syncing MIDI tempo to external reference

syncing MIDI tempo to external reference

Post by Grant W. Pet » Fri, 26 Apr 1996 04:00:00

I recently tried sequencing some instrument parts by playing my
keyboard controller along with a CD recording.  It turned out to be
impractical because I was unable to get the tempo of the sequencer to
stay exactly matched to the tempo of the recording, so the notes I
played drifted out of phase with respect to the bars of the MIDI
sequence.  This was especially problematic when there were tempo
changes within the recording.

My question: Are there sequencer programs that allow one to record a
melody line in real time at an arbitrary tempo (i.e., ignoring the
sequencer metronome) and then manually stretch or compress the entire
track, or portions of a track, so as to re-establish the correct
relationship between notes, beats, and measures in the final sequence?
Alternatively, is there a mechanism for leaving the speed of the
recorded melody alone but telling the sequencer after the fact (e.g.,
by hitting a key in time as the melody plays back) where the beats in
each measure fall?  Seems like it ought to be an easy and obvious
feature to implement, but I've never found anything like it in either
PowerTracks Pro or Freestyle.

Just wondering...

--

Assoc. Prof. of Atmospheric Science
Dept. of Earth & Atmospheric Sciences                 (317) 494-2544

syncing MIDI tempo to external reference

Post by jgl.. » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> Are there sequencer programs that allow one to record a
> melody line in real time at an arbitrary tempo (i.e., ignoring the
> sequencer metronome) and then manually stretch or compress the entire
> track, or portions of a track, so as to re-establish the correct
> relationship between notes, beats, and measures in the final sequence?

This question was asked in this conference, and someone reported that CakeWalk
has a feature which does this. I haven't verified that this in fact works, so
I can't give you any guarantee that the info is accurate. (If I had tested it
for myself, then it would be accurate info because I'm always right and I never
lie. That's an obscure comedic reference). Here's what this person said:

When you do the free-tempo stuff with Cakewalk, (i am at work and can't
remember the right name for the menu item, sorry) the correction in time is
caused by added little tiny tempo changes everywhere. The tempi changes are
placed in separate window. So you'd:
 -- record rubato part
 -- do the tempo fill stuff to make the time square
 -- add your other tracks

In Cakewalk Pro 3 The menu item is Edit > Fit > Improvisation . I haven't
used it before, but now I know it's there I'm going to have to start
experimenting.

syncing MIDI tempo to external reference

Post by Metalh » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Quote:

>My question: Are there sequencer programs that allow one to record a
>melody line in real time at an arbitrary tempo (i.e., ignoring the
>sequencer metronome) and then manually stretch or compress the entire
>track, or portions of a track, so as to re-establish the correct
>relationship between notes, beats, and measures in the final sequence?
>Alternatively, is there a mechanism for leaving the speed of the
>recorded melody alone but telling the sequencer after the fact (e.g.,
>by hitting a key in time as the melody plays back) where the beats in
>each measure fall?  Seems like it ought to be an easy and obvious
>feature to implement, but I've never found anything like it in either
>PowerTracks Pro or Freestyle.

Well, Cakewalk has a *quantize* function which puts all notes exactly
on the nearest quarter note, six*th note etc. This has the effect
of tyding up any loose notes. Is this what you're getting at?

Metalhed

syncing MIDI tempo to external reference

Post by Richard Paul Hanso » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

Cubase has a device of following the tempo of what is being played in,
provided you set the initial tempo to be the same as what you are about to
play. It stores the tempo map, which you can delete or disable. It is
possible to do what you ask, but I have always found it a bit of a pain in
the arse to get right!

Rich

 R. P. Hanson, Software Engineer and part time musician
 GEC Marconi Avionics Limited, Airport Works, Rochester, Kent, ENGLAND
 http://www.lookup.com/Homepages/78185/home.html

syncing MIDI tempo to external reference

Post by Haldane S. Hen » Sat, 27 Apr 1996 04:00:00

<snip, snip>

>My question: Are there sequencer programs that allow one to record a
>melody line in real time at an arbitrary tempo (i.e., ignoring the
>sequencer metronome) and then manually stretch or compress the entire
>track, or portions of a track, so as to re-establish the correct
>relationship between notes, beats, and measures in the final sequence?

<snip, msnip>
>--

Opcodes Vision 3.0 will do this for you.  There's a demo available at
http://www.opcode.com/.
--
Haldane S. Henry