Newbie with Yamaha PSR-280

Post by Mike O'Dorne » Tue, 02 Jan 2001 13:48:18

I have a Yamaha PSR-280 keyboard
Finale Software
and a Compaq Workstation (Pentium II - 300) with NT

For Midi, what soundcard should I use?

What's a good online source for the card and Midi cable?

Do I also need Cakewalk (or equivalent)?

thanks,
mike
--

When cryptography is outlawed, only outlaws
will qwertzuio asdfghjk pyxcvbnml

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

Newbie with Yamaha PSR-280

Post by JB/Seattl » Wed, 03 Jan 2001 15:20:06

The best card for you the get is the Yamaha SW1000XG-it works well with NT
which is not midi friendly at all and not designed to be.
JB

> I have a Yamaha PSR-280 keyboard
> Finale Software
> and a Compaq Workstation (Pentium II - 300) with NT

> For Midi, what soundcard should I use?

> What's a good online source for the card and Midi cable?

> Do I also need Cakewalk (or equivalent)?

> thanks,
> mike
> --

> When cryptography is outlawed, only outlaws
> will qwertzuio asdfghjk pyxcvbnml

> Sent via Deja.com
> http://www.deja.com/

Newbie with Yamaha PSR-280

Post by Mike O'Dorne » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 00:12:22

Quote:> The best card for you the get is the Yamaha SW1000XG-it works well
with NT
> which is not midi friendly at all and not designed to be.
> JB

I don't have to use NT, I can go to W95 or W2000.  Would that be
better?  What are the advantages?

thanks,

--

Post by Brent Coo » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 02:49:45

> > The best card for you the get is the Yamaha SW1000XG-it works well
> with NT
> > which is not midi friendly at all and not designed to be.
> > JB
> I don't have to use NT, I can go to W95 or W2000.  Would that be
> better?  What are the advantages?

From what I've pieced together, MS had a hart time getting a 32 bit
timer driver to be stable, so the timing of MIDI in NT is very bad (try
playing some midi tunes in NT 4 and you can hear what I mean). Win 9x/ME
use a 16 bit driver that is somewhat accurate and will allow you to do
some accurate playback and sync audio and midi. I don't know about
Win2000, since I've not found 2k drivers yet that support MIDI with my
setup.

Also, DirectX >3 is supported in the non NT variations, which may be a
requirement of plugins and the like for digital audio packages
(cakewalk, etc.)
Brent

Newbie with Yamaha PSR-280

Post by Jeffery S. Jone » Thu, 04 Jan 2001 04:20:45

>> The best card for you the get is the Yamaha SW1000XG-it works well
>with NT
>> which is not midi friendly at all and not designed to be.
>> JB
>I don't have to use NT, I can go to W95 or W2000.  Would that be
>better?  What are the advantages?

  NT does not support devices which do not have NT specific drivers
(same with Win2k).  Most MIDI devices, including the Win95 interface,
use 16 bit elements for timing stability.  There are exceptions, but
working around it means picking hardware and software which will work
fine with NT.

  NT is better, if all your stuff works with it.  The OS does offer
advantages.  But you can use a lot more gear, software and hardware,
if you go with Win9x, since it supports more.
--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________|  *Starfire*   |____________________-*
*Task Force Games*            <http://www.task-force-games.com>

1. For a newbie: Yamaha PSR series or Casio CTK-611?

Ok, I've come into a few bucks this week.  This is what I want to be
able to do:

create drum loops
create basslines for r&b, rap, pop songs
learn to play piano

I've seen the casio 611 for $179, the yamaha psr225 for $199.  The
psr330 was around $350 and I'm not sure if I wanna invest that much
right now.  For what I want to do, which keyboard would you recommend?
I figure for things like realistic piano playing, I could hook the
damn thing up to my SB live w/ a good soundfont, right?

Thanks!

2. Only 1 out of 2 connects

3. YAMAHA PSR-620 newbie

4. Microsoft personal web server dies

5. Newbie question re Yamaha PSR-47

6. FPS on dedicated server

7. Newbie question: Yamaha PSR-85 and Voyetra's MIDI Orchestrator Plus

8. Calorado Trakker 250 for OS/2 Wrap

9. Fostex 280 4 trk

10. 280 pages of songs, karaoke and tribute to artists

11. Vendo Fostex 280 (4 Tracks)

12. VENDO MULTIPISTAS FOSTEX 280

13. Help! Is MacNexus compatible with Powerbook Duo 280?