Can't access DBXG50 with MIDI keyboard

Post by Bryan Anderso » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

I have been trying to allow my Yamaha DX-21 synth to play through my
DBXG50 daughterboard on my Soundblaster 16 PnP.

I am using Windows95 and have a gravis MIDI/Joystick box to use to
connect to my keyboard.

I've tried the latest Soundblaster update patch, but to no avail.

My keyboard will receive MIDI data O.K. (ie. sequencer) but when I hit
a key on my DX21, I can't hear any sounds through my computer speakers
(ie. the corresponding MIDI sound on the DBXG50).

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Bryan Anderson

Can't access DBXG50 with MIDI keyboard

Post by Ron Ginsbe » Sun, 02 Feb 1997 04:00:00

What utility are you using to transfer your MIDI in port to your MIDI out (SB
MIDI out) port? It does not happen automaticly.

You need to fire up a sequencer (Cakewalk, etc.) and enable MIDI thru, or for
just live playing a sound editor such as XGEdit
(http://www.*theque.fr/galerie/GGregson/xgedit.htm) with MIDI thru
enabled. Get XGEdit downloaded for the set-up docs, and it can be used in its
demo form to do what I am describing. the docs also point you to Windows MIDI
port piping utilities that will allow your MIDI in ports to be pipied to your
MIDI out ports.

Quote:>Date: Fri, 31 Jan 1997 18:07:51 -0500
>I have been trying to allow my Yamaha DX-21 synth to play through my
>DBXG50 daughterboard on my Soundblaster 16 PnP.
>I am using Windows95 and have a gravis MIDI/Joystick box to use to
>connect to my keyboard.
>I've tried the latest Soundblaster update patch, but to no avail.
>My keyboard will receive MIDI data O.K. (ie. sequencer) but when I hit
>a key on my DX21, I can't hear any sounds through my computer speakers
>(ie. the corresponding MIDI sound on the DBXG50).
>Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
>Regards,
>Bryan Anderson

Can't access DBXG50 with MIDI keyboard

Post by Jim Hatfie » Mon, 03 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>What utility are you using to transfer your MIDI in port to your MIDI out (SB
>MIDI out) port? It does not happen automaticly.

>You need to fire up a sequencer (Cakewalk, etc.) and enable MIDI thru, or for
>just live playing a sound editor such as XGEdit

I have experienced hesitations when using XGEdit to provide Midi thru
functions. Switching to a sequencer (EVA) fixed it.

jim
Jim Hatfield (anti-junk-mail * in reply address)

Post by Nick Whi » Mon, 03 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>I have been trying to allow my Yamaha DX-21 synth to play through my
>DBXG50 daughterboard on my Soundblaster 16 PnP.
>I am using Windows95 and have a gravis MIDI/Joystick box to use to
>connect to my keyboard.
>I've tried the latest Soundblaster update patch, but to no avail.
>My keyboard will receive MIDI data O.K. (ie. sequencer) but when I hit
>a key on my DX21, I can't hear any sounds through my computer speakers
>(ie. the corresponding MIDI sound on the DBXG50).
>Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.
>Regards,
>Bryan Anderson

What MIDI software are you using to get the MIDI to the soundcard?

You will need to assign a MIDI output port to the DB50XG (you should
have installed a daughtercard driver when you installed it, although I
don't know Win 95)

Post by Guenter Nagle » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> I have been trying to allow my Yamaha DX-21 synth to play through my
> DBXG50 daughterboard on my Soundblaster 16 PnP.

> I am using Windows95 and have a gravis MIDI/Joystick box to use to
> connect to my keyboard.

> I've tried the latest Soundblaster update patch, but to no avail.

> My keyboard will receive MIDI data O.K. (ie. sequencer) but when I hit
> a key on my DX21, I can't hear any sounds through my computer speakers
> (ie. the corresponding MIDI sound on the DBXG50).

I use XGEDIT with SB16 PnP under Win95 and midi connected KORG i3
keyboard. The correct midi in and midi out device must be chosen in
XGEDIT program.  With my keyboard, it only works in a certain keyboard
mode PROGRAM MODE and not in sequencer mode, because in sequencer mode
it
does not transfer any notes through the midi interface.

Maybe you have also different modes on your keyboard.

Can't access DBXG50 with MIDI keyboard

Post by Bryan Anderso » Tue, 04 Feb 1997 04:00:00

To those that sent reply's:

Thank you very much.  With your help I have been able to get my setup
going.  It is nice to know that there are people like yourselves who are
willing to help somebody out and save them the frustration, for
something as simple as setting up MIDI THRU on my sequencer.  Just one
more quick question.

1)  I realize that XGEDIT (I still need to get this), will allow me to
unlock the full potential of the DBXG50, but, is Cakewalk fully
compatible with the XG format (ie. access all the sounds and
parameters).  The reason I'm asking is that the Sequencer software I'm
using now, (very cheap by the way) will only allow me to access the
General MIDI portions of the card.  If there was something to allow me
to access the other tremendous sounds, I would be very grateful.

Once again, thanks.

Bryan Anderson

Post by William » Wed, 05 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>>I have been trying to allow my Yamaha DX-21 synth to play through my
>>DBXG50 daughterboard on my Soundblaster 16 PnP.

>>I am using Windows95 and have a gravis MIDI/Joystick box to use to
>>connect to my keyboard.

>>I've tried the latest Soundblaster update patch, but to no avail.

>>My keyboard will receive MIDI data O.K. (ie. sequencer) but when I hit
>>a key on my DX21, I can't hear any sounds through my computer speakers
>>(ie. the corresponding MIDI sound on the DBXG50).

Obvious question here. Do you have a MIDI sequencer running with MIDI Thru
enabled? Otherwise, you will get absolutely nada.

Post by ka3.. » Mon, 10 Feb 1997 04:00:00

>My keyboard will receive MIDI data O.K. (ie. sequencer) but when I hit
>a key on my DX21, I can't hear any sounds through my computer speakers
>(ie. the corresponding MIDI sound on the DBXG50).

In the Voyetra Orchestrator sequencer that came with my sound card, you
have
to select a MIDI input device....  perhaps you need to do likewise with
yours???

Can't access DBXG50 with MIDI keyboard

Post by marcel gauthie » Tue, 11 Feb 1997 04:00:00

hi

if you use a sb16 soundcard or comp. w/wavebalster connector, you have to
choose <sb midi out> to enable the daughter board

the fm synth build on the card could be something like:
voyetra sapi dr. / opl3 / fm synthesis or similar

m.g.

1. HELP: Can't Access ALT.BINARIES.SOUNDS.MIDI

Dear Sirs:
    I can't seem to get to "ALT.BINARIES.SOUNDS.MIDI" and
"ALT.BINARIES.SOUNDS.MIDI.ALTERNATIVE" on Netnews.msn.com
I can get to other sites on Netnews.msn.com but not these two
any more up until a week ago or so.
I have called MSN tech support, and were clueless about newsgroups
and claimed no support.
The message I get when I try to access the two sites is
"Server cannot this site" and under details it reads "502 Access Denied".

2. adding a share price

3. Wanted: Dr. T′s Copyist PC DTP

4. Subclassing DBD::ODBC

5. Keyboards with 'key' aftertouch

6. Can't get started with CW7

7. Yamaha Keyboard 'freezing'...

8. 4PLEX drive performance measurable?

9. how do I get my keyboard's sounds intstead of souncard's

10. ''''''''' FORSALE: Waldorf MicroWave synth + sound cards '''''''''

11. YAMAHA DBXG50

12. AWE32 + Yamaha DBXG50

13. DBXG50 and percussion