Ping: Ed Hamrick (Vuescan Preview)

Post by Uni » Sat, 28 Dec 2002 07:35:54

I was going to post the question below, before I attempted to find a way
to answer my own question. I noticed that the Canon ScanGear has a
"Cancel" button while Previewing, which I thought would entirely cancel
the execution of the software, but it didn't. It provided me with a way
to get that partial preview. I did try this in Vuescan, and used the
"Abort" button/function, which does the same thing.

One thing I'm finding strange, in a good way, is that I can now switch
between ScanGear and Vuescan. Previously, if I executed Vuescan, the
ScanGear would no longer work, till a reboot.

However, I'm still hoping for that TWAIN interface for Vuescan <hint> :)

Thanks, Ed.

Uni

Quote:>I'm considering how to save time while scanning small images with a flatbed scanner, such as a
>Canon N670U. Do you know if it's possible to get a partial preview of the platen? In other words, if I >had a lot of small images to scan, and placed them towards the front of the platen, I currently have to >wait while the software/hardware does a full platen preview. I'd love to see a "Stop Preview" function >added to the ScanGear or Vuescan software. Do you know if this is possible, or is it a limitation of the >scanner hardware?
>Thanks.
>Uni
>p.s. Still keeping my fingers crossed for that TWAIN interface for Vuescan :)

Ping: Ed Hamrick (Vuescan Preview)

Post by Jeff Randa » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 06:26:42

Uni:

To limit the preview area, set the Crop|Region to Manual and then
adjust the Region X size and Region Y size to your liking.

To simulate a TWAIN driver interface, Check the External viewer in the
Prefs Tab and type in the full path to your image editor.  VueScan
will then open the scan in your viewer just like a TWAIN driver.  You
get the added advantage of a saved tif and/or jpg file. The process is
quicker if you have your editor already opened.

Jeff Randall

> I was going to post the question below, before I attempted to find a way
> to answer my own question. I noticed that the Canon ScanGear has a
> "Cancel" button while Previewing, which I thought would entirely cancel
> the execution of the software, but it didn't. It provided me with a way
> to get that partial preview. I did try this in Vuescan, and used the
> "Abort" button/function, which does the same thing.

> One thing I'm finding strange, in a good way, is that I can now switch
> between ScanGear and Vuescan. Previously, if I executed Vuescan, the
> ScanGear would no longer work, till a reboot.

> However, I'm still hoping for that TWAIN interface for Vuescan <hint> :)

> Thanks, Ed.

> Uni

> >I'm considering how to save time while scanning small images with a flatbed scanner, such as a
> >Canon N670U. Do you know if it's possible to get a partial preview

of the platen? In other words, if I >had a lot of small images to
scan, and placed them towards the front of the platen, I currently
have to >wait while the software/hardware does a full platen preview.
I'd love to see a "Stop Preview" function >added to the ScanGear or
Vuescan software. Do you know if this is possible, or is it a
limitation of the >scanner hardware?

Quote:

Post by Uni » Tue, 07 Jan 2003 12:18:44

> Uni:

> To limit the preview area, set the Crop|Region to Manual and then
> adjust the Region X size and Region Y size to your liking.

> To simulate a TWAIN driver interface, Check the External viewer in the
> Prefs Tab and type in the full path to your image editor.  VueScan
> will then open the scan in your viewer just like a TWAIN driver.  You
> get the added advantage of a saved tif and/or jpg file. The process is
> quicker if you have your editor already opened.

Thanks, Jeff. However, I prefer not to have large TIFF files created.
That's why I'd like to have a TWAIN interface. If I want to save a scan
file, I chose if it will be saved as TIFF.

I'll look into this Preview area, as mentioned above.

Thanks!

Uni

> Jeff Randall

> > I was going to post the question below, before I attempted to find a way
> > to answer my own question. I noticed that the Canon ScanGear has a
> > "Cancel" button while Previewing, which I thought would entirely cancel
> > the execution of the software, but it didn't. It provided me with a way
> > to get that partial preview. I did try this in Vuescan, and used the
> > "Abort" button/function, which does the same thing.

> > One thing I'm finding strange, in a good way, is that I can now switch
> > between ScanGear and Vuescan. Previously, if I executed Vuescan, the
> > ScanGear would no longer work, till a reboot.

> > However, I'm still hoping for that TWAIN interface for Vuescan <hint> :)

> > Thanks, Ed.

> > Uni

> > >I'm considering how to save time while scanning small images with a flatbed scanner, such as a
> > >Canon N670U. Do you know if it's possible to get a partial preview
> of the platen? In other words, if I >had a lot of small images to
> scan, and placed them towards the front of the platen, I currently
> have to >wait while the software/hardware does a full platen preview.
> I'd love to see a "Stop Preview" function >added to the ScanGear or
> Vuescan software. Do you know if this is possible, or is it a
> limitation of the >scanner hardware?

> > >Thanks.

> > >Uni

> > >p.s. Still keeping my fingers crossed for that TWAIN interface for Vuescan :)

Ping: Ed Hamrick (Vuescan Preview)

Post by Jeff Randa » Wed, 08 Jan 2003 03:00:21

Uni:

I haven't tried it, but have you tried unchecking Save tiff file,
et.al. in the Files Tab?

Jeff Randall