Serious MIDI problem needs to be solved..

Serious MIDI problem needs to be solved..

Post by JF » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 14:38:26

Hi All!
After many years of experience with MIDI, I have encountered a very strange
problem that I admit has stumped me this time.. I would be pleased to hear
your collective advice if you can think of anything..
I am using a new ECS laptop with a VIA Samual 2 CPU clocked at 667 Mhz (not
a very standard CPU as any of you computer mavens can tell..)
The sound card is a SIS onboard which is fully sound blaster compatible.
RAM is 128 MB
I am running Cakewalk 4 and Cakewalk 9.
In both cases, I have encountered the same problem - The sequencer tempo
fluctuates (not on the screen, it can only be heard).
This occurs while recording and playing back. Even the internal recording
metronome is off and sounds like it's drunk.
I know it has nothing to do with any external gear because It happens while
using the internal clock as well. Moreover, my RAM and CPU resources seem to
be low.
Just out of curiosity, I set my external synth to synch to my computer's
clock and I noticed the synth's tempo meter fluctating out of whack!!
Is my CPU 's clock unstable? is it my sound card?
I have never seen anything like this before... have any of you????
HELP PLEASE IF YOU CAN!!

Thanks in advance,

JF.

Post by J. H. Brow » Fri, 08 Mar 2002 17:11:32

> I am using a new ECS laptop with a VIA Samual 2 CPU clocked at 667 Mhz (not
> a very standard CPU as any of you computer mavens can tell..)
> The sound card is a SIS onboard which is fully sound blaster compatible.
> RAM is 128 MB
> I am running Cakewalk 4 and Cakewalk 9.
> In both cases, I have encountered the same problem - The sequencer tempo
> fluctuates (not on the screen, it can only be heard).
> This occurs while recording and playing back. Even the internal recording
> metronome is off and sounds like it's drunk.
> I know it has nothing to do with any external gear because It happens while
> using the internal clock as well. Moreover, my RAM and CPU resources seem to
> be low.
> Just out of curiosity, I set my external synth to synch to my computer's
> clock and I noticed the synth's tempo meter fluctating out of whack!!
> Is my CPU 's clock unstable? is it my sound card?

It's not *fully* SB compatible.  The old SB used it's own crystal.  Your
midi uses software emulation.  There's nothing wrong with that, except
it is dependent on your computer's clock.

Many of the fast new machines intentionally vary the system frequency up
and down using different random algorithms to deliberately spread out
any RF emissions so the machines will pass FCC requirements which
measure RFI at a specific frequency.  The more the frequency spread, the
less the measured RF interference.

Possibly this is what you are hearing.  There may be a way to switch it
off.

Serious MIDI problem needs to be solved..

Post by Serge Stodolni » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 00:15:44

Look at your CPU/HDD meter in Cake 9.xx.
If it shows load peaks corresponding to tempo
changes, it is dropouts due to CPU or HDD not
keeping up. (May be something else is running
in the background.).

And the best to go to any Cakewalk NGs to find out
the answer.

--
Please check out Production Music at:
http://www.veryComputer.com/

Quote:> Hi All!
> After many years of experience with MIDI, I have encountered a very strange
> problem that I admit has stumped me this time.. I would be pleased to hear
> your collective advice if you can think of anything..
> I am using a new ECS laptop with a VIA Samual 2 CPU clocked at 667 Mhz (not
> a very standard CPU as any of you computer mavens can tell..)
> The sound card is a SIS onboard which is fully sound blaster compatible.
> RAM is 128 MB
> I am running Cakewalk 4 and Cakewalk 9.
> In both cases, I have encountered the same problem - The sequencer tempo
> fluctuates (not on the screen, it can only be heard).
> This occurs while recording and playing back. Even the internal recording
> metronome is off and sounds like it's drunk.
> I know it has nothing to do with any external gear because It happens while
> using the internal clock as well. Moreover, my RAM and CPU resources seem to
> be low.
> Just out of curiosity, I set my external synth to synch to my computer's
> clock and I noticed the synth's tempo meter fluctating out of whack!!
> Is my CPU 's clock unstable? is it my sound card?
> I have never seen anything like this before... have any of you????
> HELP PLEASE IF YOU CAN!!

> Thanks in advance,

> JF.

Serious MIDI problem needs to be solved..

Post by Ray Armstron » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 00:00:51

Get a midi sport USB interface

--

Kindest personal regards
Ray The Travellin' Man

> Look at your CPU/HDD meter in Cake 9.xx.
> If it shows load peaks corresponding to tempo
> changes, it is dropouts due to CPU or HDD not
> keeping up. (May be something else is running
> in the background.).

> And the best to go to any Cakewalk NGs to find out
> the answer.

> --
> Please check out Production Music at:
> http://www.veryComputer.com/
> http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Film/adverti*t/production libraries/multimedia/web sites.........
> Serge Stodolnik.   Tel: 214-324-9942. voice/fax.
>                    http://www.veryComputer.com/

> > Hi All!
> > After many years of experience with MIDI, I have encountered a very
strange
> > problem that I admit has stumped me this time.. I would be pleased to
hear
> > your collective advice if you can think of anything..
> > I am using a new ECS laptop with a VIA Samual 2 CPU clocked at 667 Mhz
(not
> > a very standard CPU as any of you computer mavens can tell..)
> > The sound card is a SIS onboard which is fully sound blaster compatible.
> > RAM is 128 MB
> > I am running Cakewalk 4 and Cakewalk 9.
> > In both cases, I have encountered the same problem - The sequencer tempo
> > fluctuates (not on the screen, it can only be heard).
> > This occurs while recording and playing back. Even the internal
recording
> > metronome is off and sounds like it's drunk.
> > I know it has nothing to do with any external gear because It happens
while
> > using the internal clock as well. Moreover, my RAM and CPU resources
seem to
> > be low.
> > Just out of curiosity, I set my external synth to synch to my computer's
> > clock and I noticed the synth's tempo meter fluctating out of whack!!
> > Is my CPU 's clock unstable? is it my sound card?
> > I have never seen anything like this before... have any of you????
> > HELP PLEASE IF YOU CAN!!

> > Thanks in advance,

> > JF.

Serious MIDI problem needs to be solved..

Post by eva2912u » Fri, 22 Mar 2002 18:41:04

Why Ray?   what's good about it.
REgards
PJ

--
to reply....take out noads

> Get a midi sport USB interface

> --

> Kindest personal regards
> Ray The Travellin' Man
> LET'S KEEP MUSIC LIVE!!

> > Look at your CPU/HDD meter in Cake 9.xx.
> > If it shows load peaks corresponding to tempo
> > changes, it is dropouts due to CPU or HDD not
> > keeping up. (May be something else is running
> > in the background.).

> > And the best to go to any Cakewalk NGs to find out
> > the answer.

> > --
> > Please check out Production Music at:
> > http://www.veryComputer.com/
> > http://www.veryComputer.com/
> > Film/adverti*t/production libraries/multimedia/web sites.........
> > Serge Stodolnik.   Tel: 214-324-9942. voice/fax.
> >                    http://www.veryComputer.com/

Serious MIDI problem needs to be solved..

Post by William Bake » Sat, 23 Mar 2002 10:21:56

I would be very interested to know the answer to this, as I have a similar
situation but using different software on an older machine - by the way have
you tried the group -cakewalk.audio?

> Look at your CPU/HDD meter in Cake 9.xx.
> If it shows load peaks corresponding to tempo
> changes, it is dropouts due to CPU or HDD not
> keeping up. (May be something else is running
> in the background.).

> And the best to go to any Cakewalk NGs to find out
> the answer.

> --
> Please check out Production Music at:
> http://www.veryComputer.com/
> http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Film/adverti*t/production libraries/multimedia/web sites.........
> Serge Stodolnik.   Tel: 214-324-9942. voice/fax.
>                    http://www.veryComputer.com/

> > Hi All!
> > After many years of experience with MIDI, I have encountered a very
strange
> > problem that I admit has stumped me this time.. I would be pleased to
hear
> > your collective advice if you can think of anything..
> > I am using a new ECS laptop with a VIA Samual 2 CPU clocked at 667 Mhz
(not
> > a very standard CPU as any of you computer mavens can tell..)
> > The sound card is a SIS onboard which is fully sound blaster compatible.
> > RAM is 128 MB
> > I am running Cakewalk 4 and Cakewalk 9.
> > In both cases, I have encountered the same problem - The sequencer tempo
> > fluctuates (not on the screen, it can only be heard).
> > This occurs while recording and playing back. Even the internal
recording
> > metronome is off and sounds like it's drunk.
> > I know it has nothing to do with any external gear because It happens
while
> > using the internal clock as well. Moreover, my RAM and CPU resources
seem to
> > be low.
> > Just out of curiosity, I set my external synth to synch to my computer's
> > clock and I noticed the synth's tempo meter fluctating out of whack!!
> > Is my CPU 's clock unstable? is it my sound card?
> > I have never seen anything like this before... have any of you????
> > HELP PLEASE IF YOU CAN!!

> > Thanks in advance,

> > JF.

1. I need serious midi help!!

Hi.  I am a IBM PC user with Windows 3.1 and I have a bad problem with my MIDI
system. Here's the problem:   I don't have a MIDI setup (sequencer) directory
in my control panel, nor can I hear any sound. This is because I do not have my
MIDI sequencer set up correctly.  I have the MIDI driver installed, but just
not a setup program. If anyone understands my problem at all, I would
appreciate help from any expert computer user. Thanks.

2. Followups

3. I am what I am: Midi request

4. no matching view

5. How to solve a lot of MIDI problems

6. Help with Win 95 Frodo !

7. MIDI Export problem solved !!!

8. NTFS

9. Serious AWE64 problems

10. SERIOUS PROBLEM.. Please Help

11. my problem = solved

12. Logic Audio and Power Mac 7200 problem NOT solved

13. Cakewalk 4.0 - HELP ME solving audio synchronization problems