HP 5370 vs. Epson Perfection 1240 vs. something else

HP 5370 vs. Epson Perfection 1240 vs. something else

Post by ioii.. » Sat, 24 Feb 2001 09:12:08

Hi. I'm looking for a good consumer-grade scanner for scanning family
pictures. I've done some research on the web and got confusing
information about the HP 5370 and the Epson Perfection 1240.

For the 5370, one source described it as a solid scanner for $300;
another described its scan quality as only "fair". Yet another said the
quality of HP's consumer scanners doesn't quite match that of their
printers.

For the 1240, it seems to get very good reviews, although someone
experimented with it said its scan quality is comparable with that of
professional scanners at 600dpi, despite the claimed resolution.

Could someone shed some light on how these two scanners compare? If you
think there are other good choices, please feel free to share your
recommendations.

Many thanks.

HP 5370 vs. Epson Perfection 1240 vs. something else

Post by Papa » Sun, 25 Feb 2001 07:11:27

From personal experience and from reading quite a few complaints in the
scanner NGs, I have concluded that HP scanners - while performing well - are
NOT reliable and are likely to have a short lifespan. The only thing I can
say about Epson is that I have read some good reviews. I think your source
was correct in saying that the HP scanners do not match the quality of their
printers. My HP Deskjet 600C, for instance, has been very reliable, and has
been in use for about 4 fault-free years.

My former scanner, in use for 2 years, was a $300 HP 5100C. I now have a
Umax Astra 1600U. It is working great so far, and the price was $29 after
rebate.

Quote:> Hi. I'm looking for a good consumer-grade scanner for scanning family
> pictures. I've done some research on the web and got confusing
> information about the HP 5370 and the Epson Perfection 1240.

> For the 5370, one source described it as a solid scanner for $300;
> another described its scan quality as only "fair". Yet another said the
> quality of HP's consumer scanners doesn't quite match that of their
> printers.

> For the 1240, it seems to get very good reviews, although someone
> experimented with it said its scan quality is comparable with that of
> professional scanners at 600dpi, despite the claimed resolution.

> Could someone shed some light on how these two scanners compare? If you
> think there are other good choices, please feel free to share your
> recommendations.

> Many thanks.

HP 5370 vs. Epson Perfection 1240 vs. something else

Post by Tim S » Mon, 26 Feb 2001 05:05:15

I have owned an HP scanner and can tell you from personal experience that HP
scanners and software and support are pretty much useless. Epson is probably
the way to go although I have not tried one yet, but have heard some really
good things about the Epson line. The HP I currently own is mediocre at best
and when trying to get HP involved in support I was pretty much told that I
bought and now I own it. That is the kind of attitude us consumers do not
have to put up with. So now I never recommend HP scanners but still believe
they make a good printer. The best photo printers are made buy Epson though.

Quote:> Hi. I'm looking for a good consumer-grade scanner for scanning family
> pictures. I've done some research on the web and got confusing
> information about the HP 5370 and the Epson Perfection 1240.

> For the 5370, one source described it as a solid scanner for $300;
> another described its scan quality as only "fair". Yet another said the
> quality of HP's consumer scanners doesn't quite match that of their
> printers.

> For the 1240, it seems to get very good reviews, although someone
> experimented with it said its scan quality is comparable with that of
> professional scanners at 600dpi, despite the claimed resolution.

> Could someone shed some light on how these two scanners compare? If you
> think there are other good choices, please feel free to share your
> recommendations.

> Many thanks.

HP 5370 vs. Epson Perfection 1240 vs. something else

Post by --HORNET- » Mon, 26 Feb 2001 12:25:44

i have owned my epson 1240u for about 3months now...it is fast, image
quality is great. the only drawback i see is the scanner darkens the photo's
(no doubt the twain has something to do with this) and skintones are a
little on the warm side. if you use PSP7 or Photoshop 5.5, this can be
corrected b4 printing. i grabbed min from computers4sure.com all in all, i
like this unit and its resolutions. it is easily setup and really simple to
use. the biggest benefit is the speed. at it's highest res. i have scanned
an 8x10 in a few minutes....took longer to process the image than the actual
scan ( with 384mb of infineon pc133 and a p3 800mhz). i give it a good
rating, as stated in the other threads..the HP can be unreliable and only
fair image quality.  good luck

HP 5370 vs. Epson Perfection 1240 vs. something else

Post by Pickmaste » Fri, 02 Mar 2001 08:38:05

I also had a 5100C for a little over a year (just out of the warranty
period, and I used it very little) and it started this model's infamous
"grinding" problem which results in lousy scans. HP would do nothing for me,
and I bugged them quite a bit.

> From personal experience and from reading quite a few complaints in the
> scanner NGs, I have concluded that HP scanners - while performing well -
are
> NOT reliable and are likely to have a short lifespan. The only thing I can
> say about Epson is that I have read some good reviews. I think your source
> was correct in saying that the HP scanners do not match the quality of
their
> printers. My HP Deskjet 600C, for instance, has been very reliable, and
has
> been in use for about 4 fault-free years.

> My former scanner, in use for 2 years, was a $300 HP 5100C. I now have a
> Umax Astra 1600U. It is working great so far, and the price was $29 after
> rebate.

> > Hi. I'm looking for a good consumer-grade scanner for scanning family
> > pictures. I've done some research on the web and got confusing
> > information about the HP 5370 and the Epson Perfection 1240.

> > For the 5370, one source described it as a solid scanner for $300;
> > another described its scan quality as only "fair". Yet another said the
> > quality of HP's consumer scanners doesn't quite match that of their
> > printers.

> > For the 1240, it seems to get very good reviews, although someone
> > experimented with it said its scan quality is comparable with that of
> > professional scanners at 600dpi, despite the claimed resolution.

> > Could someone shed some light on how these two scanners compare? If you
> > think there are other good choices, please feel free to share your
> > recommendations.

> > Many thanks.

HP 5370 vs. Epson Perfection 1240 vs. something else

Post by James Bele » Fri, 02 Mar 2001 07:09:36

both scanners are 1200 dpi optical (real resolution). one advantage with the
Epson is icc profiles and the ability to set the scanner to use the profiles
of an Epson printer. This gives you the nice option of choosing sRGB color
management in PhotoShop or Corel Draw and have a "what you see is what you
scanned and what you will print" monitor display.

another alternative is the perfection 1640 (for another $100) which at 1600
dpi optical resolution (42 bits color depth) gives you the best resolution
of any available consumer scanner (flatbed).

--Jim Belec

> I also had a 5100C for a little over a year (just out of the warranty
> period, and I used it very little) and it started this model's infamous
> "grinding" problem which results in lousy scans. HP would do nothing for
me,
> and I bugged them quite a bit.

> > From personal experience and from reading quite a few complaints in the
> > scanner NGs, I have concluded that HP scanners - while performing well -
> are
> > NOT reliable and are likely to have a short lifespan. The only thing I
can
> > say about Epson is that I have read some good reviews. I think your
source
> > was correct in saying that the HP scanners do not match the quality of
> their
> > printers. My HP Deskjet 600C, for instance, has been very reliable, and
> has
> > been in use for about 4 fault-free years.

> > My former scanner, in use for 2 years, was a $300 HP 5100C. I now have a
> > Umax Astra 1600U. It is working great so far, and the price was $29
after
> > rebate.

> > > Hi. I'm looking for a good consumer-grade scanner for scanning family
> > > pictures. I've done some research on the web and got confusing
> > > information about the HP 5370 and the Epson Perfection 1240.

> > > For the 5370, one source described it as a solid scanner for $300;
> > > another described its scan quality as only "fair". Yet another said
the
> > > quality of HP's consumer scanners doesn't quite match that of their
> > > printers.

> > > For the 1240, it seems to get very good reviews, although someone
> > > experimented with it said its scan quality is comparable with that of
> > > professional scanners at 600dpi, despite the claimed resolution.

> > > Could someone shed some light on how these two scanners compare? If
you
> > > think there are other good choices, please feel free to share your
> > > recommendations.

> > > Many thanks.

1. HP-6350 vs Epson GT-7000 vs Epson Perfection 1200??

Please help - I'm trying to decide between these three scanners.

I am keen to get something which is very easy to use for copying, faxing,
embedding ('drag and drop') scanned images in Microsoft Office apps and
emails.  Also would like ADF for occasional scanning/faxing/copying of
multi-page docs.

I am more concerned about ease of use than saving the last 50 pounds.

Any comments on the above scanners would be much appreciated!

Thanks

Mike

2. NSI 486 Install Problems

3. Epson Perfection 2400 vs Epson Perfection 2450- opinions?

4. New RRDTool Frontend

5. Agfa Snapscan e50 vs. HP Scanjet 5370 for slide scanning

6. Wanted - Wizard 8000 series Organizer

7. HP 5370 vs 5300

8. FA: DECstation 5000/100 Hardware Guide

9. Help plz for scanner Epson Perfection 1240 U

10. XP and Epson Perfection 1240 U

11. Epson Perfection 1240 - Smart Panel Soft

12. anyone with a Epson Perfection 1240 or 1640 ?

13. Epson Perfection 1240 or 1250, which to go for?