USB MIDI adapter recommendations?

Post by Sir Maste » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 01:52:57

Hi All,

I'm looking for recommendations on a USB (1.1 or 2.x) MIDI adapter. I
saw the MOTU FastLane which looked okay but I'm not exactly sure what
to look for in terms of features and performance. Is that overkill?

For example, what makes an interface "professional quality"?
Gigastudio seems to want one. For a basic home set up would I need
more than 2inx2out? I think that's a function of how many channels I
want to have available? So two in/out would/should give me 32
channels, and I can still daisy chain several MIDI instruments?

I'm looking for something under $150 street price, that I won't
outgrow a year from now when I might have an idea of what I'm doing.
LOL.

I'd appreciate any recommendations on adapters. I have an HP Pavilion
running Windows XP with USB 2.0 and FireWire ports. My model has
built in sound so there's no game port and both PCI slots are in use.

Thanks,
Mark

USB MIDI adapter recommendations?

Post by Steve Nelso » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 03:36:42

I like my Midiman 1 x 1, even use it with a MIDI patch bay, but it works
well alone...paid around $45 for it.  Midiman also makes a small portable
USB adapter, I guess for use w. a laptop.
Steve

Quote:> Hi All,

> I'm looking for recommendations on a USB (1.1 or 2.x) MIDI adapter. I
> saw the MOTU FastLane which looked okay but I'm not exactly sure what
> to look for in terms of features and performance. Is that overkill?

> For example, what makes an interface "professional quality"?
> Gigastudio seems to want one. For a basic home set up would I need
> more than 2inx2out? I think that's a function of how many channels I
> want to have available? So two in/out would/should give me 32
> channels, and I can still daisy chain several MIDI instruments?

> I'm looking for something under $150 street price, that I won't
> outgrow a year from now when I might have an idea of what I'm doing.
> LOL.

> I'd appreciate any recommendations on adapters. I have an HP Pavilion
> running Windows XP with USB 2.0 and FireWire ports. My model has
> built in sound so there's no game port and both PCI slots are in use.

> Thanks,
> Mark

USB MIDI adapter recommendations?

Post by MS » Mon, 23 Jun 2003 00:22:21

Did you look at:

www.edirol.com

I think they have a couple fairly inexpensive. Or, as someone mentioned:

www.m-audio.com

(same company as Midiman)

The less expensive ones only have one in, one out though, so if you want
more ins and outs, it will cost you more.

I don't know if anyone has come out with one yet that supports USB 2. They
certainly should, as that could reduce a lot of latency problems, etc. I'm
sure there will be some within the next year, but they might be more
expensive at first.

Quote:> Hi All,

> I'm looking for recommendations on a USB (1.1 or 2.x) MIDI adapter. I
> saw the MOTU FastLane which looked okay but I'm not exactly sure what
> to look for in terms of features and performance. Is that overkill?

> For example, what makes an interface "professional quality"?
> Gigastudio seems to want one. For a basic home set up would I need
> more than 2inx2out? I think that's a function of how many channels I
> want to have available? So two in/out would/should give me 32
> channels, and I can still daisy chain several MIDI instruments?

> I'm looking for something under $150 street price, that I won't
> outgrow a year from now when I might have an idea of what I'm doing.
> LOL.

> I'd appreciate any recommendations on adapters. I have an HP Pavilion
> running Windows XP with USB 2.0 and FireWire ports. My model has
> built in sound so there's no game port and both PCI slots are in use.

> Thanks,
> Mark

USB MIDI adapter recommendations?

Post by JB Seattl » Wed, 25 Jun 2003 02:37:51

Daisy chaining is a nightmare.  You need a midi patch bay like the MOTU or
the Midiman with 8 channels I/O and assignable.
JB

Quote:> Hi All,

> I'm looking for recommendations on a USB (1.1 or 2.x) MIDI adapter. I
> saw the MOTU FastLane which looked okay but I'm not exactly sure what
> to look for in terms of features and performance. Is that overkill?

> For example, what makes an interface "professional quality"?
> Gigastudio seems to want one. For a basic home set up would I need
> more than 2inx2out? I think that's a function of how many channels I
> want to have available? So two in/out would/should give me 32
> channels, and I can still daisy chain several MIDI instruments?

> I'm looking for something under $150 street price, that I won't
> outgrow a year from now when I might have an idea of what I'm doing.
> LOL.

> I'd appreciate any recommendations on adapters. I have an HP Pavilion
> running Windows XP with USB 2.0 and FireWire ports. My model has
> built in sound so there's no game port and both PCI slots are in use.

> Thanks,
> Mark

1. Recommendations for parallel/serial port <-> MIDI adaptors?

Hi,

I've got an old AST laptop that predates USB, but is nice, small, quiet and
reliable and plenty powerful enough to drive 16 channels of MIDI for
gigging.  Needless to say I'm looking for something cheap (<100$) so PCMCIA
sound cards are out of the question.

I've ordered a "simpmidi 10" dongle from www.good-ear.com, since it was only
25$US.  Anyone heard of these things/these people?  The next nearest thing I
could find was a MIDIMAN box (with a genuine massive Centronics parallel
port connector!) at 70$US.

cheers!

2. my router's now asking for a username when I telnet to it :( !?

3. MIDI USB Adaptor for Mac ?

4. Scanning

5. Aluminum Wiring

6. Recommendations on a simple USB-to-MIDI interface

7. TMS320C5410 and video input?

8. Recommendation for USB MIDI interface?

9. Emagic AMT8 USB version - 'USB Composite Device' problem

10. A problem with MIDI OUT of the midi adapter

11. MIDI adapter cable from S.B GOLD 64 to MIDI Keyboard

12. Wanted: Midi sound card adapter.....