2 defective scanners, need advice

Post by Derek Ea » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

Hi,

You may have seen a couple of my earlier posts. I have had some pretty
bad luck with scanners. I recently bought an HP 6200C and it was
defective as told to me by HP tech support. There were always faint
horizontal lines in each image. So I ordered another 6200C from the
same company and when I received it I had the same horizontal lines
across my images. This led me to believe that the problem wasn't in
the scanner. But after trying everything I could the lines wouldn't go
away. So today I borrowed a known to be working HP ScanJet 5P from my
stepfather, and lo and behold the first scan had no horizontal lines.
None of the subsequent scans did either. So I got two bad scanners
from HP. Since the 6200C is now suspect to me I'm looking for advice
on other scanners to get. I'm only interested in ones which suppor the
SCSI interface since it will be connected to a Linux machine.

Thanks, Derek

Remove nospam from my email address when replying to

Need consultants for Win32 C++ VB Java DCOM and Unix development?
Check us out at http://www.grandprixsw.com

2 defective scanners, need advice

Post by wes » Mon, 01 Nov 1999 03:00:00

I hate to hear that bad news because I have recently purchased the HP 6200C
and have been using it a lot for the past 3 months with perfect functioning
during this time. I have even tried the cheap transparency thing that comes
with it and couldn't believe the pictures I got from very old slides. I
would also be concerned but from my experience, the scanner works quite
well. Hope your problem isn't indicative of what I can expect in the future.

[...]

1. Need help w/possibly defective scanner

Somehow I keep messing up this post

Hi,

I've had tons of trouble scanning images with my scanner. HP Tech
support thought the scanner was defective and so I ordered a new one.
Now I have two scanners connected to two machines and both have
problems. The attatched images show the problems I'm talking about.
Faint horizontal lines across the image. The one titled oldscan is
from the first scanner I received, newscan and newscan 2 are from the
new one I got yesterday.

I've tried these scanners on two different machines with 3 different
operating systems, and multiple scsi cables. All of these images are
from my Linux box.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Derek

check them out at:
http://www.grandprixsw.com/FamilyPhotos/ScannerProblems.htm

Remove nospam from my email address when replying to

Need consultants for Win32 C++ VB Java DCOM and Unix development?
Check us out at http://www.grandprixsw.com

2. line noise and disconnections II

3. Need advice on choise of scanner

4. MouseOver() event

5. New to scanners, need advice !

6. log of matrix

7. Film Scanner advice needed

8. broadband and video not recieving

9. Help, Need Advice - Fix dead film scanner or buy new one.

10. Need Advice for PrimeFilm Slide Scanner

11. Packard Bell Scanner Annoyance - Advice Needed

12. Advice Needed On SCSI Cable for my old Primax Scanner!

13. Advice needed: Film scanner for black and white negatives