need a little help deciding

Post by David Rose » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

ok right now i am using a pentium 3 computer on win98 wiht a
soundblaster live value and a yamaha sw60xg and using cakewalk pro audio
9. heres my question. i'm not really "THAT" advanced when it comes to
midi, i dont really work with a lot of effects, only some, my main thing
is sounds/patches/instruments whatever you want to call them, i like to
have a large amount to work with. my sw60xg has like what 600 or
something, plus my soundblaster live allows me to use soundfonts. but i
want more! so heres my question. is the sw1000xg the way to go or is
there something out there that would be better for me? any help that can
be provided would be much appreciated.

dave

ps. please email me a copy of your answer because i dont always get a
chance to check the newsgroups

need a little help deciding

Post by Jeffery S. Jone » Tue, 14 Mar 2000 04:00:00

On Mon, 13 Mar 2000 06:14:37 GMT, David Rosen

>ok right now i am using a pentium 3 computer on win98 wiht a
>soundblaster live value and a yamaha sw60xg and using cakewalk pro audio
>9. heres my question. i'm not really "THAT" advanced when it comes to
>midi, i dont really work with a lot of effects, only some, my main thing
>is sounds/patches/instruments whatever you want to call them, i like to
>have a large amount to work with. my sw60xg has like what 600 or
>something, plus my soundblaster live allows me to use soundfonts. but i
>want more! so heres my question. is the sw1000xg the way to go or is
>there something out there that would be better for me? any help that can
>be provided would be much appreciated.

  Sounds and patches, the SB Live can do quite well.  You'll need a
fair amount of disk space to store all you can find.  It is worth
pursuing this, and seeing what you can find, and if it serves your
needs, then you'll know, without spending more money.

  The SW1000XG has more than double the SW60XG, and like the SW60XG,
can manipulate the sounds in many ways with effects.  Its sound set is
fixed, but can be supplemented with an addon synth, either the Yamaha
PLG types (which attach directly to the SW1000XG, and may be used
automatically by selecting the correct bank or MIDI device), or a
separate synth like the SB Live.  XG has two big strengths -- it has
lots of parameters and effects, which give you a tremendous amount of
control over the sound.  And the XG synths are fairly compatible in
sound, so you can distribute files on the net and expect that people
will hear them fairly close to what you hear.  The higher end models
do have more sounds and effects, but the basic sets remain the same.
Yamaha's instrument sound sets are also very good.  You can spend a
lot of time hunting up sound fonts, and still not find a set as good
as the basic SW1000XG GM set.  Yamaha's own sample library and
technical staff are very good, and that is the basis of their sample
sets.  The synth engine is also very good at producing nice musical
results from the sample sets.  A synth does more than just play back a
sample -- it also changes its pitch, filtering, envelopes, and does
smooth morphing of one sample into another (in order to simulate the
different tones that instruments can produce at different
intensities).  Yamaha's synth engine is excellent, and the ability to
use XG parameters to change the sounds adds even more to the
expression you can produce in your music.

  There is a very good shareware program called XGEdit.  You can check
out Yamaha's web sites for more info.  You can try it out with your
SW60XG, and you may be surprised at what you can do with the
instrument sounds and acoustic environment by playing with effects and
XG parameters.  It is very easy to use.  The shareware version doesn't
allow saving, but that doesn't stop you from using it to play music
with it.

  The SW1000XG and SW60XG both let you feed a live instrument input or
mike into the card, and apply effects to them in real time.  If you do
any audio recording at all, this comes in very handy.  You can play or
sing and interact with the effects, even control the effects as you
play.  I don't know if you've tried out this feature of the SW60XG,
but it is a lot of fun just for singing (karaoke style stuff works
great), and even better if you have some talent!

Quote:>ps. please email me a copy of your answer because i dont always get a
>chance to check the newsgroups

  OK.
--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________|  *Starfire*   |____________________-*
** Muskego WI Access Channel 7 <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/mach7/>

1. need a little help with cooledit....

hey all,

i'm doing some synth work on rebirth with cooledit, and i'm trying to track
guitar in with it.  i have the first three tracks of synths and drums, then i
have a fourth track for guitar.  the problem is, i can't figure out how to
record the guitar in (i'm recording real-time through the input on my computer)
to the fourth track.  if i press the red button in multi-track view, then press
record on the controls, i can record in, but all my other tracks get put into
the waveform also.  how can i record the guitar and still play the other
tracks, but only for monitoring and timing?  so in other words, i want to play
the other tracks while i record ONLY THE GUITAR into the fourth track

any help?!?!?!

thanks
andy

2. WTB: Apple IIC / III peripherals

3. Little example of programming with Midi and Java: a Little Organ

4. S3 Video

5. Keyboard based midi... a little help?

6. Info on country specific E1 / ISDN ?

7. A little help if you could..

8. File Syncronizing Questions

9. Help: Little old Casio query

10. Need a good Quasimidi/Technox Manual..any help needed.

11. Big WAVes to little WAVes?

12. Is 24 polyphony too little on the K2000 for orchestra arrangements?

13. Great piano midi files with one little problem...