OS 10.2 + G3 (beige) and scsi ?

Post by Joakim Wende » Sun, 22 Sep 2002 18:18:44

2001-11-28 Ed Hamrick had the following knowledge :

Quote:>"There's a bug in the driver for the built-in SCSI in the beige G3 on
>Mac OS X.  I've reported this bug to Apple, and they've entered it
>into their database.  Any scanner that uses CDB's more than 6 bytes
>long (anything except Epson and HP SCL scanners) will fail, and this
>includes all UMAX scanners.

>Regards,
>Ed Hamrick"

Does anybody know (or even Ed) if this is corrected in "Jaguar" ?
I have a microtek X6 scanner that i'd like to connect to my G3 with
vuescan IF it works ...

TYIA
Joakim

--
Joakim Wendel
Remove obvious mail JUNK block for mail reply.

My homepage : http://violinist.nu

OS 10.2 + G3 (beige) and scsi ?

Post by Joseph Capolu » Mon, 30 Sep 2002 19:56:23

VueScan, Umax Scanners, Beige G3 and Mac OS X 10.2.1

It seems that the SCSI bug associated with 10.1 and Beige G3's HAS NOT
been fixed in Mac OS X 10.2.1 (Jag). I have a 233MHz G3 Desktop and a
Umax 600S, SCSI Flat bed Scanner. Niether the Apple System profiler or
VueScan recognises the scanner even when it is the only one plugged
in. I also have an external  ZIP drive and external Hard drive. These
come up in the System profiler with out the scaner plugged in. I also
tried putting them at the end of the daisy chain, after the scanner,
they did not show up then. So the G3 doesn't even recognsie the
scanner SCSI at all.

In the release notes for 10.2.1 it fixes issues with 'certain SCSI
scanners', so it might just be my Umax 600S. Not sure.

Has anyone else had any luck.

Joe

> 2001-11-28 Ed Hamrick had the following knowledge :

> >"There's a bug in the driver for the built-in SCSI in the beige G3 on
> >Mac OS X.  I've reported this bug to Apple, and they've entered it
> >into their database.  Any scanner that uses CDB's more than 6 bytes
> >long (anything except Epson and HP SCL scanners) will fail, and this
> >includes all UMAX scanners.

> >Regards,
> >Ed Hamrick"

> Does anybody know (or even Ed) if this is corrected in "Jaguar" ?
> I have a microtek X6 scanner that i'd like to connect to my G3 with
> vuescan IF it works ...

> TYIA
> Joakim

OS 10.2 + G3 (beige) and scsi ?

Post by Ed Hamric » Tue, 01 Oct 2002 16:35:27

> It seems that the SCSI bug associated with 10.1 and Beige G3's HAS NOT
> been fixed in Mac OS X 10.2.1 (Jag).

I haven't confirmed this myself, but I wouldn't be surprised if
this bug has reappeared in 10.2.1.  All Apple did between 10.2 and
10.2.1 is put the SCSI code back to the way it was in 10.1, since
so many third-party scanner programs got broken by 10.2 (Silverfast
and the Agfa software in particular).

Quote:> I have a 233MHz G3 Desktop and a
> Umax 600S, SCSI Flat bed Scanner. Niether the Apple System profiler or
> VueScan recognises the scanner even when it is the only one plugged
> in. I also have an external  ZIP drive and external Hard drive. These
> come up in the System profiler with out the scaner plugged in.

Someone reported to me that they solved a problem like this by
removing the external ZIP drive and rebooting.

However, if Apple System Profiler doesn't see the scanner, then
VueScan certainly won't either.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

OS 10.2 + G3 (beige) and scsi ?

Post by Joseph Capolu » Fri, 04 Oct 2002 20:53:29

My scanner didn't work under Mac OS X 10.2, I thought things may have
been added in 10.2.1 I guess not. I tried the scanner on it's own with
out the ZIP drive attached and still no luck.

Thanks for the reply, maybe I'll have to wait till 10.2.2???? I waited
a year before my USB HP printer would work with OS X.

Joseph

OS 10.2 + G3 (beige) and scsi ?

Post by Bruce A. Burdick, Jr » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:16:42

Quote:>> I have a 233MHz G3 Desktop and a
>> Umax 600S, SCSI Flat bed Scanner. Niether the Apple System profiler or
>> VueScan recognises the scanner even when it is the only one plugged
>> in. I also have an external  ZIP drive and external Hard drive. These
>> come up in the System profiler with out the scaner plugged in.

> Someone reported to me that they solved a problem like this by
> removing the external ZIP drive and rebooting.

> However, if Apple System Profiler doesn't see the scanner, then
> VueScan certainly won't either.

> Regards,
> Ed Hamrick

I'm trying to use my Umax Vista S-12 through the Belkin FireWire/SCSI
adapter (F5U541) (as you've recommended in this news group) to my TiBook 800
running 10.1.5.

Apple System Profiler sees the scanner:

    FireWire    80.0
    UMAX S-12       V2.0
    Vendor ID:    d016
    Speed:    200 Mb/sec
    GUID:    13637120d
    Vendor name:    UMAX
    Unit version:    66691

... but VueScan does not:

    No scanner found.

No vendor software has been installed. Classic mode is off.

Any insights? I'd love to get this working and send you (Ed) $40.

Thanks, in advance, for any consideration.

-B...

OS 10.2 + G3 (beige) and scsi ?

Post by Bruce A. Burdick, Jr » Thu, 10 Oct 2002 16:41:27

Turn it off. Disconnect it. Quit VueScan. Quit Apple System Profiler. Turn
it back on. Launch VueScan. It works!

So please ignore my earlier post. I forgot the old stand-by trick:
    "Jiggle the handle."

-B...

>>> I have a 233MHz G3 Desktop and a
>>> Umax 600S, SCSI Flat bed Scanner. Niether the Apple System profiler or
>>> VueScan recognises the scanner even when it is the only one plugged
>>> in. I also have an external  ZIP drive and external Hard drive. These
>>> come up in the System profiler with out the scaner plugged in.

>> Someone reported to me that they solved a problem like this by
>> removing the external ZIP drive and rebooting.

>> However, if Apple System Profiler doesn't see the scanner, then
>> VueScan certainly won't either.

>> Regards,
>> Ed Hamrick

> I'm trying to use my Umax Vista S-12 through the Belkin FireWire/SCSI
> adapter (F5U541) (as you've recommended in this news group) to my TiBook 800
> running 10.1.5.

> Apple System Profiler sees the scanner:

>   FireWire    80.0
>   UMAX S-12       V2.0
>   Vendor ID:    d016
>   Speed:    200 Mb/sec
>   GUID:    13637120d
>   Vendor name:    UMAX
>   Unit version:    66691

> ... but VueScan does not:

>   No scanner found.

> No vendor software has been installed. Classic mode is off.

> Any insights? I'd love to get this working and send you (Ed) $40.

> Thanks, in advance, for any consideration.

> -B...

OS 10.2 + G3 (beige) and scsi ?

Post by Richa » Sun, 20 Oct 2002 05:21:19

I have a Blueberry iBook G3 and a Microtek X6 USB scanner.  Will
VueScan work under OS 10.2 on my machine?

OS 10.2 + G3 (beige) and scsi ?

Post by Godfrey DiGiorg » Sun, 20 Oct 2002 07:05:11

VueScan will certainly work on an iBook and Jaguar, I'm not sure if the
Microtek X6 is supported. Check <http://www.hamrick.com/> for supported
scanners.

Godfrey

> I have a Blueberry iBook G3 and a Microtek X6 USB scanner.  Will
> VueScan work under OS 10.2 on my machine?

1. VueScan Beige G3 Microtek ScanMaker X6EL SCSI OS X 10.2

I was glad to read that the SCSI driver bug for beige G3s in 10.1 had
been fixed under 10.2. I tried VueScan with a Nikon LS-2000 attached
to the external SCSI of the beige G3 and VueScan recognized it and
scanned beautifully.

However, the Microtek ScanMaker X6EL which is on the same SCSI chain
was not recognized under 10.2 with VueScan 7.5.56. I use the flatbed
more than the slide scanner so I'd really like to get the X6EL to
work. I know I could get a Firewire-SCSI converter to get the X6EL to
work with VueScan under 10.2 but I'd like to try and avoid additional
expenses if possible.

Under the Apple System Profiler in 10.2, the LS-2000 shows up as a
removeable drive, the X6EL doesn't show up at all. Under OS 9,
everything is fine with both scanners.

I've tried attaching only the X6EL to the beige G3 and still VueScan
and ASP don't see it.

Does anyone know if there is an issue with the X6EL itself?

Has anyone managed to get their X6EL to work under 10.2 on a beige G3
with VueScan? (Preferably without resorting to a Firewire-SCSI
converter).

2. The Problem with ZD and Other Mags...

3. Umax Astra 1200S on Beige G3 under OS X with Vuescan--Not Found

4. I wonder the source code of OSIRIS

5. Vuescan and Belkin SCSI to Firewire under OS X 10.2

6. SMS GRATIS!

7. LS-30, beige G3, Vuescan, and OS-X anyone?

8. gcc objective-c compiling problems...

9. VueScan Mac OS X and Beige G3

10. Umax Astra 1200x, Mac Beige G3, possible SCSI blow out

11. MacOS 10.2.x VueScan doesn't see SCSI scanner...sometimes

12. Beige G3 using OSX not recognizing scanner