy
> Viewscan numberpad options nor saved via key V

The latest version of VueScan is 7.5.60.  You can download it from:

  http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html

However, this isn't the problem you're having.  The problem is
with the file associations on your system - the Kodak software
has taken over the file associations.

You can fix this by downloading VuePrint 8.0 from:

  http://www.hamrick.com/upg.html

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

Hamrick Vuescan gone very strange

Post by thief#3 » Fri, 15 Nov 2002 21:04:30

Have followed Hamrick's advice and downloaded for free-upgrade the latest
version of Vuescan. Lo & Behold, all problems solved, scanner working super,
Vuescan likewise, all excellent things from Hamrick like using the number
pad for easy manipulation of images (e.g. press the asterisk key one click
and the image takes on one shade more contrast), all that is working very
fine again. Press key V and the save feature opens to enable you to change
the pic-id to a better description is restored to its easy excellence. Am
again impressed. Why did my original go wrong? Please see Hamrick's
diagnosis this thread. Big thank you my friend, stay active, Bruce +++

Hamrick Vuescan gone very strange

Post by Brya » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 23:09:07

Hey, is there documentation somewhere about this asterisk key combo,
and the V-key, that you're talking about?  I don't see anything in the
VueScan help HTML about it...

Post by Ed Hamric » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 23:12:16

> Hey, is there documentation somewhere about this asterisk key combo,
> and the V-key, that you're talking about?  I don't see anything in the
> VueScan help HTML about it...

He was referring to using VuePrint as an image viewer for VueScan.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

Post by Pasi Savolaine » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 23:19:45

>> Hey, is there documentation somewhere about this asterisk key combo,
>> and the V-key, that you're talking about?  I don't see anything in the
>> VueScan help HTML about it...

> He was referring to using VuePrint as an image viewer for VueScan.

A new product slot perhaps?
In line of:

VueDict -- convert incomprehensible user-babble to readily understandable
           tekno -speak

:DD

(no offence meant to anyone, but I personally had real hard time following
original writer's line of thought)

--
   Psi -- <http://www.iki.fi/pasi.savolainen>
Vivake -- Virtuaalinen valokuvauskerho <http://members.lycos.co.uk/vivake/>

Post by Ed Hamric » Sat, 16 Nov 2002 23:36:19

> VueDict -- convert incomprehensible user-babble to readily understandable
>            tekno -speak

I regularly help out friends who are fairly inexperienced
with computers.  This can be quite useful and I recommend
it to everyone who uses computers a lot.  One thing I've
learned is that computers are completely mysterious things
to most people, and that this is perfectly normal.

I remember when I was a kid and first learning to use
computers.  My dad had an account on a time-shared mainframe
and I went in once to use it.  The printed instructions
said "Press Control-Escape" to begin (or something like that).
I pressed the control key and then the escape key - nothing
happened.  After doing this for 15 minutes, I had to ask
someone at the help desk.  It was quite embarrassing.

Just today, a friend called me trying to scan (I installed
a Canon N-series scanner for them, using the Canon TWAIN
software).  They pressed the button on the front of the
scanner, the scanner software started, then they ran Microsoft
Word and did a scan using the Canon software.  Nothing appeared
in the Word document. It isn't obvious to most people that this
won't work (use "Insert|Picture|From scanner or camera...").
It wasn't so long ago that I would have made the same error.

My favorite story is the tech support hotline that got a
call from someone saying their computer's cup holder had
broken (the CD-ROM tray).

To make a long story short, I'm always interested in people's
suggestions for making VueScan easier to use, especially for
inexperienced computer users.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

Hamrick Vuescan gone very strange

Post by Brya » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 01:17:18

Amen, brother.  :-)  I can make some suggestions in the
user-friendliness area if you'd like - just email me.  Being a
programmer and a newbie user can have its advantages.

Bryan

> > VueDict -- convert incomprehensible user-babble to readily understandable
> >            tekno -speak

> I regularly help out friends who are fairly inexperienced
> with computers.  This can be quite useful and I recommend
> it to everyone who uses computers a lot.  One thing I've
> learned is that computers are completely mysterious things
> to most people, and that this is perfectly normal.

> I remember when I was a kid and first learning to use
> computers.  My dad had an account on a time-shared mainframe
> and I went in once to use it.  The printed instructions
> said "Press Control-Escape" to begin (or something like that).
> I pressed the control key and then the escape key - nothing
> happened.  After doing this for 15 minutes, I had to ask
> someone at the help desk.  It was quite embarrassing.

> Just today, a friend called me trying to scan (I installed
> a Canon N-series scanner for them, using the Canon TWAIN
> software).  They pressed the button on the front of the
> scanner, the scanner software started, then they ran Microsoft
> Word and did a scan using the Canon software.  Nothing appeared
> in the Word document. It isn't obvious to most people that this
> won't work (use "Insert|Picture|From scanner or camera...").
> It wasn't so long ago that I would have made the same error.

> My favorite story is the tech support hotline that got a
> call from someone saying their computer's cup holder had
> broken (the CD-ROM tray).

> To make a long story short, I'm always interested in people's
> suggestions for making VueScan easier to use, especially for
> inexperienced computer users.

> Regards,
> Ed Hamrick

Hamrick Vuescan gone very strange

Post by Bart van der Wol » Wed, 20 Nov 2002 10:44:30

Quote:> Amen, brother.  :-)  I can make some suggestions in the
> user-friendliness area if you'd like - just email me.

In case you didn't know, you can do suggestions at the e-mail address
mentioned on his support page.

Bart

1. One for Mr. Hamrick - What is going wrong with my VueScan?!

Help!!

Here's a good one - my Vuescan 7.2.4 software (with Polaroid
Sprintscan 35ES) is apparently forgetting about something.  Any ideas?
 Looks like no yellow in the picture at all, it's dark, and there are
"Newton rings" (for lack of a better word).

Nothing I do makes this any better - no setting seems to fix it.

These problems occur with every type of film on Vuescan and do not
occur at all using Sprintscan import or Polacolor Insight.  The
software works fine with prints on a flatbed.

Here is a link to the picture with a comparison.

http://www.dantestella.com/hamrick.html

Ideas?

Thanks
Dante

2. I had to try it!

3. ed.hamrick@hamrick.com

4. Uploading Error Message in FP2000

5. To Ed Hamrick: VueScan 7.6.11 user interface bug

6. Sun Memory wth parity?

7. Ping: Ed Hamrick (Vuescan Preview)

8. VoIP-Voice modems

9. Thanks, Ed Hamrick & Vuescan re Color Tab options

10. Hamrick Vuescan question

11. Ed Hamrick (Vuescan 'install' problem)

12. Honour to Ed Hamrick and Vuescan!