HP6200c versus X6EL versus P636 versus UMAX 2400s

HP6200c versus X6EL versus P636 versus UMAX 2400s

Post by AML0 » Sat, 14 Nov 1998 04:00:00

[This followup was posted to comp.periphs.scanners and a copy was sent to
the cited author.]

Quote:

> I've been pouring through dejanews for two days trying to find
> information on the 4 scanners listed above and I've gotten so
> many conflicting reports I'm about ready to shoot myself.

> I'm looking to buy a scanner for $450 or under.   Some things
> I'd like to know:

> Someone claimed that the HP 6200c had a dust problem, and the
> Umax Astra 2400s did not.  True or not?

 NOT

Quote:

> Someone else mentioned that the 6200 had a fake SCSI.  Just because it
> terminates the chain, or because it doesn't seem to like the newer
> SCSI cards?

 The 6200, I had one and took it back, has a pseudo-SCSI. It can only be
at the end of the SCSI chain, the power must be on. I used an Adaptec
2940 UW; the 6200 was incompatable with my other SCSI devices - hard
drive, Jaz, Zip, CD ROM - and caused incorrect read/writes ro rhe hard
drive.

Quote:

> What is HP's claim of 1200dpi Hardware Super Sampling?   The printout of
> the spec page says 600dpi optical, and "unlimited interpolation".
> Then what is "super sampling" if it's not interpolation?   When I played
> with an older ScanJet 5, I got the impression that it had something
> akin to an optical zoom, rather than just a digital zoom.   Is that
> what they mean?  A refocusing of the optics so that you can scan a smaller
> area at a higher dpi?

 Don't believe resolution claims.

Quote:

> Is the HP built in OCR feature useful? usable? crap?

 HP 6200 only has a 25 use version of the Caere software. ALL OCR
packages included with scanners are ::crap:: , light versions just don't
cut it even for the casual OCR user.

Alan

Post by Ian Frechet » Sun, 15 Nov 1998 04:00:00

[...]

I've heard that the X6EL has a proprietary SCSI connector.  Is it
a DB25 connector?   I know it mentions DB25 for the mac, and obviously
for parallel port support, but is it impossible to hook to any scsi
adapter other than the one they provide?

Why does the Epson Precision 636 claim 600x2400 optical and
the higher end Epson Expression 636 claim only 600x600?

The UMAX Astra 2400 looks like it might be saturating the colors more
than some of the other scanners.  True or not.

What other impressions of the Astra 2400s can you give?  I found
very little information scanner, which appears as though it should
be competing directly with the HP.

How would folks rate the above four scanners for ease of use versus
the ability to fiddle with the settings.   I know the HP is easy to use
and has lots of settings to play with if you turn off the defaults.
How do the others compare?

Is the HP built in OCR feature useful? usable? crap?

And I'd really like to hear someone answer the question someone else
recently posed about the utility of having the second dpi value 4 times
that of the first.. eg, 600x2400.   Is that the 2400 in the long or
short direction on the page?

All recomendations accepted.  Thanks.

        ian

HP6200c versus X6EL versus P636 versus UMAX 2400s

Post by Douglas Bryan McFarlan » Mon, 16 Nov 1998 04:00:00

At first, I bought a UMAX 1220s.  The first thing that I didn't like was
having to add UMAX's 25-pin SCSI card to my system.  I already had an
Adaptec 2940UW SCSI card in my system and didn't wish to use another slot
for SCSI.  After getting the scanner and software installed, I noticed that
scans from the 1220s had numerous vertical lines in the scanned pictures.
It took a lot of cleanup in Corel Photopaint to remove these lines.  In most
cases, removing the lines came with the cost of a softer (blurrer) picture.
In all, I probably got what I paid for it, which was around $130 from
CompUSA.

I wanted better quality scans, so I returned the UMAX and tried an HP 6200.
Of course it cost more than the UMAX, but it had a standard 50-pin SCSI
port, a USB port, a heavier, better-built chassis, and a bigger scanning
area (glass area).  I used the USB port on the 6200 because I don't have a
50-pin to 50-pin SCSI cable yet.  However, I plan to get one.  From other
messages in the scanner newsgroups, I discovered other people have
successfully used a 2940UW SCSI card with the 6200.  I expect similar
results.

I did notice that the 6200 had a cloudy look under the glass as mentioned by
others in the newsgroups.  One person mentioned that it was caused by
micro-fumes produced from heated plastic components under the glass.   This
has not had an affect on my scans, but it did bother me that I didn't have a
"perfectly" clean scanning glass.  So, I got on HP's website and found
instruction on how to remove the glass cover to clean the underside of the
glass.  It was very, very easy to do.  It just required removing two*
covers and four screws.  This allowed the glass top to come off very easily.
I next used a glass cleaner made by Armor All to clean the glass
streak-free.  Since that time, I have noticed that a cloudiness has
reappeared slightly.  The plastic component theory may be right.  However,
if I had a choice between lines in my scans and a cloudness under the glass,
I would pick the cloudness.  I consider lines in a scan to be a greater
problem.

In short, I'm happy with the 6200.  It's sturdy, has two types of
connection, pretty-smart software (that does allow some advanced adjustment,
unlike what others say), and has good scanning quality.  Plus, you usually
see more newsgroup messages concerning UMAX problems than HP 6200 problems.

Bryan McFarland
:)

HP6200c versus X6EL versus P636 versus UMAX 2400s

Post by Neno » Sat, 21 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Quote:>I did notice that the 6200 had a cloudy look under the glass as mentioned
by
>others in the newsgroups.  One person mentioned that it was caused by
>micro-fumes produced from heated plastic components under the glass.   This
>has not had an affect on my scans, but it did bother me that I didn't have
>"perfectly" clean scanning glass.  So, I got on HP's website and found
>instruction on how to remove the glass cover to clean the underside of the
>glass.  It was very, very easy to do.  It just required removing two*

Why you don't wrote where you find instructions?

Neno

HP6200c versus X6EL versus P636 versus UMAX 2400s

Post by Douglas Bryan McFarlan » Sat, 12 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I found instructions for an HP 6100 on HP's website at
http://hpcc923.external.hp.com/cposupport/scanners/support_doc/bps021...
.

The only difference I found with these instructions for the 6100 and my 6200
is in step 12 of the instructions.  Step 12 refers to a green plastic
stiffener near the back of the scanner.  I couldn't find such an object on
the 6200.

Bryan McFarland
:)

1. SNMPv2 versus IPSEC versus SSL versus Kerberos

Can enyone briefly sum up the differences (or pros and cons) between SNMP
v2, SSL, IPSEC and Kerberos?
Is there another major network security protocol other/better than these?

Thanks,

Patrick L. Knight

--
Posted from [63.85.115.10]

2. Absolute beginners C++ book

3. MAC versus Windows PC versus OS/2 PC for multimedia

4. AVVID - Dialogic compatibility

5. A2000 Ram cards

6. GVISION: MSDOS GNU C++ Turbo Vision -Reply

7. My particular RTOS dilemma: QNX 4 versus QNX Neutrino versus Pharlap ETS

8. PtolemyII versus SHIFT versus Hytech

9. Microtek X6 versus Umax 1220?

10. Astra 600P versus 610P: UMAX Replies

11. Plustek versus UMAX