Halion, Cubasis, Logic Audio, Cakewalk vs. Linux

Halion, Cubasis, Logic Audio, Cakewalk vs. Linux

Post by Snubbelfoo » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 04:16:26

I'm interested in getting to know more about MIDI under Linux machines.
Especially I need to know if the programs that are available for Linux offer
the same or even more options, and if they do their jobs as good as do
Cubasis, Logic Audio etc. on Windows machines. Does it pay off to move to
Linux?

How about softsynths - I like working with SoundFonts (*.SF2) and I have
found out that they can be used with some applications under Linux as well
as under Windows. What are the Linux-softsynths like? Do they work as good
as do their commercial Windows counterparts?

My computer (AMD 2000+, 512MB) should be fast enough for this, as far as
hardware is concerned.

All kinds of hints welcome, thx for Your help.

Kind regards,
Lutz.

Post by Emiliano Grill » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 04:55:02

> I'm interested in getting to know more about MIDI under Linux machines.
> Especially I need to know if the programs that are available for Linux
> offer the same or even more options, and if they do their jobs as good
> as do Cubasis, Logic Audio etc. on Windows machines. Does it pay off to
> move to Linux?

There are some promising projects on the go, like muse
(http://muse.seh.de) and ardour (http://ardour.sf.net - no MIDI yet)
Sequencers still do not offer the control that logic or cubase has, but
however are usable and productive as well. Another project you might be
interested to is Rosegarden: http://www.all-day-breakfast.com/rosegarden/
FWIW, I have made the switch and I'm very happy. I use a bundle called
PlanetCCRMA on a RedHat 8.0:
http://www-ccrma.stanford.edu/planetccrma/software/

Quote:> How about softsynths - I like working with SoundFonts (*.SF2) and I have
> found out that they can be used with some applications under Linux as
> well as under Windows. What are the Linux-softsynths like? Do they work
> as good as do their commercial Windows counterparts?

I don't know well windows soft-synths, but for linux there are many:
http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/
http://www.suse.de/~mana/kalsatools.html
http://www.pawfal.org/Software/SSM/
...and many others

For sf2, you have the choice between timidity and fluidsynth
http://www.onicos.com/staff/iz/timidity/ http://www.fluidsynth.org/

Quote:> Kind regards,
> Lutz.

HTH
Ciao

--
  .-----------------------.
  | Emiliano Grilli       |

  | Linux user #209089    |
  | http://www.emillo.net |
  '-----------------------'

1. Logic Audio PC vs. Cakewalk Pro Audio

I'm getting ready to upgrade my sequencing setup to include digital
audio. I'm wondering if anyone out there with experience with either
or both of these programs could give me info on their relative strengths
and weaknesses. Which would you buy for multimedia, video, film, and
sound production? Please email any replies.

                                Thanx
--
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Ubermuse Productions

Life is like a salad, but you don't eat it. You live it!

2. How to save my custom class object to a file?

3. cubasis vs cubase vs cakewalk - opinions?

4. New Artificial Intelligence (AI) site

5. Cakewalk 5.0 vs Logic Audio

6. Nokia Card Phone 2.0

7. CakeWalk vs. Logic Audio

8. comp.soft-sys.ptolemy Frequently Asked Questions

9. Cubase Audio vs. Logic Audio - any recommendations?

10. Cubase Audio vs. Logic Audio

11. Cakewalk 6 -- Home Studio vs. Pro Audio vs. Professional

12. cubasis vs. cakewalk

13. Cubase Audio vs. Cakewalk Pro Audio