Problems with MIDI on XP...

Post by Mark Starm » Tue, 01 Jul 2003 23:03:16

Hi,

I am running cubase on windows xp using an internal MIDI port on a
Intel 810 Processor (Intel 82801AA AC'97 audio driver), this is
connected to a CS1x - It has definately been setup correctly on the
MIDI front...

The problem is that my software cannot detect the MIDI device (i.e.
does not show on the MIDI inputs list) In fact there is absolutely
nothing on the MIDI input list. Perhaps a driver problem? Has anybody
else experienced a similar problem under XP?

Things I know for definate
 1... The MIDI device works on Win '98
 2... MIDI setup is correct
 3... MIDI cables are working
 4... CS1x is setup to work with MIDI

Thanks in advance.

Mark Starmer

http://www.markstarmer.co.uk

Problems with MIDI on XP...

Post by JB Seattl » Wed, 02 Jul 2003 00:30:29

Look for the MPU401 driver, I also have one of those crappy AC97 cards that
came with this PC but it does have the MPU401 driver that makes the gameport
midi I/O.
Goto Control Panel/Sounds and audio devices/Audio and down to midi music
playback and all your midi drivers should be there and MPU401 should be
there.  MAKE sure the use only default devices is UNCHECKED--or that is all
your midi software will see.
If you cannot find the MPU401 driver listed there, goto the Hardware tab and
see if it is listed there.
If not, then you need the MPU401 driver loaded and should be on whatever
disk that came with your computer.
JB

Quote:> Hi,

> I am running cubase on windows xp using an internal MIDI port on a
> Intel 810 Processor (Intel 82801AA AC'97 audio driver), this is
> connected to a CS1x - It has definately been setup correctly on the
> MIDI front...

> The problem is that my software cannot detect the MIDI device (i.e.
> does not show on the MIDI inputs list) In fact there is absolutely
> nothing on the MIDI input list. Perhaps a driver problem? Has anybody
> else experienced a similar problem under XP?

> Things I know for definate
>  1... The MIDI device works on Win '98
>  2... MIDI setup is correct
>  3... MIDI cables are working
>  4... CS1x is setup to work with MIDI

> Thanks in advance.

> Mark Starmer

> http://www.markstarmer.co.uk

Problems with MIDI on XP...

Post by Mark Starm » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 04:51:29

> Look for the MPU401 driver, I also have one of those crappy AC97 cards that
> came with this PC but it does have the MPU401 driver that makes the gameport
> midi I/O.
> Goto Control Panel/Sounds and audio devices/Audio and down to midi music
> playback and all your midi drivers should be there and MPU401 should be
> there.  MAKE sure the use only default devices is UNCHECKED--or that is all
> your midi software will see.
> If you cannot find the MPU401 driver listed there, goto the Hardware tab and
> see if it is listed there.
> If not, then you need the MPU401 driver loaded and should be on whatever
> disk that came with your computer.
> JB

Hi,

I managed to install the MPU401 driver, although it said it couldn't
use IRQ 10 (because the resource is already in use), I decided to
change it to IRQ 5 and I now get a message saying

'This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.'

When I click on trouble shooting, nothing is displayed...

Any ideas?

Don't you just hate Windows! Looks like I may be forced to buy a new
soundcard / MIDI interface with my mext pay check!

Best Regards

Mark Starmer

http://www.markstarmer.co.uk/

Problems with MIDI on XP...

Post by Jeffery S. Jone » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 07:54:27

>> Look for the MPU401 driver, I also have one of those crappy AC97 cards that
>> came with this PC but it does have the MPU401 driver that makes the gameport
>> midi I/O.
>> Goto Control Panel/Sounds and audio devices/Audio and down to midi music
>> playback and all your midi drivers should be there and MPU401 should be
>> there.  MAKE sure the use only default devices is UNCHECKED--or that is all
>> your midi software will see.
>> If you cannot find the MPU401 driver listed there, goto the Hardware tab and
>> see if it is listed there.
>> If not, then you need the MPU401 driver loaded and should be on whatever
>> disk that came with your computer.
>> JB

>Hi,

>I managed to install the MPU401 driver, although it said it couldn't
>use IRQ 10 (because the resource is already in use), I decided to
>change it to IRQ 5 and I now get a message saying

>'This device cannot start. (Code 10)

>Click Troubleshoot to start the troubleshooter for this device.'

>When I click on trouble shooting, nothing is displayed...

>Any ideas?

  Try another IRQ.  Either 5 is already in use, or the MPU401 can't
accept it as a possible IRQ (even if you were able to select it in the
control panel, the hardware might not).

  Or try no IRQ -- output only at least should work with no IRQ
assigned, input may depending on the driver.  I'm pretty sure that the
MS driver will work without an IRQ.

Quote:>Don't you just hate Windows! Looks like I may be forced to buy a new
>soundcard / MIDI interface with my mext pay check!

  Well, there is that part.  It isn't Windows so much as it is the
stuff you need to plug in to make that OS work, such as sound cards.

  Generic chipset ones are about the worst.  The drivers aren't the
same as bigger brands using similar chips, and sometimes they just
don't cooperate.  For example, most sound cards with MPU401 support
simply install the MIDI driver automatically.

  However, a couple quick catches:  If there is already another sound
card in place, the driver install might miss some elements (or not put
them in if they conflict with another device).

  If you have AC97 on the motherboard, MIDI I/O may be disabled in the
BIOS.  It saves an IRQ.  Even if you install a driver, it may not work
unless the setup is changed to enable it.  If you have an on-board
gameport, this is a common situation.  Newer MB's lack the gameport,
and therefore also lack the MPU401 hardware.

  A gameport doesn't have to support MIDI I/O.  It sounds like yours
does, though, so it is only a matter of finding the right drivers to
use it.

  WinXP is "picky" -- if the drivers aren't properly installed, it
disables them.
--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________|  *Starfire*   |____________________-*

Problems with MIDI on XP...

Post by JB Seattl » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 01:00:52

Even if you get the MPU running on the Gameport, your only option for
playback is the MS softsynth, which is no good for recording.
So you will need some sort of harware chip soundcard or external midi mod
like a keyboard, etc.
Using the external device is simpler with midi in XP--you only need a USB
interface and they are not that expensive at www.midiman.com
USB is a better pipe for midi anyway.
If you have no external keyboard with midi, then the SB Extigy is a nice
combo midi/audio I/O over the USB, the big drawback is that it does not take
soundfonts like the Audigy internal sound card--but you are already having
IRQ problems and adding a soundcard can only add to the trouble.
JB

Quote:> >> Look for the MPU401 driver, I also have one of those crappy AC97 cards
> [...]

> don't cooperate.  For example, most sound cards with MPU401 support
> simply install the MIDI driver automatically.

>   However, a couple quick catches:  If there is already another sound
> card in place, the driver install might miss some elements (or not put
> them in if they conflict with another device).

>   If you have AC97 on the motherboard, MIDI I/O may be disabled in the
> BIOS.  It saves an IRQ.  Even if you install a driver, it may not work
> unless the setup is changed to enable it.  If you have an on-board
> gameport, this is a common situation.  Newer MB's lack the gameport,
> and therefore also lack the MPU401 hardware.

>   A gameport doesn't have to support MIDI I/O.  It sounds like yours
> does, though, so it is only a matter of finding the right drivers to
> use it.

>   WinXP is "picky" -- if the drivers aren't properly installed, it

Problems with MIDI on XP...

Post by Mark Starm » Thu, 10 Jul 2003 04:29:35

> Even if you get the MPU running on the Gameport, your only option for
> playback is the MS softsynth, which is no good for recording.
> So you will need some sort of harware chip soundcard or external midi mod
> like a keyboard, etc.

I have a Yamaha CS1x which has quite a good sound

Quote:> Using the external device is simpler with midi in XP--you only need a USB
> interface and they are not that expensive at www.midiman.com
> USB is a better pipe for midi anyway.

I'll take a look next time I go to the shops!

Quote:> If you have no external keyboard with midi, then the SB Extigy is a nice
> combo midi/audio I/O over the USB, the big drawback is that it does not take
> soundfonts like the Audigy internal sound card--but you are already having
> IRQ problems and adding a soundcard can only add to the trouble.
> JB

I'm looking into buying the two Yamaha SW??? sound cards in the near
future (which is why I haven't previously procured a mid-range card).
I'm not really sure why I am getting IRQ probs tho' as I only have a
motherboard and NIC on my box... There do seem to be a few free IRQ
slots available. The AC97 just doesn't like them!

I've also tried the latest drives - again, the same problems.

It really seems to annoy me that I can't set up something I managed to
do hassle free 5 years ago when I was 18... I now have a *y degree
in Computing and can't get a MIDI device setup! What hope does the
world have!

Also checked the BIOS, no options to do with MIDI!

Perhaps I should just install Linux! (or get around to buying a USB
MIDI device)

Cheers for the help anyway!

Best Regards

Mark Starmer

http://www.veryComputer.com/

1. Problem Installing MIDI Driver in Windows XP

Hi

I'm trying to install drivers for a Midiman BiPort 2x4s MIDI interface
under Windows XP, and come up with the following error:

An Error occured during the installation of the device. The class
installer has denied the request to install or upgrade this device.

Its a serial device, which should connect to COM1. As far as I can
tell nothing is alreadt using that port. The driver is not digitally
signed - but my preferences allow installation of non-signed drivers
(with a warning).

The drivers have previously worked on my older Win 98 PC, however the
new PC has a MIDI interface on it sound card (Creative SoundBlaster
Audigy card), and I wonder whether there is a conflict with the MIDI
interface on this.

Any thoughts most appreciated...

SB
---
I'm a great fan of science you know

2. Favorite BTMs and Al

3. MIDI problems (NEED HELP with XP-30 setup)

4. UML question: static members(class instances)

5. Problem with Roland XP-30, Cubase and MIDI

6. Accessing .MDB file

7. Midi-Problem with Roland XP-30

8. Mystery Card In Apple II+

9. Roland XP-10 MIDI OUT problems :(

10. FREEWARE:Editor for Roland JV-1080, JV-2080, XP-50 and XP-80

11. Problem with Midiman USB UNO on Windows 2000/XP

12. Driver problems midiman oxygen 8 control keyboard and windows XP