Finale 2002?

Finale 2002?

Post by MS » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 06:38:06



Just got an upgrade card to Finale 2002 for Windows. Anyone tried the
upgrade yet? It sometimes seems that Finale has upgrades too often, always
at a high price. How much is it improved? Really worth the upgrade price?

Do they give you a printed manual this time? It's fine to have online
manuals, but one should receive a printed one too. (Although I'm glad that
in recent years they consolidated it into one manual, rather than the
confusing several manuals they used to have.) But the 2001 version came with
no printed manual at all, which I consider cheap, especially considering
what they charge for the upgrade.

 
 
 

Finale 2002?

Post by Curtis Lanou » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 07:40:10



Quote:> Just got an upgrade card to Finale 2002 for Windows. Anyone tried the
> upgrade yet? It sometimes seems that Finale has upgrades too often, always
> at a high price. How much is it improved? Really worth the upgrade price?

Is there a reason you're PAYING for it?  Do you have an education position
where they check your computer?

As for the manual. . . . it would be nice if they give you a postcard you
can send in for a hard copy.  I don't look at the manual anyway.  Never did
minus 2 or 3 specific times.  You need to find someone who knows it too and
usually between the two of you you're cool.  A good friend of mine does
Finale engraving full time for a publisher. . . so imaginate tu. . . .

--Curtis
Free Music at:
www.mp3.com/CurtisLanoueYOrq

 
 
 

Finale 2002?

Post by MS » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 09:39:19





> > Just got an upgrade card to Finale 2002 for Windows. Anyone tried the
> > upgrade yet? It sometimes seems that Finale has upgrades too often,
always
> > at a high price. How much is it improved? Really worth the upgrade
price?

> Is there a reason you're PAYING for it?  Do you have an education position
> where they check your computer?

> As for the manual. . . . it would be nice if they give you a postcard you
> can send in for a hard copy.  I don't look at the manual anyway.  Never
did
> minus 2 or 3 specific times.  You need to find someone who knows it too
and
> usually between the two of you you're cool.  A good friend of mine does
> Finale engraving full time for a publisher. . . so imaginate tu. . . .

> --Curtis
> Free Music at:
> www.mp3.com/CurtisLanoueYOrq

I thought you were using Sibelius, Curtis. Switched to Finale? Do they give
you Finale at your job? Yes, I've always paid for it, and all my music
software.

Have you tried V. 2002 yet? I don't know if it's actually out yet, or just
the order cards.

 
 
 

Finale 2002?

Post by Dennis M. Reed » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 09:59:32





> > Just got an upgrade card to Finale 2002 for Windows. Anyone tried the
> > upgrade yet? It sometimes seems that Finale has upgrades too often,
always
> > at a high price. How much is it improved? Really worth the upgrade
price?

> Is there a reason you're PAYING for it?  Do you have an education position
> where they check your computer?

you mean finale 2002 is freeware? or do you advocate getting a pirated copy?
if the latter, do you also think it is OK to pirate music recordings? just
curious

--
Ach

Dennis M. Reed "Califa"

http://dmreed.com, my home page includes my musical autobiography which
contains anecdotes, audio recordings and photos of groups I have worked with
from the late 50s to the present (with 1960s recordings by pianist Carlos
Federico, 1970s photos of Celia Cruz and Pete Escovedo, and recent photos of
some of  my wife's now famous PR dinners with Larry Harlow, Yomo Toro,
etc. ), and  selected LP and CD recordings from my Latin music collection of
CDs, LPs, tapes, books, and instructional materials.
http://dmreed.com/RumbaRama.htm contains audio links to rumba recordings on
my site and to other links. http://dmreed.com/Santera-If-Yoruba.htm is a
new page in progress.  http://dmreed.com/US-Inter_Keyboard.htm contains
information about the US-International Keyboard (WINDOWS 95/98) and a large
printable keyboard image.

 
 
 

Finale 2002?

Post by Curtis Lanou » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 22:37:50


Quote:> I thought you were using Sibelius, Curtis. Switched to Finale? Do they
give
> you Finale at your job? Yes, I've always paid for it, and all my music
> software.

No I've never used Sibelius.  I used Encore until the summer of '99 and it's
been Finale ever since.  At this point I don't do enough "professional" work
to justify buying an original.  But in a year or two when I upgrade my
studio and plan on doing more of that I also plan on purchasing at LEAST an
original of DP and Peak etc.  Finale is just too easy to get for free!

Quote:> Have you tried V. 2002 yet? I don't know if it's actually out yet, or just
> the order cards.

No I haven't.  Email me and I'll forward it to my friend who works with it
24/7.

--Curtis
Free Music at:
www.mp3.com/CurtisLanoueYOrq

 
 
 

Finale 2002?

Post by Curtis Lanou » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 22:38:53


Quote:> you mean finale 2002 is freeware? or do you advocate getting a pirated
copy?
> if the latter, do you also think it is OK to pirate music recordings? just
> curious

I mean getting a copy of it.  I reserve the term "pirated" for a company
making money off of selling illegal copies.  I never make any money now does
whoever it is I get it from.  Now if you can find out that the software
developers get residuals on sales of Finale 2002 I may change my view, but
as of right now I have no conscience about screwing multimillion dollar
companies.

--Curtis
Free Music at:
www.mp3.com/CurtisLanoueYOrq

 
 
 

Finale 2002?

Post by MS » Mon, 27 Aug 2001 23:29:55



  Now if you can find out that the software

Quote:> developers get residuals on sales of Finale 2002 I may change my view, but
> as of right now I have no conscience about screwing multimillion dollar
> companies.

Well, I would doubt that any music software company, including Coda Music,
is a multi million dollar company. There are probably only a few multi
million dollar software companies, such as Microsoft. I doubt any company
that specializes in music programs belongs in that category.

Many software companies have gone under in the last year or two.

And yes, I would suspect that the creators of Finale get residuals from its
sales. In fact, they quite likely are the owners of the company, unless they
sold it to someone else. That's often the case with small software
companies--for instance--"Band in a Box", created by Peter Gannon, is sold
by him as "PG Music". The developers ARE often the company owners, not owned
by multimillion dollar conglomerates.

Yet, I do get pissed off  sometimes at the frequent and expensive "upgrades"
software companies often put out to make more money, often not really an
improvement. And if one buys software, and there are "bugs" and problems
with it, and a later version fixes some of those problems, should one really
have to pay more later to get a version free of that problem, when the
problem shouldn't have been there in the first place?

 
 
 

1. Assistance with Finale 2002 problem - playback not working

Hi

I have Finale 2002 with a 4-score piece (piano, bass , guitar lead etc). I
have it set up to play back my Roland JV 1010 (in a multitrack setup), and
so far all has been well.

However, now when I press 'play', I get a message on the status bar saying
'Processing Measure XXX', where XXX is quickly changing list of measure
numbers.

So, somewhere along the line, something I have done has forced it to be
unplayable, but I don't know what. Any ideas?

Thanks
Paul

2. parallel pin access

3. finale 2002 - propellerhead reason - hubi

4. New Book - An Introduction to NURBS

5. Finale 2002 or Sibelius 2????

6. POPL '96 registration

7. Finale 2002 entry - editing notes after entry

8. Detect datagrid cell value change?

9. Qestion on Finale 2002: hearing your midi keyboard play your Soundblaster while recording

10. Finale 2002 question: align midi playback with notation

11. Finale 2002 Query

12. Coda Finale 2002 for Win9x/NT $210

13. Drum Looping in Home Studio 2002 XL