de....lay

de....lay

Post by eva2912u » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 01:23:38



got a strange thing happening.  Using CW9 pro audio and the computer sounds
the notes of any midifile about 2 beats behind the written note.  ie,  when
in staff view (it's easier to see the problem when you are actually looking
at the notes) the progess 'marker' crosses the note played about 2 notes
(depends on tempo and bps resolution)after you've heard it.
Anyone got any idea where the delay is likely to be coming from?   I suspect
it's a computer - rather than CW9 - problem.
Regards
PJ
 
 
 

de....lay

Post by Nick Whi » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 01:22:08


On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:23:38 -0000, "eva2912uk"

......and in reply I say!:

Need more description of your setup. But if you are suing a Softsynth
to play the MIDI then that is your problem. AFAIK, there is no
solution under CW9 except hardware synths. SONAR supports WDM drivers
for many soundcards to _reduce_ latency, but many people are still
having troubles.

Quote:>got a strange thing happening.  Using CW9 pro audio and the computer sounds
>the notes of any midifile about 2 beats behind the written note.  ie,  when
>in staff view (it's easier to see the problem when you are actually looking
>at the notes) the progess 'marker' crosses the note played about 2 notes
>(depends on tempo and bps resolution)after you've heard it.
>Anyone got any idea where the delay is likely to be coming from?   I suspect
>it's a computer - rather than CW9 - problem.
>Regards
>PJ

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

(please remove ns from my header email address to reply)
....damn spam

    !!
   <")
   _/ )
   (   )
  _//- \__/

Sometimes I want the part of my brain that thinks to go away.

 
 
 

de....lay

Post by eva2912u » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 18:00:52


Thanks Nick..
Yes. I'm using Roland Virtual Sound Canvas......however, I get the same
problem if I use the 'crappy' onboard soundchip and I get exactly the same
problem if I use the VSC or the onboard soundchip when I use Sibelius
(scorewriting software).
Do you know if  it's probably or not a computer problem (rather than
software - accepting the limitations of the softsynth)?
My (colleagues) setup is very simple.   P11, 333mhtz, 64M ram, 6gig H/D, no
sound card attached, computer attached speakers, - pretty basic, I know but
she's not 'pro' !!             Hmm., just had a thought,  could Norton Anti
Virus Suite - which is running in the background all the time - have
anything at all to do with it?
Thanks again Nick, I know you reply to many people around this midi
newsgroup, always good, sensible and experienced advice - it's much
appreciated..
Regards
Laura Mccarthy

--
to reply....take out noads


> On Tue, 19 Mar 2002 16:23:38 -0000, "eva2912uk"

> ......and in reply I say!:

> Need more description of your setup. But if you are suing a Softsynth
> to play the MIDI then that is your problem. AFAIK, there is no
> solution under CW9 except hardware synths. SONAR supports WDM drivers
> for many soundcards to _reduce_ latency, but many people are still
> having troubles.

> >got a strange thing happening.  Using CW9 pro audio and the computer
sounds
> >the notes of any midifile about 2 beats behind the written note.  ie,
when
> >in staff view (it's easier to see the problem when you are actually
looking
> >at the notes) the progess 'marker' crosses the note played about 2 notes
> >(depends on tempo and bps resolution)after you've heard it.
> >Anyone got any idea where the delay is likely to be coming from?   I
suspect
> >it's a computer - rather than CW9 - problem.
> >Regards
> >PJ

> Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

> (please remove ns from my header email address to reply)
> ....damn spam

>     !!
>    <")
>    _/ )
>    (   )
>   _//- \__/

> Sometimes I want the part of my brain that thinks to go away.

 
 
 

de....lay

Post by Jeffery S. Jone » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 01:39:06


On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:00:52 -0000, "eva2912uk"


>Thanks Nick..
>Yes. I'm using Roland Virtual Sound Canvas......however, I get the same
>problem if I use the 'crappy' onboard soundchip and I get exactly the same
>problem if I use the VSC or the onboard soundchip when I use Sibelius
>(scorewriting software).
>Do you know if  it's probably or not a computer problem (rather than
>software - accepting the limitations of the softsynth)?

  It is possible that your onboard soundchip uses a software synth for
MIDI.  A lot of cheap sound cards do that, saving the cost of
including MIDI hardware.

Quote:>My (colleagues) setup is very simple.   P11, 333mhtz, 64M ram, 6gig H/D, no
>sound card attached, computer attached speakers, - pretty basic, I know but
>she's not 'pro' !!             Hmm., just had a thought,  could Norton Anti
>Virus Suite - which is running in the background all the time - have
>anything at all to do with it?

  Antivirus programs can interrupt audio recording and playback,
causing dropouts and stuttering.  They shouldn't create a constant
delay.

Quote:>Thanks again Nick, I know you reply to many people around this midi
>newsgroup, always good, sensible and experienced advice - it's much
>appreciated..
>Regards
>Laura Mccarthy

--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________|  *Starfire*   |____________________-*
** Muskego WI Access Channel 14/25 <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/>
*Task Force Games*            <http://www.task-force-games.com>
*Starfire Design Studio* <http://www.starfiredesign.com/>
*Graphic Reflections and Websites* <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/>
 
 
 

de....lay

Post by Nick Whi » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 23:18:15


On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:00:52 -0000, "eva2912uk"

......and in reply I say!: ''

hmmmm.. It may be that the onboard card uses a softsynth anyway. Or
you are directing the output to MIDI Mapper, which keeps sending stuff
to the softsynth as mapped.

Background stuff wil not cause this sort of thing, but more likely
stutter etc.

A "couple of beats" can be a variable time. What actual time are we
talking here? 1/4 seond? 1 second? Roughly. Does it stay the same all
the time, or is it definitely tied to the _musical_ part of things
rather than PC timing.

Again, more details.

- You have VSC, and an "onboard" card.
- What MIDI Out Devices can you see listed in CW?
- What steps do you take to point to the Devices you want to use?
        - in the MIDI Devices section
        - In the Track Pain

Sorry if these are basic questions, but it's no good deconstructing
your PC for the sake of a basic error <G>

Quote:>Thanks Nick..
>Yes. I'm using Roland Virtual Sound Canvas......however, I get the same
>problem if I use the 'crappy' onboard soundchip and I get exactly the same
>problem if I use the VSC or the onboard soundchip when I use Sibelius
>(scorewriting software).
>Do you know if  it's probably or not a computer problem (rather than
>software - accepting the limitations of the softsynth)?
>My (colleagues) setup is very simple.   P11, 333mhtz, 64M ram, 6gig H/D, no
>sound card attached, computer attached speakers, - pretty basic, I know but
>she's not 'pro' !!             Hmm., just had a thought,  could Norton Anti
>Virus Suite - which is running in the background all the time - have
>anything at all to do with it?
>Thanks again Nick, I know you reply to many people around this midi
>newsgroup, always good, sensible and experienced advice - it's much
>appreciated..
>Regards
>Laura Mccarthy

>--
>to reply....take out noads

ohh! sounds painful! <G>

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

(please remove ns from my header email address to reply)
....damn spam

    !!
   <")
   _/ )
   (   )
  _//- \__/

Sometimes I want the part of my brain that thinks to go away.

 
 
 

de....lay

Post by eva2912u » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 23:41:51


Thanks again Nick,
I am guessing that the onboard sounds are soft synth - certainly the quality
of sounds is reminiscent of early computer/arcade games.
Because of the awful sound of the 'onboard sound card' I installed the
Virtual Sound Canvas which has something like decent sound reproduction (not
as good as my expander which is a Sound Canvas pro 88 but...) and therefore
route my output through this device. In Cakewalk, I've several options - mpu
401, yamaha synth, yamaha fm synthesis, and VSC.   I have the VSC selected.
Of course, it might be that the final destinantion of all sound output is
through the 'onboard' card since I would imagine that the line out from the
computer  ( which is then amplified etc.) is serviced by the onboard
card/synth/chip?
I imagine that if I disabled the sound chip in the BIOS setup, I wouldn't
get any sound at all out of the computer - unless I installed an actual
sound card in it's place.  Would that be a correct assumption?
The delay seems to be pretty constant - I'd guess somewhere between 3/4
second and a second for say a 120bps midifile.  The problem is that if  I
really speed it up, everythings moving so fast it gets difficult to see/hear
whether the delay of  3/4 second remains or if in fact it is delayinging
constantly but by a set number of beats all the time.   In reality it may be
both.
I have a VSC and an 'onboard' sound 'device' (chip, module,software,  i'm
not sure which)
Midi out devices in CW as above.
In CW, I simply select the single output of VSC from midi devices.
This sets any track to that output.  Double clicking on 'patch' also brings
up the instrument selection dialogue window where output for the track (as
opposed to setting the global output) can be set.   Interestingly, if the
VSC isn't selected as output, you do not get the Bank Select option of
Roland main banks and therefore, Roland instrument names.  You are only able
to pick instrument numbers.
Sorry it's a bit long winded...
regards
LM
to reply....take out noads
----- Original Message -----

Newsgroups: comp.music.midi
Sent: Thursday, March 21, 2002 2:18 PM
Subject: Re: de....lay

> On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:00:52 -0000, "eva2912uk"

> ......and in reply I say!: ''

> hmmmm.. It may be that the onboard card uses a softsynth anyway. Or
> you are directing the output to MIDI Mapper, which keeps sending stuff
> to the softsynth as mapped.

> Background stuff wil not cause this sort of thing, but more likely
> stutter etc.

> A "couple of beats" can be a variable time. What actual time are we
> talking here? 1/4 seond? 1 second? Roughly. Does it stay the same all
> the time, or is it definitely tied to the _musical_ part of things
> rather than PC timing.

> Again, more details.

> - You have VSC, and an "onboard" card.
> - What MIDI Out Devices can you see listed in CW?
> - What steps do you take to point to the Devices you want to use?
> - in the MIDI Devices section
> - In the Track Pain

> Sorry if these are basic questions, but it's no good deconstructing
> your PC for the sake of a basic error <G>

.

 
 
 

de....lay

Post by eva2912u » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 00:01:40


Is the suggestion/opinion therefore that software synths cause this sort of
delay?
That being so, the only remedy would be to by a reasonable sound card?
I suppose I was trying to establish whether or not there were other -
possibly computer related - problems that could be addressed....
Thanks for the comments and advice..
Regards
LM

--
to reply....take out noads



> On Wed, 20 Mar 2002 09:00:52 -0000, "eva2912uk"

>   It is possible that your onboard soundchip uses a software synth for
> MIDI.  A lot of cheap sound cards do that, saving the cost of
> including MIDI hardware.
> >My (colleagues) setup is very simple.   P11, 333mhtz, 64M ram, 6gig H/D,
no
> >sound card attached, computer attached speakers, - pretty basic, I know
but
> >she's not 'pro' !!             Hmm., just had a thought,  could Norton
Anti
> >Virus Suite - which is running in the background all the time - have
> >anything at all to do with it?
>   Antivirus programs can interrupt audio recording and playback,
> causing dropouts and stuttering.  They shouldn't create a constant
> delay.
> *-__Jeffery Jones__________|  *Starfire*   |____________________-*
> ** Muskego WI Access Channel 14/25 <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/>
> *Task Force Games*            <http://www.task-force-games.com>
> *Starfire Design Studio* <http://www.starfiredesign.com/>
> *Graphic Reflections and Websites* <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/>

 
 
 

de....lay

Post by Nick Whi » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 12:01:52


On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:41:51 -0000, "eva2912uk"

......and in reply I say!:

Quote:>Thanks again Nick,
>I am guessing that the onboard sounds are soft synth - certainly the quality
>of sounds is reminiscent of early computer/arcade games.
>Because of the awful sound of the 'onboard sound card' I installed the
>Virtual Sound Canvas which has something like decent sound reproduction (not
>as good as my expander which is a Sound Canvas pro 88 but...)

Sorry if you _did_ mention this, but do you get this delay using the
external synth?

Quote:>and therefore
>route my output through this device. In Cakewalk, I've several options - mpu
>401, yamaha synth, yamaha fm synthesis, and VSC.   I have the VSC selected.

Sorry. Bit lost

You have as Port 1 the VSC. Then you say that you get all tracks as
VSC (it defaults to Port 1). That's fine BUT....

How are you making the sound go to the onboard synth (FM or
otherwise)? You have to select more than one device in MIDI Devices
Out, then set each Track to the Device that you want.

BTW if you are getting "synthy" sounds try Yamaha Synth rather than
Yam FM Synth. IT should be a wavetable.

Quote:>Of course, it might be that the final destinantion of all sound output is
>through the 'onboard' card since I would imagine that the line out from the
>computer  ( which is then amplified etc.) is serviced by the onboard
>card/synth/chip?

Yes. And there IS one _possibility_ there. If your card is set to
monitor outputmand you have some sort of delay applied, but with "wet"
only and no "dry" signal, then this delay may occur for all onboard
sounds....you will have to wrestel with the system to sort that out.

Quote:>I imagine that if I disabled the sound chip in the BIOS setup, I wouldn't
>get any sound at all out of the computer - unless I installed an actual
>sound card in it's place.  Would that be a correct assumption?

YUP

Quote:>The delay seems to be pretty constant - I'd guess somewhere between 3/4
>second and a second for say a 120bps midifile.  The problem is that if  I
>really speed it up, everythings moving so fast it gets difficult to see/hear
>whether the delay of  3/4 second remains or if in fact it is delayinging
>constantly but by a set number of beats all the time.   In reality it may be
>both.

As far as testing the delay vs speed, try _slowing_ the BPM<, rather
than speeding, Tka eit right to say 10 BPM. What happens?

Quote:>I have a VSC and an 'onboard' sound 'device' (chip, module,software,  i'm
>not sure which)
>Midi out devices in CW as above.
>In CW, I simply select the single output of VSC from midi devices.
>This sets any track to that output.  Double clicking on 'patch' also brings
>up the instrument selection dialogue window where output for the track (as
>opposed to setting the global output) can be set.   Interestingly, if the
>VSC isn't selected as output, you do not get the Bank Select option of
>Roland main banks and therefore, Roland instrument names.  You are only able
>to pick instrument numbers.

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

(please remove ns from my header email address to reply)
....damn spam

    !!
   <")
   _/ )
   (   )
  _//- \__/

Sometimes I want the part of my brain that thinks to go away.

 
 
 

de....lay

Post by eva2912u » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 18:44:25


Thanks again nick,  I've replied under the necessary paragraphs to each
point you've made. Hope this isn't so confusing as my last post.....

Quote:> >Thanks again Nick,
> >I am guessing that the onboard sounds are soft synth - certainly the
quality
> >of sounds is reminiscent of early computer/arcade games.
> >Because of the awful sound of the 'onboard sound card' I installed the
> >Virtual Sound Canvas which has something like decent sound reproduction
(not
> >as good as my expander which is a Sound Canvas pro 88 but...)

> Sorry if you _did_ mention this, but do you get this delay using the
> external synth?

Im afraid that I havn't  connected the expander... this is the computer of a
friend and I don't have access to the expander here.
I can't say whether or not the delay happens with 'outboard' equipment,
sorry.

Quote:> >and therefore
> >route my output through this device. In Cakewalk, I've several options -
mpu
> >401, yamaha synth, yamaha fm synthesis, and VSC.   I have the VSC
selected.

> Sorry. Bit lost

In CW, through the midi devices option, the dialogue box that opens allows
you to set Input and Output devices.  For example, if you install the
Virtual Piano, it appears as an input option together with the sound 'card'
option.  For output, there are 4 options - midi mapper, fm synthesis, yamaha
synthesis, and the Virtual Sound Canvas.  I get the same problem whichever
output  I choose.

Quote:> You have as Port 1 the VSC. Then you say that you get all tracks as
> VSC (it defaults to Port 1). That's fine BUT....

> How are you making the sound go to the onboard synth (FM or
> otherwise)? You have to select more than one device in MIDI Devices
> Out, then set each Track to the Device that you want.

Actually it doesn't work that way.  It follows that the VSC outputs 'sounds'
because it 'generates' Roland type sound fonts which you can hear when an
output is taken from the computer.  Because the VSC is software, you cannot
connect any output for sound to it! It therefore must be that the output
from the VSC is routed to the 'sound chip' which then gets outputted from
the computer.  Hence the signal path from the midi file must be (in this
case) Midifile/cakewalk/VSC/sound chip/computer speakers?   To hear this
sound from cakewalk, the virtual sound canvas - set from the midi devices
globally in cakewalk - is the only output device that needs to be selected.
Each track of the midifile is then 'defaulted' to this global output - which
of course you could change for each individual track if you wanted.

Quote:> BTW if you are getting "synthy" sounds try Yamaha Synth rather than
> Yam FM Synth. IT should be a wavetable.
> >Of course, it might be that the final destinantion of all sound output is
> >through the 'onboard' card since I would imagine that the line out from
the
> >computer  ( which is then amplified etc.) is serviced by the onboard
> >card/synth/chip?
> Yes. And there IS one _possibility_ there. If your card is set to
> monitor outputmand you have some sort of delay applied, but with "wet"
> only and no "dry" signal, then this delay may occur for all onboard
> sounds....you will have to wrestel with the system to sort that out.

ok.  i'll look at that.

Quote:> >I imagine that if I disabled the sound chip in the BIOS setup, I wouldn't
> >get any sound at all out of the computer - unless I installed an actual
> >sound card in it's place.  Would that be a correct assumption?

> YUP

Ok. Thanks. that's how I imagined it to be.

Quote:> >The delay seems to be pretty constant - I'd guess somewhere between 3/4
> >second and a second for say a 120bps midifile.  The problem is that if  I
> >really speed it up, everythings moving so fast it gets difficult to
see/hear
> >whether the delay of  3/4 second remains or if in fact it is delayinging
> >constantly but by a set number of beats all the time.   In reality it may
be
> >both.
> As far as testing the delay vs speed, try _slowing_ the BPM<, rather
> than speeding, Tka eit right to say 10 BPM. What happens?

> >I have a VSC and an 'onboard' sound 'device' (chip, module,software,  i'm
> >not sure which)
> >Midi out devices in CW as above.
> >In CW, I simply select the single output of VSC from midi devices.
> >This sets any track to that output.  Double clicking on 'patch' also
brings
> >up the instrument selection dialogue window where output for the track
(as
> >opposed to setting the global output) can be set.   Interestingly, if the
> >VSC isn't selected as output, you do not get the Bank Select option of
> >Roland main banks and therefore, Roland instrument names.  You are only
able
> >to pick instrument numbers.

> Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

> (please remove ns from my header email address to reply)
> ....damn spam

>     !!
>    <")
>    _/ )
>    (   )
>   _//- \__/

> Sometimes I want the part of my brain that thinks to go away.

 
 
 

de....lay

Post by Jeffery S. Jone » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 01:11:08


On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 09:44:25 -0000, "eva2912uk"


>Thanks again nick,  I've replied under the necessary paragraphs to each
>point you've made. Hope this isn't so confusing as my last post.....

>> >Thanks again Nick,
>> >I am guessing that the onboard sounds are soft synth - certainly the
>quality
>> >of sounds is reminiscent of early computer/arcade games.
>> >Because of the awful sound of the 'onboard sound card' I installed the
>> >Virtual Sound Canvas which has something like decent sound reproduction
>(not
>> >as good as my expander which is a Sound Canvas pro 88 but...)

>> Sorry if you _did_ mention this, but do you get this delay using the
>> external synth?

>Im afraid that I havn't  connected the expander... this is the computer of a
>friend and I don't have access to the expander here.
>I can't say whether or not the delay happens with 'outboard' equipment,
>sorry.

 That would help to determine if it is something else in your system
other than the inherent delay when using a software synth.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:>> >and therefore
>> >route my output through this device. In Cakewalk, I've several options -
>mpu
>> >401, yamaha synth, yamaha fm synthesis, and VSC.   I have the VSC
>selected.

>> Sorry. Bit lost

>In CW, through the midi devices option, the dialogue box that opens allows
>you to set Input and Output devices.  For example, if you install the
>Virtual Piano, it appears as an input option together with the sound 'card'
>option.  For output, there are 4 options - midi mapper, fm synthesis, yamaha
>synthesis, and the Virtual Sound Canvas.  I get the same problem whichever
>output  I choose.

>> You have as Port 1 the VSC. Then you say that you get all tracks as
>> VSC (it defaults to Port 1). That's fine BUT....

>> How are you making the sound go to the onboard synth (FM or
>> otherwise)? You have to select more than one device in MIDI Devices
>> Out, then set each Track to the Device that you want.

>Actually it doesn't work that way.  It follows that the VSC outputs 'sounds'
>because it 'generates' Roland type sound fonts which you can hear when an
>output is taken from the computer.  Because the VSC is software, you cannot
>connect any output for sound to it! It therefore must be that the output
>from the VSC is routed to the 'sound chip' which then gets outputted from
>the computer.  Hence the signal path from the midi file must be (in this
>case) Midifile/cakewalk/VSC/sound chip/computer speakers?   To hear this
>sound from cakewalk, the virtual sound canvas - set from the midi devices
>globally in cakewalk - is the only output device that needs to be selected.
>Each track of the midifile is then 'defaulted' to this global output - which
>of course you could change for each individual track if you wanted.

  Right, that is how it works.  VSC can be configured to have a lower
latency (delay time between MIDI note and sound) at a cost in higher
CPU usage, but it will never be as fast as a hardware synth.

  You should be able to assign the different channels to different
ports in Cakewalk, and use that to compare the delays on each device.

Quote:>> BTW if you are getting "synthy" sounds try Yamaha Synth rather than
>> Yam FM Synth. IT should be a wavetable.

  There are a bunch of them.  A lot of inexpensive soundcards use a
Yamaha software synth, and some of them also have a software FM synth
as well.  The latency on different soft synths should differ some.

  But I think that the default delay on both Roland and Yamaha
software synths is around half a second.

  Yamaha's software synths are usually listed as SY followed by some
numbers for the version.  Yamaha's hardware assisted software synth
(the YMF724 and YMF744 chipset cards) list it as DS-XG.  The latency
on DS-XG is under 50ms, though, which shouldn't sound like much of a
delay compared to the VSC's default time.

  You could try out the FM synth.  If it is hardware, it should sound
pretty close to instantly, and the difference in time compared with
the softsynth would be obvious.  At least then you'd know for sure it
was a software synth issue.

- Show quoted text -

Quote:>> >Of course, it might be that the final destinantion of all sound output is
>> >through the 'onboard' card since I would imagine that the line out from
>the
>> >computer  ( which is then amplified etc.) is serviced by the onboard
>> >card/synth/chip?

>> Yes. And there IS one _possibility_ there. If your card is set to
>> monitor outputmand you have some sort of delay applied, but with "wet"
>> only and no "dry" signal, then this delay may occur for all onboard
>> sounds....you will have to wrestel with the system to sort that out.

>ok.  i'll look at that.
>> >The delay seems to be pretty constant - I'd guess somewhere between 3/4
>> >second and a second for say a 120bps midifile.  The problem is that if  I
>> >really speed it up, everythings moving so fast it gets difficult to
>see/hear
>> >whether the delay of  3/4 second remains or if in fact it is delayinging
>> >constantly but by a set number of beats all the time.   In reality it may
>be
>> >both.

>> As far as testing the delay vs speed, try _slowing_ the BPM<, rather
>> than speeding, Tka eit right to say 10 BPM. What happens?

>> >I have a VSC and an 'onboard' sound 'device' (chip, module,software,  i'm
>> >not sure which)
>> >Midi out devices in CW as above.
>> >In CW, I simply select the single output of VSC from midi devices.
>> >This sets any track to that output.  Double clicking on 'patch' also
>brings
>> >up the instrument selection dialogue window where output for the track
>(as
>> >opposed to setting the global output) can be set.   Interestingly, if the
>> >VSC isn't selected as output, you do not get the Bank Select option of
>> >Roland main banks and therefore, Roland instrument names.  You are only
>able
>> >to pick instrument numbers.

  In Cakewalk?  The instrument definitions are assigned by the user to
each port.  Port #1 gets selected first (and at some point you
probably assigned it as a Roland synth).  The others can be set up as
you want later.  You don't have to match the instrument definition
(which assigns names) to the instrument used, but it can be very
confusing if they are mismatched.

  In VSC, in its control panel, there are a lot of parameters for
performance.  Check out that, look at "response."  The delay time for
the softsynth itself will be shown there.

  If your sound card is very old tech, no DirectX drivers or very slow
response under DirectX, then any software synth is going to be very
slow to respond.  I'd recommend using a hardware synth for any live
work anyway, unless your system is very fast and has a low latency
soundcard.

  You can compensate for software synth delays in a mix by adjusting
the playback time slightly.  Offset the track by 500ms (or whatever
the softsynth needs) to put it into time with the rest.  Or record the
softsynth tracks as audio, then adjust the timing to line up right.

--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________|  *Starfire*   |____________________-*
** Muskego WI Access Channel 14/25 <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/>
*Task Force Games*            <http://www.task-force-games.com>
*Starfire Design Studio* <http://www.starfiredesign.com/>
*Graphic Reflections and Websites* <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/>

 
 
 

de....lay

Post by Nick Whi » Tue, 26 Mar 2002 02:54:36


On Sat, 23 Mar 2002 09:44:25 -0000, "eva2912uk"

......and in reply I say!:

umm...No need to explain. I have been using Cakewalk since Version
3.<G>

My misunderstanding was of your MO, not the programme. You did not
indicate that you had tried all Output devices with the same result.

OK. Does the length of the delay follow the speed of the sequencer or
is it constant?

10 BPM, not 250 BPM.

Quote:>Thanks again nick,  I've replied under the necessary paragraphs to each
>point you've made. Hope this isn't so confusing as my last post.....

>Im afraid that I havn't  connected the expander... this is the computer of a
>friend and I don't have access to the expander here.
>I can't say whether or not the delay happens with 'outboard' equipment,
>sorry.

>> >and therefore
>> >route my output through this device. In Cakewalk, I've several options -
>mpu
>> >401, yamaha synth, yamaha fm synthesis, and VSC.   I have the VSC
>selected.

>> Sorry. Bit lost

>In CW, through the midi devices option, the dialogue box that opens allows
>you to set Input and Output devices.  For example, if you install the
>> You have as Port 1 the VSC. Then you say that you get all tracks as
>> VSC (it defaults to Port 1). That's fine BUT....

>> How are you making the sound go to the onboard synth (FM or
>> otherwise)? You have to select more than one device in MIDI Devices
>> Out, then set each Track to the Device that you want.

>Actually it doesn't work that way.  It follows that the VSC outputs 'sounds'

No I meant get MIDi to ake sound come _from_ other devices than the
VSC. My wording fault.

Quote:

>> BTW if you are getting "synthy" sounds try Yamaha Synth rather than
>> Yam FM Synth. IT should be a wavetable.

???????????

Quote:

>> As far as testing the delay vs speed, try _slowing_ the BPM<, rather
>> than speeding, Tka eit right to say 10 BPM. What happens?

Nick White --- HEAD:Hertz Music

(please remove ns from my header email address to reply)
....damn spam

    !!
   <")
   _/ )
   (   )
  _//- \__/

Sometimes I want the part of my brain that thinks to go away.