Getting into MIDI for composition

Post by Greg » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 19:45:42

I am interested in obtaining a good MIDI keyboard for the purpose of
composing music for my Church.  I have been using a Kurzweil SP88
keyboard and Finale with some success, but this is the churches
keyboard and it is pretty cumbsersome to move it back and forth :)
Not only that but I've found some limitations.

A little background- I was considering getting my own Kurzweil SP88
but the main CON is that it only supports playback on 1 midi channel.
In addition to that, I've also had some strange latency problems when
doing playback/recording with FINALE. I attribute that more to my
setup than to the keyboard, and I do have a workaround (alternate the
playback device).  I have a soundblaster LIVE gamer sound card, and I
purchased a Yamaha UX16 for midi in/out as well.  Not sure what the
problem is.

Anyway, I'm looking for a good keyboard recommendation, and was hoping
that I could get some advice.

Price range: $600-$700
Midi: 16 channel in/out/through
Polyphony: 32 or higher
Feel: Velocity Keys, aftertouch, weighted or semi-weighted
Pedal: Sustain, possibly one for punch in/out
Sound: The least important since it will mostly be tethered to a
computer, BUT if I can play it in front of people w/o it sounding like
a toy, great!
Keys: 76 or 88, nothing less.

I really like the look/feel/sound/capability of a Roland RD-150 but
the price is too high. Yamaha P60's don't seem to be bad either.
Really the ideal Keyboard is the Kurzweil SP88, it just lacks the midi
that I really want. I'm definitely willing to go used as well...

Any suggestions / links much appreciated!

Getting into MIDI for composition

Post by Harald Schollmeye » Wed, 09 Jul 2003 20:23:26

If you like Kurzweil, see if you can get a K2600 used.
Other machines to look at would be the Roland XP-80, some older
Korg Workstations like the original Tritons or a Yamaha Clavinova.

Harald

Getting into MIDI for composition

Post by JB Seattl » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 09:00:25

Kind of depends--you can get a Roland SD-20 sound module and Edirol
controller for less than you price and using the PC and decent software like
Finale come up with nice orchestrations.
JB

Quote:> I am interested in obtaining a good MIDI keyboard for the purpose of
> composing music for my Church.  I have been using a Kurzweil SP88
> keyboard and Finale with some success, but this is the churches
> keyboard and it is pretty cumbsersome to move it back and forth :)
> Not only that but I've found some limitations.

> A little background- I was considering getting my own Kurzweil SP88
> but the main CON is that it only supports playback on 1 midi channel.
> In addition to that, I've also had some strange latency problems when
> doing playback/recording with FINALE. I attribute that more to my
> setup than to the keyboard, and I do have a workaround (alternate the
> playback device).  I have a soundblaster LIVE gamer sound card, and I
> purchased a Yamaha UX16 for midi in/out as well.  Not sure what the
> problem is.

> Anyway, I'm looking for a good keyboard recommendation, and was hoping
> that I could get some advice.

> Price range: $600-$700
> Midi: 16 channel in/out/through
> Polyphony: 32 or higher
> Feel: Velocity Keys, aftertouch, weighted or semi-weighted
> Pedal: Sustain, possibly one for punch in/out
> Sound: The least important since it will mostly be tethered to a
> computer, BUT if I can play it in front of people w/o it sounding like
> a toy, great!
> Keys: 76 or 88, nothing less.

> I really like the look/feel/sound/capability of a Roland RD-150 but
> the price is too high. Yamaha P60's don't seem to be bad either.
> Really the ideal Keyboard is the Kurzweil SP88, it just lacks the midi
> that I really want. I'm definitely willing to go used as well...

> Any suggestions / links much appreciated!

1. New MIDI Site Needs MIDI Compositions

--------------FFD2803F1537E22CE8DE385E

Hello.  My name is David Schachner and I am the creator of a new web
site, called  The SPOT
(http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/7035/index.html).  At The SPOT,
there are collections of artwork, music (MIDI), quotations, and poetry.
The music page, Music Mart
(http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/7035/musicmart.html), currently
only contains some songs I have written, but will continue to expand.
If you would like to give me your MIDI compositions to add to Music
Mart, either attach your MIDI to a follw-up of this message, or visit
the Give It (http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/7035/giveit.html)
section of The SPOT.  There, you will see directions on how to e-mail
your MIDI to me.

--------------FFD2803F1537E22CE8DE385E

<HTML>
Hello.&nbsp; My name is David Schachner and I am the creator of a new web
site, called&nbsp; <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/7035/index.html">The
SPOT (http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/7035/index.html)</A>.&nbsp;
At The SPOT, there are collections of artwork, music (MIDI), quotations,
and poetry.&nbsp; The music page, <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/7035/musicmart.html">Music
Mart (http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/7035/musicmart.html)</A>, currently
only contains some songs I have written, but will continue to expand.&nbsp;
If you would like to give me your MIDI compositions to add to Music Mart,
either attach your MIDI to a follw-up of this message, or visit the <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/7035/giveit.html">Give
It (http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Studios/7035/giveit.html)</A> section
of The SPOT.&nbsp; There, you will see directions on how to e-mail your
MIDI to me.</HTML>

--------------FFD2803F1537E22CE8DE385E--

2. is win64 still supported?

3. Getting Started with Midi

4. ISDN

5. Getting QY10 midi tracks into sequencer software

6. Epson Perfection 1200S AVA-2903B and XP

7. Only getting sound from MIDI Ch. 1, 2 and 10

8. Looking for Financial Software on the Psion 5

9. Anyone know MIDI really well - software hookup question, getting no signals

10. Getting a Jimmy Page Sound from General MIDI?

11. Getting from MIDI to a CD

12. Getting SB Live 5.1 to play MIDIs the way AWE32 does...