Help!! PC or MAC - Which to Get

Post by David L Moor » Mon, 07 Jul 1997 04:00:00

> There's room for both machines, and the one that's right for you depends
> on your personality.  If you like puzzles, and enjoy spending a lot of
> time trying to figure things out and get them to work, the PC's for you.
> If you look at the computer as a tool with which you want to get things
> done, buy the Mac.

This may have been true once, but the stability of the mac has gone down
as more and more stuff has been added into an old os. You can run into
configuration problems on with either machine.

On the whole Windows 95 is at least as stable as the Mac, but it depends
upon what
you are doing and the software you are using - one badly written piece
of
software on either platform can cause untold trouble. Mac OS8 is
supposed to
fix this. With luck, it will make the Mac as stable as Unix, which will
make it much
more stable than Windows.

Expandibility was always a problem with the Mac but, in principle,
should be much
less a problem now since Apple adopted the PCI bus. However, getting
drivers for
many boards may be a problem.

Because historically the Mac was the platform of choice for music
applications, you
are likely to find support for the Mac will be available for longer in
this field.

For general purpose use, the PC is the platform of choice right now
simply because
getting applications on the Mac is becoming a problem. Not only are
fewer new applications
being written but shelf space for Mac apps is withering away too.
(Mail-order is still
strong, however)

Many of us are hoping that Apple will turn around and become a viable
general purpose platform
again, if for no other reason than that platform competition promotes
advances in technology, but it
is not at all clear to me that this will happen.

Help!! PC or MAC - Which to Get

Post by John Mort » Fri, 11 Jul 1997 04:00:00

:
: I totally agree, but unfortunately software is mostly available on
: PCs, and each time I am find interesting MIDI stuff, it is 100% for
: PC.
:

I've been using PC's since the 8088, and I'm getting a Mac for the sole
purpose of being a music machine.  They simply work better for the job.
If this we're any other newsgroup, I'd say get a PC, but if you're even
semi-serious about using it to make music, you'll probably be more
frustrated with one.

Even if the mac is a dying platform, all of today's computers will be
virtually obsolete before it happens anyhow.  Get what you need today and
use it.

john m.

Help!! PC or MAC - Which to Get

Post by Salfal » Wed, 16 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Amop,
Let me know if you have any questions on Mac/music production.