midi thru

Post by yan fen » Wed, 25 Jun 1997 04:00:00

This might be the easiest question, but I still find it confusing:
What is the difference between midi out and midi thru? Thanks in advance
for some enlightening explanation for a beginner.
Yan Feng

midi thru

Post by Jeff » Thu, 26 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> This might be the easiest question, but I still find it confusing:
> What is the difference between midi out and midi thru? Thanks in advance
> for some enlightening explanation for a beginner.
> Yan Feng

MIDI OUT is only data that is sent from a keyboard or module to the
sequencer.  MIDI THRU is used for daisy-chaining keyboards together.  The
typical configuration is:

sequencer midi out to keyboard 1 midi in
keyboard 1 midi thru to keyboard 2 midi in
keyboard 2 midi thru to keyboard 3 midi in      and so forth
until you reach the end of the chain, then you take the midi out from the
last keyboard in the chain and send it to midi in on the sequencer.

Jeff

midi thru

Post by Michael Legn » Fri, 27 Jun 1997 04:00:00

Midi out will send notes etc *generated* by the equipment
while Midi Thru will pass on the notes etc received on
Midi In.

/Michael

>This might be the easiest question, but I still find it confusing:
>What is the difference between midi out and midi thru? Thanks in advance
>for some enlightening explanation for a beginner.
>Yan Feng

1. Does midi thru pass to midi out?

The midi thru connector is supposed to be wired directly to the
midi in connector - The midi data comes into the midi in, passes through
an opto-isolator and is routed to the synth and the midi thru connector.
So all data appearing on the midi in connector should be transmitted to
the midi thru connector. Because of the components between midi in and
midi thru, some people experience a slight delay in midi data between
the time it goes into the synth and the time it comes out of the thru
port, but with your setup, you should not experience this problem.

You should be able to run the midi out of the drum machine to the midi
in of the keyboard, and the midi thru of the keyboard to the midi in of
the computer.  Of course, now you cannot control the keyboard from the
computer.  Depending on the sequencer capabilities, you may be able to
run the midi out of the drum machine into the computer, sync the
sequencer and then have the sequencer send out sync and other data from
the machine to the keyboard.  But now you cannot send data from the
keyboard to the computer. With a midi merge box, you could run the drum
machine and keyboard independently.
Linda

2. Unstable Object Navigator

3. afinet.sys and sockets.sys

4. Midi thru dropping out

5. attributes mirrored in title block

6. Mac MIDI Thru Utility?

7. NFS & Name Space?

8. FA: MIDI THRU BOX 2x8 - CASIO TB-1 w/AC Adapter, $10

9. Midi thru problem, can you help me please.

10. MIDI thru Joystick PORT ? How

11. FS === Casio TB-1 MIDI Thru Box/Switcher ===

12. ------- FS- Casio TB-1 MIDI Thru Box/Switcher $25