Create wav from MIDI, again...

Post by Per Str?mgr » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 21:20:55

I have browsed Goggle to find an answer, but I hasn't although the
topic seem to well beaten. Here goes:

I want to do this:

1. Scan music score into MIDI (one voice only)
2. Create WAV from the MIDI file
3. Put the wav files on CD to be used when I practice playing (the
cello if you want to know) to help me with pitch and rythm

1. is managed beautyfully with Sharpeye (http://www.visiv.co.uk/)
3. is easy

But 2: I do not care HOW IT SOUNDS AS LONG AS IT GETS INTO WAV (*),
and I want the computer to do it in software. There seem to be all
sorts of fancy stuff to get it to sound good, BUT I DON'T CARE.  It
could sound as if somebody is playing on garbage cans, if that makes
to whole thing easier.

Can somebody please give me hint? I have tried a number of the free
programs out there but they all seem to need ".PRG" samples; not like
my MID:s (although the soundcard plays them happily); etc. I have read
the FAQ and tried various programs; my latest example being Midnight
Express, which says "Note bla-bla not included in any voice" or some
such.

(*) sorry about the shouting, I'm rather upset about not being to do
this, my low requirements notwithstanding.

Per Stromgren,
Karlstad,
Sweden

Remove ".obliterate" from e-mail address

Create wav from MIDI, again...

Post by Bryce Fische » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 23:11:35

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 12:20:55 GMT,

>I want to do this:

>2. Create WAV from the MIDI file
>But 2: I do not care HOW IT SOUNDS AS LONG AS IT GETS INTO WAV (*),
>and I want the computer to do it in software. There seem to be all
>sorts of fancy stuff to get it to sound good, BUT I DON'T CARE.  It
>could sound as if somebody is playing on garbage cans, if that makes
>to whole thing easier.

Here's the deal.... MIDI doesn't sound like anything. MIDI is a lot
like a score notation, it tells a MIDI Device to play a note, how
loud, etc (plus a bunch of other things, but thats not the point)...
It doesn't sound like anything..

So... To convert a WAV file into MIDI is very difficult. Assuming the
wav file represents a monophonic sound... Its still hard to determine
what the fundamental pitch is. There is software out there that does
this.... But results are mixed.

If the wav file represents polyphonic sounds, it becomes more
difficult. The software has to determine what the individual notes
are, which is difficult, especially if there are complex sounds with
lots of harmonics, etc...

Quote:>Can somebody please give me hint? I have tried a number of the free

--
Bryce

Me Fail English? That's Unpossible!
http://www.live365.com/stations/133523?play

Create wav from MIDI, again...

Post by Per Str?mgr » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 23:16:30

>So... To convert a WAV file into MIDI is very difficult.

Thanks, Bryce, but I said in the subject "create wav FROM midi",
not vice versa.

Quote:>Me Fail English? That's Unpossible!

Nah. :-)

Per.

Create wav from MIDI, again...

Post by Günter Nagle » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 00:07:42

> But 2: I do not care HOW IT SOUNDS AS LONG AS IT GETS INTO WAV (*),
> and I want the computer to do it in software. There seem to be all
> sorts of fancy stuff to get it to sound good, BUT I DON'T CARE.  It
> could sound as if somebody is playing on garbage cans, if that makes
> to whole thing easier.

you could record the line out of your midi device (e.g. soundcard, module,
keyboard) from line in of soundcard (connect both with audio cable). Most
soundards are delivered with a simple wav recorder (e.g. creative labs wav
studio, sound recorder ...). It won't sound awful (depends on your midi player,
but not like garbage cans) but you might notice hiss and crackling from
recording.

At http://www.hitsquad.com/smm you might find various midi renderer software
which convert midi to wav using a virtual soft synth.

Create wav from MIDI, again...

Post by eva2912u » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 23:47:57

Virtual Sound Canvas has a one button solution.  It converts any midi file
to audio/wav files.  takes about 10 seconds and works like a dream..
regards
PJ

--
to reply....take out noads

Quote:> I have browsed Goggle to find an answer, but I hasn't although the
> topic seem to well beaten. Here goes:

> I want to do this:

> 1. Scan music score into MIDI (one voice only)
> 2. Create WAV from the MIDI file
> 3. Put the wav files on CD to be used when I practice playing (the
> cello if you want to know) to help me with pitch and rythm

> 1. is managed beautyfully with Sharpeye (http://www.visiv.co.uk/)
> 3. is easy

> But 2: I do not care HOW IT SOUNDS AS LONG AS IT GETS INTO WAV (*),
> and I want the computer to do it in software. There seem to be all
> sorts of fancy stuff to get it to sound good, BUT I DON'T CARE.  It
> could sound as if somebody is playing on garbage cans, if that makes
> to whole thing easier.

> Can somebody please give me hint? I have tried a number of the free
> programs out there but they all seem to need ".PRG" samples; not like
> my MID:s (although the soundcard plays them happily); etc. I have read
> the FAQ and tried various programs; my latest example being Midnight
> Express, which says "Note bla-bla not included in any voice" or some
> such.

> (*) sorry about the shouting, I'm rather upset about not being to do
> this, my low requirements notwithstanding.

> Per Stromgren,
> Karlstad,
> Sweden

> Remove ".obliterate" from e-mail address

Create wav from MIDI, again...

Post by Bryce Fische » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 03:07:32

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:16:30 GMT,

>>So... To convert a WAV file into MIDI is very difficult.

>Thanks, Bryce, but I said in the subject "create wav FROM midi",
>not vice versa.

ooopss... Sorry...

--
Bryce

Me Fail English? That's Unpossible!
http://www.live365.com/stations/133523?play

Create wav from MIDI, again...

Post by Bryce Fische » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 03:10:26

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:16:30 GMT,

>>So... To convert a WAV file into MIDI is very difficult.

>Thanks, Bryce, but I said in the subject "create wav FROM midi",
>not vice versa.

Then there are several options...

Remember, my point that MIDI doesn't sound like anything, still holds
true. That means you need some kind of device to make the sound.
Before computers, this was outboard synths or other MIDI gear. Now, it
can be a software synthesizer.

If you have a Soundblaster Live, then you have the capability right
there. The SBLive has a Soundfont engine that can be used as a MIDI
device (actually, most soundcards have a MIDI device, but the SBLive
sounds pretty good).

You still need software to read the MIDI and play the appropriate
sounds... Any sequencer should work... Cubasis, etc...

--

Post by Sylvain Robitail » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 05:21:40

> 2. Create WAV from the MIDI file
> and I want the computer to do it in software.

You want Timidity++.  It is, in fact a "MIDI to WAVE converter/player".

http://www.goice.co.jp/member/mo/timidity/
I hope that helps...

Major in Electroacoustic Studies                  Concordia University
Faculty of Fine Arts / Music Department       Montreal, Quebec, Canada

Create wav from MIDI, again...

Post by Allen REN » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 15:59:37

A free and easy way to do things
if you have WinAmp.

You'll have to install a special WinAmp plugin
that you can find at

http://www.blorp.com/~peter/midihelp

There you also will find out how to use it.
The only problem in midi to wave
conversion is that it is done at speed X1,
and the general quality depends upon the
sound card.
--
Allen RENY
www.a-reny.com

Quote:> I have browsed Goggle to find an answer, but I hasn't although the
> topic seem to well beaten. Here goes:

> I want to do this:

> 1. Scan music score into MIDI (one voice only)
> 2. Create WAV from the MIDI file
> 3. Put the wav files on CD to be used when I practice playing (the
> cello if you want to know) to help me with pitch and rythm

> 1. is managed beautyfully with Sharpeye (http://www.visiv.co.uk/)
> 3. is easy

> But 2: I do not care HOW IT SOUNDS AS LONG AS IT GETS INTO WAV (*),
> and I want the computer to do it in software. There seem to be all
> sorts of fancy stuff to get it to sound good, BUT I DON'T CARE.  It
> could sound as if somebody is playing on garbage cans, if that makes
> to whole thing easier.

> Can somebody please give me hint? I have tried a number of the free
> programs out there but they all seem to need ".PRG" samples; not like
> my MID:s (although the soundcard plays them happily); etc. I have read
> the FAQ and tried various programs; my latest example being Midnight
> Express, which says "Note bla-bla not included in any voice" or some
> such.

> (*) sorry about the shouting, I'm rather upset about not being to do
> this, my low requirements notwithstanding.

> Per Stromgren,
> Karlstad,
> Sweden

> Remove ".obliterate" from e-mail address

Create wav from MIDI, again...

Post by Gare » Mon, 25 Mar 2002 19:34:08

Thu, 21 Mar 2002 12:20:55 GMT, that:

Quote:>I have browsed Goggle to find an answer, but I hasn't although the
>topic seem to well beaten. Here goes:

>I want to do this:

>1. Scan music score into MIDI (one voice only)
>2. Create WAV from the MIDI file
>3. Put the wav files on CD to be used when I practice playing (the
>cello if you want to know) to help me with pitch and rythm

>1. is managed beautyfully with Sharpeye (http://www.visiv.co.uk/)
>3. is easy

>But 2: I do not care HOW IT SOUNDS AS LONG AS IT GETS INTO WAV (*),
>and I want the computer to do it in software. There seem to be all
>sorts of fancy stuff to get it to sound good, BUT I DON'T CARE.  It
>could sound as if somebody is playing on garbage cans, if that makes
>to whole thing easier.

This isn't via software per se
but if you can play the midi files
and record a wave file
then using your soundcards' mixer utility
(what soundcard do you have BTW)
you should be able to
hit  REC on the wave ap,
play on the midi ap
and take it from there.

Quote:>Can somebody please give me hint? I have tried a number of the free
>programs out there but they all seem to need ".PRG" samples; not like
>my MID:s (although the soundcard plays them happily); etc. I have read
>the FAQ and tried various programs; my latest example being Midnight
>Express, which says "Note bla-bla not included in any voice" or some
>such.

>(*) sorry about the shouting, I'm rather upset about not being to do
>this, my low requirements notwithstanding.

My old system is a P90 with an AWE32
and the above method worked fine for me
using the generic software that came with the card.

best of luck, hope this helps.
Keep on Groovin'
gareth
http://www.backstage.co.za/gareth/

1. Midi to wav again

Randd01 a crit :

It can't be that simple, and it doesn't work.  Am I a complete moron or
what?  I have the same need too and I gotta admit I'm completely lost.
Is there any way at all for me to transform my midi in to wav?  The
obvious use for me is to get my midis into MP3 so people will hear the
song exactly the way it was meant to sound and not the way their crappy
sound card plays it.

But so far, it looks as though I either need to shell out for a piece of
software that will do this, or I need to be a computer wiz.  I'm broke,
and I'm no genius.  So, am I screwed or what?

Thanks

Simon

2. Procmail FAQ and Links pointer (pre-faq or pre-inf)

3. Wav->Midi again

4. Operator from Atlanta (was Re:Interesting 800 Number Response)

5. Creating a midi file from a wav file

6. Problem with old ST1239 drive

7. CD's created from your *.mid/*.wav/*.wrk files and audio tapes

8. DVD questions

9. CD's created from your *.mid/*.wrk/*.wav files

10. How create WAV from CAKEWALK PRO 5

11. midi to wav and wav to midi

12. Using a midi input to make a wav riff from a wav.

13. Midi Volume again