Rank newbie question

Post by Mike Megarg » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 06:02:09

I browsed and searched the newsgroups for guidance, but I want to
confirm my decisions.

My Goal:
Compose and arrange my own music for the entertainment of me and
friends.  Not at all professional, but would like multiple voices, and
would like it to sound nice.

My intended approach:
Record music from electronic keyboard to computer via midi port.
Add audio (vocals, maybe guitar) via microphone.
Arrange/edit/etc. on the computer.
Use keyboard to play results (absent analog audio).
Create MP3s of results.

My proposed purchases to cheaply implement this approach:
Yamaha PSR-282 (~$200)
Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 or Audigy MP3+ sound card  ($70-$90)
Cakewalk Home Studio 9.0 or Cakewalk PC Music Pack ($50-$80)

My questions:
1) For my humble goal, am I on target with my proposed purchases?
2) Any advantage to one sound card over the other?  Any in the same
price range I should consider?
3) Same question for the Cakewalk products.
4) The SB cards seem to have one MIDI port-- I assume this means I
have to switch my cord between the keyboard ports, or am I missing
something obvious?

Thanks very much in advance for any guidance!

Rank newbie question

Post by Mark Steven » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 10:33:22

You are on target with your purchase, indeed the SB card only comes with one
port but you should get an optional bracket in the box which is a game port,
you can get a lead to this to hook up to midi sockets (cost around 10 quid
or less) or get yourself a midi through box and feed the first lots of
midi's through that.
I have just installed a brand new Soundblaster Live Platinum Audigy onto my
machine today by the way.

Quote:> I browsed and searched the newsgroups for guidance, but I want to
> confirm my decisions.

> My Goal:
> Compose and arrange my own music for the entertainment of me and
> friends.  Not at all professional, but would like multiple voices, and
> would like it to sound nice.

> My intended approach:
> Record music from electronic keyboard to computer via midi port.
> Add audio (vocals, maybe guitar) via microphone.
> Arrange/edit/etc. on the computer.
> Use keyboard to play results (absent analog audio).
> Create MP3s of results.

> My proposed purchases to cheaply implement this approach:
> Yamaha PSR-282 (~$200)
> Creative Sound Blaster Live 5.1 or Audigy MP3+ sound card  ($70-$90)
> Cakewalk Home Studio 9.0 or Cakewalk PC Music Pack ($50-$80)

> My questions:
> 1) For my humble goal, am I on target with my proposed purchases?
> 2) Any advantage to one sound card over the other?  Any in the same
> price range I should consider?
> 3) Same question for the Cakewalk products.
> 4) The SB cards seem to have one MIDI port-- I assume this means I
> have to switch my cord between the keyboard ports, or am I missing
> something obvious?

> Thanks very much in advance for any guidance!

1. Rank Newbie wit basic questions!

I apologize for the level of these questions but I have invested all
of $120 in my Radio Shack concertmate 9800 and would like to give midi
a try :-)

I was told at the store I should connect the midi cables to my sound
card game port but as there is no documentation I thought I had better
get some expert opinion

The unit comes with midi in\out but I gather from the docs that the
implementation is not complete.

I would like some sources of basic software

Thanks

Gerry

Digital Photo Page:

http://homepages.infoseek.com/~balsamlake/index.htm

And

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=128847&Auth=false

2. TCP/IP error 735 : The requested address was rejected by the server

3. rank beginner questions

4. sleeping

5. Ranking Family AND/OR Natalie Merchant

6. Further IBM

7. QUESTION...QUESTION...QUESTION...QUESTION...

8. De Jong Functions

9. Newbie Question

10. Newbie question about midi keyboards...

11. Newbie mixer question

12. QY70 newbie question...

13. Help!!! Newbie question