Hooked up my keyboard but getting no signal

Hooked up my keyboard but getting no signal

Post by Bori » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 14:00:46

I got myself a cable to connect my synth directly to my sound card
line-in so I can start plaing with Cakewalk, but somehow I am gettin
no signal in. I tryed different options for MIDI devices, instrument
and audio but don't get any signal in the console for any armed
tracks. Can anybody help me with this problem?
Thanks a lot.
Boris.

Hooked up my keyboard but getting no signal

Post by Bryce Fische » Tue, 12 Mar 2002 22:37:00

Quote:>I got myself a cable to connect my synth directly to my sound card
>line-in so I can start plaing with Cakewalk, but somehow I am gettin
>no signal in. I tryed different options for MIDI devices, instrument
>and audio but don't get any signal in the console for any armed
>tracks. Can anybody help me with this problem?
>Thanks a lot.
>Boris.

Well... You can't plug into your Line In to control midi... Line in is
your audio... You need a midi adapter and a midi cable to do that...

--
Bryce

Me Fail English? That's Unpossible!
http://www.live365.com/stations/133523?play

Post by Bori » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 18:51:20

> >I got myself a cable to connect my synth directly to my sound card
> >line-in so I can start plaing with Cakewalk, but somehow I am gettin
> >no signal in. I tryed different options for MIDI devices, instrument
> >and audio but don't get any signal in the console for any armed
> >tracks. Can anybody help me with this problem?
> >Thanks a lot.
> >Boris.

> Well... You can't plug into your Line In to control midi... Line in is
> your audio... You need a midi adapter and a midi cable to do that...

I got the MIDI cable connected as described but getting no signal.
Just to make shure tried swaping cable connectors around but nothing.
Cakewalk's settings under options menu -> MIDI Devises in the "Output
ports" pane displays three guys as followes: FM Synthesizer, Microsoft
GS Wavetable..., Microsoft MIDI mapper; but nothing in the "Input
ports" pane. I run Win2K Pro: In computer management/system
information/multimedia/sound two devices installed for my card. They
are CM8330 SB16 Driver(WDM) and C-Media CM8330 Audio Driver(WDM) with
IRQ accordingly 5 and 7 and OK Status for both. What do you think the
problem is and what should I do next? Appriciate any help.
Boris.

Hooked up my keyboard but getting no signal

Post by Barry Graha » Mon, 18 Mar 2002 19:58:25

You could try a virtual cable like Midi Ox / MidiYoke from
www.midiox.com
Set up MidiYoke as an input and one of your output devices
as output.

--
Barry Graham
Top Brass Events Band

Quote:> What do you think the

Post by Jeffery S. Jone » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 01:58:49

>> >I got myself a cable to connect my synth directly to my sound card
>> >line-in so I can start plaing with Cakewalk, but somehow I am gettin
>> >no signal in. I tryed different options for MIDI devices, instrument
>> >and audio but don't get any signal in the console for any armed
>> >tracks. Can anybody help me with this problem?
>> >Thanks a lot.
>> >Boris.

>> Well... You can't plug into your Line In to control midi... Line in is
>> your audio... You need a midi adapter and a midi cable to do that...

>I got the MIDI cable connected as described but getting no signal.
>Just to make shure tried swaping cable connectors around but nothing.
>Cakewalk's settings under options menu -> MIDI Devises in the "Output
>ports" pane displays three guys as followes: FM Synthesizer, Microsoft
>GS Wavetable..., Microsoft MIDI mapper; but nothing in the "Input
>ports" pane. I run Win2K Pro: In computer management/system
>information/multimedia/sound two devices installed for my card. They
>are CM8330 SB16 Driver(WDM) and C-Media CM8330 Audio Driver(WDM) with
>IRQ accordingly 5 and 7 and OK Status for both. What do you think the
>problem is and what should I do next? Appriciate any help.
>Boris.

  There should be an external MIDI port device in the list -- SB16
External MIDI or MPU-401 or something similar.  The SB16 Driver should
set up the MIDI port -- but maybe it didn't do so?

  Check out the Sounds control panel and see what MIDI devices are
listed.  Also, in the system control panel, it should, for an SB16
emulation, set up the MIDI port as an individual entry.

  If there is no device driver to use the external MIDI port, you
aren't going to get MIDI in or out to work.  Usually, the external
port is set up as both input and output, and should appear in both
panes.
--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________|  *Starfire*   |____________________-*
*Task Force Games*            <http://www.task-force-games.com>

Post by Bori » Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:14:01

> >> Well... You can't plug into your Line In to control midi... Line in is
> >> your audio... You need a midi adapter and a midi cable to do that...

> >I got the MIDI cable connected as described but getting no signal.
> >Just to make shure tried swaping cable connectors around but nothing.
> >Cakewalk's settings under options menu -> MIDI Devises in the "Output
> >ports" pane displays three guys as followes: FM Synthesizer, Microsoft
> >GS Wavetable..., Microsoft MIDI mapper; but nothing in the "Input
> >ports" pane. I run Win2K Pro: In computer management/system
> >information/multimedia/sound two devices installed for my card. They
> >are CM8330 SB16 Driver(WDM) and C-Media CM8330 Audio Driver(WDM) with
> >IRQ accordingly 5 and 7 and OK Status for both. What do you think the
> >problem is and what should I do next? Appriciate any help.
> >Boris.

>   There should be an external MIDI port device in the list -- SB16
> External MIDI or MPU-401 or something similar.  The SB16 Driver should
> set up the MIDI port -- but maybe it didn't do so?

>   Check out the Sounds control panel and see what MIDI devices are
> listed.  Also, in the system control panel, it should, for an SB16
> emulation, set up the MIDI port as an individual entry.

>   If there is no device driver to use the external MIDI port, you
> aren't going to get MIDI in or out to work.  Usually, the external
> port is set up as both input and output, and should appear in both
> panes.

Thanks Jeffery.

I checked the settings you pointed me to. There is no driver installed
for C-Media game port and there is also no drivers installed for
CMI8330/C3D Audio adapter. I have two other Audio drivers though:
C-Media CM8330 and CM8330 SB16 that kept me happy with the sound
signal output. Now,
* does the sound card have anything to do with MIDI?
* Do I have to worry about the sound driver at this point?
* If I just configure the MIDI port with the appropriate driver will
it resolve the essue of geting MIDI signal from my synth to Cakewalk?

Boris.

Post by Jeffery S. Jone » Wed, 20 Mar 2002 10:35:50

>> >I got the MIDI cable connected as described but getting no signal.
>> >Just to make shure tried swaping cable connectors around but nothing.
>> >Cakewalk's settings under options menu -> MIDI Devises in the "Output
>> >ports" pane displays three guys as followes: FM Synthesizer, Microsoft
>> >GS Wavetable..., Microsoft MIDI mapper; but nothing in the "Input
>> >ports" pane. I run Win2K Pro: In computer management/system
>> >information/multimedia/sound two devices installed for my card. They
>> >are CM8330 SB16 Driver(WDM) and C-Media CM8330 Audio Driver(WDM) with
>> >IRQ accordingly 5 and 7 and OK Status for both. What do you think the
>> >problem is and what should I do next? Appriciate any help.
>> >Boris.

>>   There should be an external MIDI port device in the list -- SB16
>> External MIDI or MPU-401 or something similar.  The SB16 Driver should
>> set up the MIDI port -- but maybe it didn't do so?

>>   Check out the Sounds control panel and see what MIDI devices are
>> listed.  Also, in the system control panel, it should, for an SB16
>> emulation, set up the MIDI port as an individual entry.

>>   If there is no device driver to use the external MIDI port, you
>> aren't going to get MIDI in or out to work.  Usually, the external
>> port is set up as both input and output, and should appear in both
>> panes.

>Thanks Jeffery.

>I checked the settings you pointed me to. There is no driver installed
>for C-Media game port and there is also no drivers installed for
>CMI8330/C3D Audio adapter. I have two other Audio drivers though:
>C-Media CM8330 and CM8330 SB16 that kept me happy with the sound
>signal output.

  Not all system devices require drivers.  If the Windows operating
system has them built in, no driver files are needed.  If some other
device handles the drivers, the same applies -- it may only show
drivers loaded for the other device (all part of the same card).

Quote:>Now,
>* does the sound card have anything to do with MIDI?

  For the external MIDI port, definitely.  There are some sound cards
which do not provide a MIDI port on the game adapter.

Quote:>* Do I have to worry about the sound driver at this point?

  No, the audio driver doesn't (or shouldn't) affect the MIDI port.

Quote:>* If I just configure the MIDI port with the appropriate driver will
>it resolve the essue of geting MIDI signal from my synth to Cakewalk?

  It should.  With a WDM driver card, I'd expect to see the external
MIDI port listed automatically if it has one.  It is possible there is
none, even though it has a game port.

  You can get a separate card for MIDI or use a USB MIDI adaptor if
the card has no MIDI port on it.
--

Post by Bori » Thu, 21 Mar 2002 06:17:40

> >>   There should be an external MIDI port device in the list -- SB16
> >> External MIDI or MPU-401 or something similar.  The SB16 Driver should
> >> set up the MIDI port -- but maybe it didn't do so?

> >>   Check out the Sounds control panel and see what MIDI devices are
> >> listed.  Also, in the system control panel, it should, for an SB16
> >> emulation, set up the MIDI port as an individual entry.

> >>   If there is no device driver to use the external MIDI port, you
> >> aren't going to get MIDI in or out to work.  Usually, the external
> >> port is set up as both input and output, and should appear in both
> >> panes.

> >Thanks Jeffery.

> >I checked the settings you pointed me to. There is no driver installed
> >for C-Media game port and there is also no drivers installed for
> >CMI8330/C3D Audio adapter. I have two other Audio drivers though:
> >C-Media CM8330 and CM8330 SB16 that kept me happy with the sound
> >signal output.

>   Not all system devices require drivers.  If the Windows operating
> system has them built in, no driver files are needed.  If some other
> device handles the drivers, the same applies -- it may only show
> drivers loaded for the other device (all part of the same card).

> >Now,
> >* does the sound card have anything to do with MIDI?

>   For the external MIDI port, definitely.  There are some sound cards
> which do not provide a MIDI port on the game adapter.

> >* Do I have to worry about the sound driver at this point?

>   No, the audio driver doesn't (or shouldn't) affect the MIDI port.

> >* If I just configure the MIDI port with the appropriate driver will
> >it resolve the essue of geting MIDI signal from my synth to Cakewalk?

>   It should.  With a WDM driver card, I'd expect to see the external
> MIDI port listed automatically if it has one.  It is possible there is
> none, even though it has a game port.

>   You can get a separate card for MIDI or use a USB MIDI adaptor if
> the card has no MIDI port on it.

Thanks a lot Jeffery. I will probably have more questions once I have
my hardware upgraded.
Boris.

Hooked up my keyboard but getting no signal

Post by Barry Graha » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 19:05:40

Big snip................

Don't want to seem *y but do you have to include the
We have to scroll through 3 or 4 pages of stuff we've
already read to get to your reply to see if it interests
us..

Quote:> Thanks a lot Jeffery. I will probably have more questions
once I have
> my hardware upgraded.
> Boris.

1. Anyone know MIDI really well - software hookup question, getting no signals

I'm using Win2K, a Soundblaster Live Value, a Creative Labs Midi
cable, and a Korg X5D.

I've installed the drivers for the devices involved, plus some
software (XEdit) that should recognize and communicate with the synth.

I've doublechecked the cabling and confirmed in to out (I do a lot fo
video work, so I believe I've got the in-->out thing down!).

However, when I open the panel in the software for communications, it
offers me multiple choices of Midi options... the Korg Midi, the
Korg's bank A midi, bank B midi, Soundblaster Midi... and no matter
which combination of these I choose, I get a message about the Midi
port being in use.

The result is no communication.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled software and hardware, and checked my
calbing again. Everything is physically correct as far as I can tell.
The unknown, for me, is the settings for "which midi port" to use, and
how to ensure that there's no conflict with something else putting a
stop to the whole thing.

Most of the web sites with Midi information I've checked out just seem
to remind you about in-->out and that it should work... well, I think
I need something more! Different software... what else can talk to the
Korg X5D?

I'd appreciate your input. I'm not sure where to turn next.

Thank you!

kirk

2. Problem with "Mailclnt" Causing Invalid Page Faults

3. trouble hooking keyboard to computer

4. Dial-Backup Questions...

5. Hooking up my Yamaha keyboard to my pc?

6. Disaster Recovery?

7. Hooking up keyboard to laptop

8. How to hook up computer to keyboard?

9. PC NOT RECEIVING MIDI SIGNAL FROM KEYBOARD

10. How do I hook up my midi keyboard to the computer?

11. How to hook up a midi keyboard with soundcard

12. How to hook up AWE32 card to midi keyboard?