file transfer between Unix(Linux) and digital piano

file transfer between Unix(Linux) and digital piano

Post by me » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 12:55:04

hi all

how would one go about transfering files between a Linux box with Yamaha
S80 digital piano connected via "to-host" serial cable ?

The S80 has some files on the smartcard which I would like to backup
under Linux. What's needed for this ? Can I somehow use a "midi dump"
mechanism, or is a special sysex needed ?

Idealy, this would be a perl program, but at this point I'll take
anything that will work with linux

thanks
john

Post by Sylvain Robitail » Sun, 24 Mar 2002 14:08:32

> how would one go about transfering files between a Linux box with Yamaha
> S80 digital piano connected via "to-host" serial cable ?

You might be able to just use "cat /dev/ttyS0 > /path/to/file" and
"cat /path/to/file > /dev/ttyS0"  to send the files back and forth.  I
know some folks are doing that with /dev/midi00 and MIDI SYSEX data for
various gear...

I hope that helps...

Major in Electroacoustic Studies                  Concordia University
Faculty of Fine Arts / Music Department       Montreal, Quebec, Canada