Microtek V310/Win 98 freeze during scanning

Microtek V310/Win 98 freeze during scanning

Post by Gary Boweri » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a Win 98 system with 32Mb RAM. I can scan OK (standard size
photographs) up to resolutions of about 140dpi. If I try to  scan over
that the scanner beam will get about an inch down the photo and vibrate
back and forth and the system freezes and the only way to get out of it is
to turn the scanner off and back on. Closing all other programmes makes
(leaving only the volume control in the system tray) makes no difference.
I'm using version 2.5.1 of Scanmaker.

Do I need more RAM?

Is this a Port problem (my mouse also freezes for a few seconds when the
modem starts to dial out and at the beginning of disconnecting - not sure
if this is normal!). There are no conflicts showing in the Device listing,
and Resource Monitor sits between 65 and 85%.

Please help! I'd also appreciate replies e-mailed to me at

posts on its server for long.

Thanks, Gary

Post by Wayne Fult » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>Hi,

>I have a Win 98 system with 32Mb RAM. I can scan OK (standard size
>photographs) up to resolutions of about 140dpi. If I try to  scan over
>that the scanner beam will get about an inch down the photo and vibrate
>back and forth and the system freezes and the only way to get out of it is
>to turn the scanner off and back on. Closing all other programmes makes
>(leaving only the volume control in the system tray) makes no difference.
>I'm using version 2.5.1 of Scanmaker.

>Do I need more RAM?

>Is this a Port problem (my mouse also freezes for a few seconds when the
>modem starts to dial out and at the beginning of disconnecting - not sure
>if this is normal!). There are no conflicts showing in the Device listing,
>and Resource Monitor sits between 65 and 85%.

>Please help! I'd also appreciate replies e-mailed to me at

>posts on its server for long.

>Thanks, Gary

32 meg of ram is not a problem for 140 dpi.

If you did not go into your computers BIOS setup program and set your parallel
port to EPP mode, then that is probably a good bet.

--
Wayne

http://www.scantips.com/     "A few scanning tips"

1. Problems to expect when switching Microtek V310 to Win '98?

I expect to buy a just-discontinued HP computer next week that runs Win
'98 SE. (I won't have to worry about Me, thank goodness!)

Currently my Microtek V310 is attached to an older HP running Win'95
(passthrough to Lexmark 5700, both working fine now) and I have had no
trouble with the combination.  My plan is to drop the new computer in
place, load ScanWizaerd from the CD Microtek supplied and go about my
business.

Is there anything I should know about a V310 and Win '98?

Eventually I expect to replace it with a V6 (probably USB model), since
this seems to be a better scanner, and return the 310 to my old computer,
which will run what Win '95-only software I don't plan to update, making
it my back-up.

I'm hoping this will be painless.

Brendan

2. Outpost Pro screenshots

3. help microtek v310 win 98

4. attachment extensions

5. TP 560Z, Win 98, Com1 needed before Win 98 loads

6. start up error message

7. Microtek V310 with WIn XP? (Parallel Port)

8. Dsum help

9. Microtek Scanmaker II E6 - Win 98 Drivers ????

10. Microtek V310 Scanning Lamp or Image Sensor Failure (help?)

11. Microtek 600Z & Win '98

12. Microtek parallel scanners and Win 98

13. microtek e3 plus and win 98