HELP! ATARI Cubase -> PC Cubase

Post by Anders Persso » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Hi all you MIDIots out there!

I have an old Atari Mega ST, on which I run Cubase 3.?.

I am now planning to buy PC and run Cubase Audio or something similar.

Is there a way to move my old ATARI songs into the PC without having to
play the songs(about 50 of them...) on the ATARI and record the MIDI
data on the PC?

Please help, I will be eternally grateful!

Anders

HELP! ATARI Cubase -> PC Cubase

Post by Paul Nag » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

>Is there a way to move my old ATARI songs into the PC without having to

A familiar question. Depending on versions, save your ST songs as .arr
files to be sure. As for reading them on the PC, the PC (Win95) can
read ST floppies directly so it just works.
Paul

         http://www.softroom.demon.co.uk (Upd. 26/03/97)

HELP! ATARI Cubase -> PC Cubase

Post by floo » Tue, 08 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Nagle) spaketh thus:

Quote:>>Is there a way to move my old ATARI songs into the PC without having to
>A familiar question. Depending on versions, save your ST songs as .arr
>files to be sure. As for reading them on the PC, the PC (Win95) can
>read ST floppies directly so it just works.

Can Win95 read ST discs? AIUI only some versions of TOS format a disc
so that a PC can read it.

Why not format a 720K disc on the PC and then save the song stuff onto
that, either as an *.ARR file (obviously depends on the compatibility
bew* the different platform software) or as *.MID file preferably
File format 2 (I think that's the one that keeps all the data in the
right place).

flook
 ____ _    ____ ____ _  _
 |___ |    |  | |  | |_/   http://www.veryComputer.com/~flook
 |    |___ |__| |__| | \_  http://www.veryComputer.com/~flook/INDEX.HTM

If love is blind, lingerie is great braille.

HELP! ATARI Cubase -> PC Cubase

Post by Richard P. Hans » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

tapped out the following on the keyboard attached to their plastic box
with a TV, and came up with the following:

>Nagle) spaketh thus:

>>>Is there a way to move my old ATARI songs into the PC without having to
>>A familiar question. Depending on versions, save your ST songs as .arr
>>files to be sure. As for reading them on the PC, the PC (Win95) can
>>read ST floppies directly so it just works.

>Can Win95 read ST discs? AIUI only some versions of TOS format a disc
>so that a PC can read it.

This only applies to earlier versions of MSDOS and Windows - Windows
95 is 'clever' enough to read old ST disks - trust me, I've had to do
it myself!

Quote:>Why not format a 720K disc on the PC and then save the song stuff onto
>that, either as an *.ARR file (obviously depends on the compatibility
>bew* the different platform software) or as *.MID file preferably
>File format 2 (I think that's the one that keeps all the data in the
>right place).

This would definately be the better way if going to a PC with
something earlier than '95 or NT4.

HELP! ATARI Cubase -> PC Cubase

Post by Jon A. Cru » Wed, 09 Apr 1997 04:00:00

Here's what I know. The early TOS used the same formatting of disks as
DOS _except_ it did not write the 8080 code in the boot sector. Some
PC's can read those no problems, some can't. Just get the boot sector on
the disks (either by a utility on the ST, or by formatting the disk in a
PC) and you're set. Also, they only had single-density 3 1/4" at first
(720k).

<rant>
In my experience, the only PC that couldn't read ST disks were the
Zenith PC compatibles (that weren't. They were so bad, they needed
special versions of windows 2.0 tweaked just for them).
</rant>