Koan Pro 2

Post by Mark Coyl » Fri, 25 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Koan Pro 2 is every bit as good as they promise.  If you work at it, the =
results can be incredible.  To be honest, Philip Glass should really =
worry (only joking).  Anyway, I would encourage people to support the =
software, the future of generative music is in your hands.

Koan Pro 2

Post by Bill Willia » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>uhhh .... what's the URL again?

http://www.sseyo.com

Billy
Liam Mac Liam Music
Barreiro, Portugal

Koan Pro 2

Post by Phi » Sat, 26 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>Koan Pro 2 is every bit as good as they promise.  If you work at it, the results can be incredible.  To be honest, Philip Glass should really worry (only joking).  Anyway, I would encourage people to support the software, the future of generative music is in your hands.

I agree - it's fantastic. I'm not a musician, yet I can produce quite
incredible results!

- Phil -

Koan Pro 2

Post by Petra » Tue, 29 Jul 1997 04:00:00

I was bored with music and repetative Midi stuff - until I found Koan Pro.
Now I write repetative generative music , which never sounds the same twice
- if you see what I mean - duh, my brain hurts :).

Koan Pro 2 is every bit as good as they promise.  If you work at it, the
results can be incredible.  To be honest, Philip Glass should really worry
(only joking).  Anyway, I would encourage people to support the software,
the future of generative music is in your hands.

----------

Koan Pro 2

Post by Richard Garre » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>>Koan Pro 2 is every bit as good as they promise.  If you work at it, the results can be incredible.  To be honest, Philip Glass should really worry (only joking).  Anyway, I would encourage people to support the software, the future of generative music is in your hands.

>I agree - it's fantastic. I'm not a musician, yet I can produce quite
>incredible results!

Stop being so bashful!

If you can produce incredible results (which could be construed as
"music" -whatever that is), then you are not only a "musician" but
also a "composer".  Stick some pieces on your demon homepages (if you
haven't already) and you will be a "published composer".

so stick that in your c.v. (resume) and defy anyone to tell you
different!! :-)

I don't know, if i had five english pounds for everyone i've met who
makes music but says they're "not a musician", i'd have, oh... well...
at least five pounds anyway (mutter mutter...

PLEASE NOTE: the irony light has been on for the entire duration of
this message- the author intends only encouragement to anyone who
happens to "relate" to it's content.

best wishes

Richard

http://www.stonygap.demon.co.uk/

Koan Pro 2

Post by Vagif Abil » Thu, 31 Jul 1997 04:00:00

>I was bored with music and repetative Midi stuff - until I found Koan Pro.
>Now I write repetative generative music , which never sounds the same twice
>- if you see what I mean - duh, my brain hurts :).

I read more and more of impressive opinions about Koan, and I am
getting a little confused: what is it actually about? I visited SSEYO
home page, but still can not understand: can it replace a sequencer?
If not then can it coexist (and cooperate) with Cubase, Cakewalk etc?
It it is intended to be used by non-professionals (does not require to
learn notes etc.) then can you really make professional music using
Koan?

Can somebody explain this?

Thanks

Vagif Abilov

Koan Pro 2

Post by David Gosnel » Fri, 01 Aug 1997 04:00:00

> It it is intended to be used by non-professionals (does not require to
> learn notes etc.) then can you really make professional music using
> Koan?

Brian Eno (and others) have released some excellent - and I don't even
like most of Eno's work! - commercial material using it.  I think that
counts as professional...  Because of the organic and continually
varying nature of the music produced by the Koan system, most people are
opting for more imaginative distribution methods than just cutting a CD,
but perhaps the time is now for a more generally-applicable and radical
new perspective on what makes commercial/professional music what it is -
to get away from the concept of the music being the physical
CD/LP/cassette itself, or the specific recording thereon, but being
something altogether more abstract and far more closely related to the
spontaneous creativity of the composer and his/her tools.

--
David Gosnell
These personal views are not necessarily those of my employer.

Koan Pro 2

Post by Richard Garre » Fri, 01 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>I read more and more of impressive opinions about Koan, and I am
>getting a little confused: what is it actually about? I visited SSEYO
>home page, but still can not understand: can it replace a sequencer?
>If not then can it coexist (and cooperate) with Cubase, Cakewalk etc?
>It it is intended to be used by non-professionals (does not require to
>learn notes etc.) then can you really make professional music using
>Koan?

>Can somebody explain this?

>Thanks

>Vagif Abilov

hiya,

If you post a message like that in comp.music.midi, it's likely that,
before too long, Tim or Pete will turn up from SSEYO to give you a
full and enthusiastic explanation of Koan music from their own
"unique" perspective. However, as they don't seem to have got here yet
and I seem to be in a writing mood, I think I'll have a go at
answering your questions from a "user's" point of view.

Here goes...

Quote:>what is it actually about?

Let's start by talking about what MIDI sequencers do and then I can
explain koan music.

Sequencers use analogies like tape recorders, piano rolls, standard
music notation and so on to create MIDI files (more or less). A MIDI
file is a sequence of *timed* instructions to a number of devices/
channels. Using these instructions, you can tell a given MIDI
instrument to play a note of specific pitch, duration, and intensity
starting at a particular time. Because MIDI supports multiple
channels, you can write instructions to several instruments at
(apparently) the same time to produce complex compositions. You can
also transmit other timed instructions to control patch, reverb, pan,
legato etc. etc.

Koan music is not like that.

Whereas MIDI sequencers define musical events within a "time domain",
Koan Pro defines most such events as *probabilities*. Like MIDI, a
koan file describes the behaviour of a number of instruments but,
whereas a sequencer "track"  contains  a sequence of notes for a
particular instrument, a koan "voice" contains a number of "rules" by
which the instrument can generate notes when the file is played.

These rules can govern:

* range of pitches and the scale available to a given instrument;
* range of durations available (note-values, seconds, 1/1000 secs);

* size of step allowed between subsequent notes (semitones);
* number of notes to played in each generated phrase;
* length of rest between phrases;
* interval between random patch changes from a list; and
* a whole bunch of other things, many of which are specific to AWE/
  EMU soundcards that I don't have.

In addition, Koan has:

* envelopes which control the volume, velocity and pan for each voice;
* "follow", "repeat bar", "chordal" and "listening" voice types which
   respond to notes generated by other voices or external instruments;
* "fixed pattern" voices which allow fairly short repeating rhythmic
   and/or melodic patterns (including polyrythyms) to be generated
   when the file is played.

...and a whole bunch of other stuff.

When you play a koan file, all these rules are passed to an engine
which then "generates" a piece of music (MIDI output) at random BUT
*within the constraints* you have defined. Depending on how tight
those constraints are, the music may sound radically different each
time it is played.

Basically, whereas sequencers are an extension of "written" music;
koan music is a computer version of the "systems music" approach.

Quote:>can it replace a sequencer?

Yes and No

Koan Pro is not a sequencer. It is a program for "generating" music as
opposed to "notating" or "recording" it. Therefore, if you want a
program for writing complex orchestral music with a place for every
note and every note in its place, then this is not the one for you.
However, if you "paint with a broader brush" and are less concerned
with specific note-values than with combining musical "textures", then
Koan, IMO, is much more useful than a conventional sequencer. Hence
its obvious appeal to "ambient" musicians of all ages, and to those
dance musicians who like semi-random weird noises popping out of "the
big drum beat" (ONE, ONE, ONE, ONE...).

Suprisingly, if you choose your rules carefully, you can get some very
interesting "pastiches" of more conventional styles as well. Check out
some of my pieces on http://www.stonygap.demon.co.uk/ for examples of
this.

Koan has a further advantage over MIDI in that the encoded files it
generates are usually very small and General MIDI versions can easily
be downloaded from the Internet by anyone with koan player software
(koan web, plugins etc.) and an appropriate PC soundcard.

Quote:>can it coexist (and cooperate) with Cubase, Cakewalk etc?

Yes.

Since Koan can output MIDI (signals and/or files), anything you
generate can be passed into a sequencer and edited or added to in the
usual way.

Quote:>It it is intended to be used by non-professionals (does not require to
>learn notes etc.) then can you really make professional music using
>Koan?

I really don't like that word "professional".

Loads of people write music. Many composers can't read music, some
can't even play an instrument yet some of these get paid a lot of
money for writing stuff (and are therefore "professionals") - though
much of what they write is instantly disposable. Loads of composers
who can read music or play instruments beautifully, ALSO write utter
rubbish and get paid for it!! They, too, are professionals. Some
"amateurs" (doing it for love) write beautiful and complex music which
never gets heard outside their spare bedroom. So, enough with the
"professional" already!!

If you want to know whether you can write "serious" music on Koan Pro
then, i think the answer is:

Yes, I can.

You don't have to know how to write music but each koan voice has
dozens of parameters and, IMO, though you can turn out interesting
music from the start with no theoretical musical ability, the more
understanding you have of scales, harmony, MIDI specs and so on, and
the more time you take to learn the complexities of the program, the
better the music becomes.

I hope this message has been of some use.

best wishes

Richard

**********COPYRIGHT***********************

Given the length and detail of this reply, I would like to reserve
copyright on this article. If you wish to republish it, in whole or in
part, in any form outside of the comp.music.midi newsgroup or its
archives, please contact me first.

Post by Vagif Abil » Mon, 04 Aug 1997 04:00:00

>If you post a message like that in comp.music.midi, it's likely that,
>before too long, Tim or Pete will turn up from SSEYO to give you a
>full and enthusiastic explanation of Koan music from their own
>"unique" perspective. However, as they don't seem to have got here yet
>and I seem to be in a writing mood, I think I'll have a go at
>answering your questions from a "user's" point of view.

>Here goes...

(lines removed)

Richard,

Thank you very much for your explanation. I think I understand now
what Koan can be used for and I am definetely looking forward to try
it out.

Thanks again.

Vagif Abilov
Object Factory
Oslo Norway

1. SSEYO Koan Pro now available for the Power Mac !

Generative Koan music system now on the Power Mac
:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
SSEYO responds to high level of Power Mac user requests

MAIDENHEAD, UK (October 1, 1998) -- SSEYO? Ltd., creators of the
market leading generative Koan? music system for real and unreal worlds
today launched its flagship Koan authoring system, Koan Pro 2.1, for the
Power Mac. A Koan Mac plugin is set to follow shortly. It is SSEYO's
next major step in its strategy to deliver a cross platform, cross
browser generative music system. The generative Koan music system is
ideal for creating interactive sound environments, be these on the net
or in toys, installations or hyper-instruments. Koan is also a powerful
music creativity system.

SSEYO Koan Pro 2.1 for the Power Mac is today available for sale through
the SSEYO online store, priced the same as the Windows version at GBP
139.95. It is available in electronic form only. A demo version is also
available for free download from http://www.sseyo.com/browser.html.

Brian Eno used Koan Pro to create his pioneering release "Generative
Music 1" and SSEYO Koan Pro 2 was recently selected by the UK Millennium
Products initiative as being one of 200 "brilliant British creations".

Koan Pro 2.1 for Power Mac System recommendations:
Power Mac with MacOS 7 or later (MacOS 7.5 or later recommended), 5 Mb
of free memory in which to run, OMS Lite from Opcode systems
(http://www.opcode.com), external synthesizer or Apple's Quick Time
Musical Instruments (QTMI).

For installation:  Aladdin Systems' StuffIt expander
(http://www.aladdinsys.com)

For online manual: Adobe Acrobat reader (http://www.adobe.com)

                             # # # #

SSEYO, Koan and the SSEYO logo are either registered trademarks or
trademarks of SSEYO Ltd. in the UK and/or other countries. Other
products mentioned may be trademarks or registered trademarks of their
respective companies and are the sole property of their respective
manufacturers. Specifications subject to change. E&OE.

Full HTML Press release:        http://www.sseyo.com/pr011098.html
Koan Pro 2.1 for Power Mac:     http://www.sseyo.com/kprobroc.html
Software download page:         http://www.sseyo.com/browser.html
SSEYO Online store:             http://www.sseyo.com/sseyo_in.html
Copyright (c) 1998 SSEYO Ltd. All rights reserved.

2. Roland MC-50 Standard MIDI File Converter (MRM-500)

3. Koan Pro 2 users

4. VxVMI and who is using this package? - vxvmireq.mai (1/1)

5. Koan Pro on Macintosh

6. Pascal Interpreter using Lex and Yacc

7. Koan Pro support for non GM devices

8. Koan Pro 2 & XG

9. KOAN: Pro 2 piece on display

10. Is there a Koan Pro expert who can speak German here?

11. Koan Pro upgrade, I'm curious

12. Help - Koan Pro freezing