Yamaha Waveforce soundcard - quality of midi sounds?

Yamaha Waveforce soundcard - quality of midi sounds?

Post by JIm Edso » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have not had a listen to this card yet. Can anyone let me know what
they think of the midi
sound quality? I have also been thinking about getting the Creative Labs
Ensonique PCI
soundcard but I don't like some of the midi sounds eg the piano and
strings.

Regards
Jim

Yamaha Waveforce soundcard - quality of midi sounds?

Post by Thorn Rob » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I just got the A-Trend clone version of the card - for $40 I think the XG
sounds are a bargain, not very different from the sounds on my Yamaha SW60XG
card which has 4Mb ROM instead of 2. However, the 192XG does effects in
software rather than hardware, which require quite a bit of CPU (some people
have measured 25% of a reasonably fast Pentium) and in addition, the Reverb
effect adds a noticeable hiss on the tailend of notes. The clone card has
the advantage of a digital output if you can use it, however the standard
speaker level output (though not the line level output for some reason) is
quiet. I had bad results with the S/PDIF, though that may be a problem with
the receiver I was using.

My main interest in the card is the addition of the physical modeling VL
sounds, but so far I haven't got that working (need a faster CPU).

--

CARL Corporation
3801 E. Florida Ave.,Suite 300,Denver CO 80210  (303) 758-3030 x125

>I have not had a listen to this card yet. Can anyone let me know what
>they think of the midi
>sound quality? I have also been thinking about getting the Creative Labs
>Ensonique PCI
>soundcard but I don't like some of the midi sounds eg the piano and
>strings.

>Regards
>Jim

Yamaha Waveforce soundcard - quality of midi sounds?

Post by PCC BsMI » Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:00:00

The waveforce XG sound quality is one of the best in a sound card for midi
sounds. However, if you also want to do digital audio you should check into the
newer SW1000 as it can have the Yamaha DSP fatory sound card breakout boxes
attached.

For strictly midi I would say that the 192XG is the best for the buck . It
sells for less than $135Cdn.

If you are using win98 with it make sure you go to www.waveforce.com to see
about the lates driver info. There has been a known problem but it is fixed
with a download driver.

Good Luck!
Don Gerrity
Music Canada
BASICMIDI's Computers & Music Support Site

www.ontariobiz.on.ca/musiccanada>

1. Yamaha PSR240 & Yamaha Waveforce XG192 Soundcard

I wonder if somone might be able to help me get my Yam PSR240 and Yam
Waveforce XG soundcard working together in perfect harmony (until I start to
play on it that is!)

Purchased a cable to connect my Joystick/Midi Port on the soundcard to the
Midi In/Out ports on the Keyboard but can I get anything to happen between
the two?  Can I eck like!

Can't send data to or from either to the other.  Anyone got any ideas at
all?  I know that the cable works because I plugged one end into my Midi
Controller Keyboard and played through to my Yam PSR240 keyboard with no
problems.  Its a midi setting somewhere  think, but I really do have no
idea!!

Many thanks in advance

2. PIC16C711 : MCLR reset demage me the RAM data.

3. FS: Yamaha Waveforce 192XG Sound Card

4. Mathffp.lib for Fleuch?

5. Comparisons? Yamaha DB-50XG vs WaveForce 192XG Synths

6. About trying a philips nino 300?

7. SB Live vs Yamaha XG Waveforce; opinions?

8. Internet Connection Server for AS/400

9. Yamaha Waveforce 192XG, opinions please.

10. Yamaha waveforce

11. Buggy Reverb in YAMAHA WaveForce-192XG

12. Watned: Comments on Yamaha Waveforce DX.. card

13. Yamaha Waveforce 192XG/WIN98SE problem?