LS-30, beige G3, Vuescan, and OS-X anyone?

LS-30, beige G3, Vuescan, and OS-X anyone?

Post by Ralf R. Radermach » Sat, 13 Jul 2002 23:07:35

Well, the header says it all...

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher  -  DL9KCG  -  K?ln/Cologne, Germany
NEW URL!!! private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de

LS-30, beige G3, Vuescan, and OS-X anyone?

Post by Frat Boy Bus » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 00:06:49

Ralf

I think you'll have some performance issues with OS-X and the older
beige G3's. I tried to run it on the first G3 (233 mhz) and found it to
be unsatisfactory.

Good luck!

Quote:> Well, the header says it all...

--
"When the going gets weird - the weird turn pro"
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

Post by Gavin Gillespi » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 00:12:23

Quote:> Well, the header says it all...

Doesn't say much to me Ralf, are you trying to buy one, sell one,
looking for information on one, or looking for similar people with one?

--

Websites www.LawrencesEastwood.co.uk
www.Giltbrook.co.uk

Post by Ralf R. Radermach » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 00:32:04

> Doesn't say much to me Ralf, are you trying to buy one, sell one,
> looking for information on one, or looking for similar people with one?

Sorry, typical example of what's obvious to the author isn't always
quite as clear to his readers. Then again, everybody who is or has been
experimenting with OS X and what they now call "legacy" hardware would
obviously know what I'm after.

I'm wondering if anyone has a working set-up with the components
mentioned in the header.

That clear now? Fine. :-)

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher  -  DL9KCG  -  K?ln/Cologne, Germany
NEW URL!!! private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de
manual cameras and photo galleries - updated May 9, 2002
Contarex - Kiev 60 - Horizon 202 - P6 mount lenses

LS-30, beige G3, Vuescan, and OS-X anyone?

Post by Ralf R. Radermach » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 00:32:05

Quote:> I think you'll have some performance issues with OS-X and the older
> beige G3's. I tried to run it on the first G3 (233 mhz) and found it to
> be unsatisfactory.

After a day of testing, I'm not finding it noticeably slower than 9.1 on
my beige G3/266. The oppposite, even. Explorer is running a lot smoother
than under 9.1. Time will tell.

The only probs I have are with a 3rd party CD ROM drive which simply
isn't found and my LS-30. Well, apart from such oddities as Epson
announcing a new legacy driver for my Stylus 1200 Photo (the old driver
works perfectly well) instead of something for OS X.

Still, the Nikon would be enough of an obstacle to keep me from changing
completely to OS X, for the time being.

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher  -  DL9KCG  -  K?ln/Cologne, Germany
NEW URL!!! private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de
manual cameras and photo galleries - updated May 9, 2002
Contarex - Kiev 60 - Horizon 202 - P6 mount lenses

LS-30, beige G3, Vuescan, and OS-X anyone?

Post by Godfrey DiGior » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 01:05:20

I run Mac OS X on a PowerBook G3/300 when I'm testing things and don't
find it excessively slow either. Biggest issue is having enough RAM to
keep the system from paging too much. I have 256MB in the PB and that
seems enough for most purposes. Scanning is another matter, scanning and
image editing applications often need massive amounts of RAM and disk
space to be happy.

The typical difficulty with your setup, Ralf, is the SCSI implementation.
The beige G3 and many of the Adaptec SCSI cards in later machines have
driver problems, they work for some things (mostly storage devices) but
not for others. Most people are finding that using a FireWire->SCSI dongle
works better for Mac OS X in the B&W G3 and G4 cpus when it comes to
scanners, but the Beige G3 is a special problem since it doesn't have
FireWire built in.

Perhaps one of the SCSI cards that is known to work correctly..? I have
not worked with a SCSI device myself for over 2 years now so I can't offer
a specific recommendation.

You should also take the trouble to file a bug with Apple if the problem
turns out to be the SCSI driver for the built-in Beige G3 SCSI port.

Godfrey

>> I think you'll have some performance issues with OS-X and the older
>> beige G3's. I tried to run it on the first G3 (233 mhz) and found it to
>> be unsatisfactory.

>After a day of testing, I'm not finding it noticeably slower than 9.1 on
>my beige G3/266. The oppposite, even. Explorer is running a lot smoother
>than under 9.1. Time will tell.

>The only probs I have are with a 3rd party CD ROM drive which simply
>isn't found and my LS-30. Well, apart from such oddities as Epson
>announcing a new legacy driver for my Stylus 1200 Photo (the old driver
>works perfectly well) instead of something for OS X.

>Still, the Nikon would be enough of an obstacle to keep me from changing
>completely to OS X, for the time being.

>Ralf

LS-30, beige G3, Vuescan, and OS-X anyone?

Post by Frat Boy Bus » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 01:08:12

Ralf

I have had no problems with VueScan, OSX and Nikon scanners.

Take care............................

Quote:> After a day of testing, I'm not finding it noticeably slower than 9.1 on

--
"When the going gets weird - the weird turn pro"
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

LS-30, beige G3, Vuescan, and OS-X anyone?

Post by Frat Boy Bus » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 02:26:19

The one Adaptec SCSI card that WILL work in the G3's (beige and BW) is
their model number: Power Domain 2930

This SCSI card is Mac OS X compatible.

The standard SCSI interface in your G3 is about 5megs. per second
transfer rate and the Adaptec 2930 is 20megs.

I see them on eBay.com quite often for $30.00 (USD) or so.

Quote:> The beige G3 and many of the Adaptec SCSI cards in later machines have

--
"When the going gets weird - the weird turn pro"
Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

LS-30, beige G3, Vuescan, and OS-X anyone?

Post by Ralf R. Radermach » Sun, 14 Jul 2002 03:31:52

Quote:> The one Adaptec SCSI card that WILL work in the G3's (beige and BW) is
> their model number: Power Domain 2930

Trouble is I don't have a spare slot.

Ralf

--
Ralf R. Radermacher  -  DL9KCG  -  K?ln/Cologne, Germany
NEW URL!!! private homepage: http://www.fotoralf.de
manual cameras and photo galleries - updated May 9, 2002
Contarex - Kiev 60 - Horizon 202 - P6 mount lenses

1. VueScan plus LS-30 = LS-2000?

I'm thinking about ordering an LS-30 or LS-2000.  It will be used mostly
for scanning slides, many of which are high-contrast outdoor scenes
(K64, Velvia, E100).  Most scans will be saved as JPEGs for web pages
and archiving, a few will be used for digital prints.

Reading opinions in the newsgroup archives, I see claims that for
contrasty slides, the multi-scan capability and 12-bit converters of the
LS-2000 may give better results than the LS-30: more dynamic range, less
noise in shadows.  But I've also read that with VueScan software, the
LS-30 can do multi-scanning.  If I use VueScan, will there still be a
noticable difference between the LS-30 and LS-2000 scans?  How will this
show up?  My guess is that the multi-scan feature can reduce the
low-level noise, but that the LS-30 will still have inferior Dmax.

While I'm here, let me pop a couple of easy questions.

Do the Nikon scanners come in different packages for Mac and PC?  Some
of the on-line stores are showing different prices for Mac and PC.
Maybe one package has a SCSI card, and the other does not?

I'll be installing on a PowerMac 7600 (with G3 upgrade), which has PCI
slots and an external SCSI connector.  Can I connect the scanner to the
external SCSI bus, or must it be connected via a PCI-SCSI card?

--

2. Cannon bjc 4300

3. VueScan 0.1 for LS-30 and LS-2000 Available

4. VisualAge vs. PowerBuilder

5. Umax Astra 1200S on Beige G3 under OS X with Vuescan--Not Found

6. Epson Stylus 800 Model #P780A

7. VueScan Beige G3 Microtek ScanMaker X6EL SCSI OS X 10.2

8. Epson Stylus Color 680 is noisy

9. VueScan Mac OS X and Beige G3

10. Odd "glow" in B&W scans w/VueScan, Nikon LS-30

11. Nikon LS-30 with NikonScan & VueScan

12. Vuescan/Nikon LS-30/Powerbook G4 Ti/Adaptec 1480 scsi adapter = no go

13. Underexposure with white plastic mounted slides in Vuescan & Nikon LS-30