If only VueScan could identify clipped regions...

If only VueScan could identify clipped regions...

Post by Andromed » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 07:31:22

There's just one more thing I wish I could do with VueScan - or perhaps it's
there, and I've missed it...

One of the really cool things that PhotoShop lets you do with the Levels
command, is to move the input sliders, while pressing Alt/Option. This lets
you see just what will be lost if you clip the levels at any particular
point.

I know that in principal, I can look at the numbers displayed in the info
bar as I move the cursor over bits that I think might be affected by a
levels tweak - but the way PhotoShop does it is a lot more intuitive.

I've been surprised by the number of times that I've looked at the preview
histogram, and decided that there was nothing of consequence in the
highlights or shadows - only to discover, too late, that there was an area
that wasn't very big, but it was important enough to preserve the details in
it...

I don't know if VueScan adjusts the exposure in my Canon FS4000US to
optimise the dynamic range that I set with the black & white clipping
levels - or if I might as well leave them at 0% clipping, and tweak the
high-bit file in PhotoShop.

Cheers,

John

Post by Ed Hamric » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 23:37:24

> There's just one more thing I wish I could do with VueScan - or perhaps
it's
> there, and I've missed it...

> One of the really cool things that PhotoShop lets you do with the Levels
> command, is to move the input sliders, while pressing Alt/Option. This
lets
> you see just what will be lost if you clip the levels at any particular
> point.

I've added this to VueScan 7.5.67, and I'll release it today or
tomorrow.

I added an option to the Color tab (Intermediate options types)
to let you specify the color for clipped black pixels, clipped
white pixels, out of gamut pixels and infrared defect pixels.

You can separately set the colors of each type of pixel, either
None (the default), Red, Green, Blue, Cyan, Magenta or Yellow.

I just have a bit more work to do to keep track of each out
of gamut pixel.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

If only VueScan could identify clipped regions...

Post by Andromed » Mon, 16 Dec 2002 03:41:33

Thanks Ed,

I believe that this will really help me and others to get scans right the
first time!

Since you still seem to be in the process of developing this feature, I
wonder if I might take the liberty of offering a couple of thoughts on what
might work for the user interface...

For most scans, I think that the way you described the user interface will
work very well.

Occasionally, there are scans where the image is busy, and so it's hard to
see individual red, yellow, etc. pixels. For this kind of image, I like the
approach that PhotoShop takes, which is to set the part of the image that's
not being clipped to a uniform color. This makes the pixels of interest
stand out very clearly.

What do you think of adding a couple of wrinkles to the user interface:

1. Put a toggle in, which the user can click to display / not display the
    clipped & out of gamut colors. Our eyes are good at identifying change,
    so this would draw user's eyes to the regions which are being
    identified by color.

2. Add an option to display the in-gamut, or the unclipped pixels as a
uniform
    field - white, grey, or black.

Regards,

John

Post by Ed Hamric » Mon, 16 Dec 2002 03:49:56

> Since you still seem to be in the process of developing this feature, I
> wonder if I might take the liberty of offering a couple of thoughts on
what
> might work for the user interface...

I've already released it.  You can download VueScan 7.5.67 from:

  http://www.hamrick.com/vsm.html

Quote:> 1. Put a toggle in, which the user can click to display / not display the
>     clipped & out of gamut colors. Our eyes are good at identifying
change,
>     so this would draw user's eyes to the regions which are being
>     identified by color.

You can already do this - click on the image with the shift key
held down to display the previous image.

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

If only VueScan could identify clipped regions...

Post by Andromed » Mon, 16 Dec 2002 07:42:50

Thanks Ed!

I just tried it, and like it a lot.

Regards,

John