YES MIDI --- YES MIDI --- YES MIDI --- YES MIDI

YES MIDI --- YES MIDI --- YES MIDI --- YES MIDI

Post by G. Kapteijn » Wed, 25 Dec 1996 04:00:00

Hi,

A great collection of Yes MIDI-files can be found at

http://www.xs4all.nl/~yescomm/midi.html

Happy Holidays!!!

Guy Kapteijns

Yes Communication Center
The Netherlands

Post by Cyber-St » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>Hi,
>A great collection of Yes MIDI-files can be found at
>http://www.xs4all.nl/~yescomm/midi.html
>Happy Holidays!!!
>Guy Kapteijns

>Yes Communication Center
>The Netherlands

I had check this site and all the yes song i had download were
impossible to listen with a midi player (cakewalk) WHY ?????????

Post by BW » Mon, 30 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> >Hi,

> >A great collection of Yes MIDI-files can be found at

> >http://www.xs4all.nl/~yescomm/midi.html

> >Happy Holidays!!!

> >Guy Kapteijns

> >Yes Communication Center
> >The Netherlands

> I had check this site and all the yes song i had download were
> impossible to listen with a midi player (cakewalk) WHY ?????????

Try downloading the sample MIDI PLAYER Roland has called VSC-55.  I
don't understand any of this yet. I only learned of MIDI on Christmas
eve when a real nice song started playing for me.  I loved it and
immediately became obsessed with obtaining good quality files.  One of
the first I found was the YES group you guys referenced.  A couple of
them sounded great on the "Cresindo" player I had gotten from Live
Update.  All sounded terrible on Mplayer.  I really got into this and
found that Roland deal.  Some of the songs really sound like the real
thing EXCEPT for the attempts to include "vocals".

I don't understand why that Roland thing is not the talk of this
newsgroup.  It seems to me its the only real player available which will
ever come close to reproducing the real MIDI sounds as intended by the
musician.  I think the catch is the file has to be done properly.  So
far I've found some great Styx, Dire Straits, Genesis, the YES, and a
few others that are to good to be true with that VSC-55.  Try it.  I've
been trying to by it since last Thursday, but apparently theve had
really bad weather and havnt been open (so says the answering service).

Good luck and let me know if I'm crazy or if you like it.

YES MIDI --- YES MIDI --- YES MIDI --- YES MIDI

Post by Dave Hau » Tue, 31 Dec 1996 04:00:00

I've tried that roland thing along with the yamaha program and nothing
compares to the SHAREWARE program called WINGROOVE.. check it out if you can..

go to www.hotbot.com and do a search for WINGROOVE.. make sure you download
the latest version (I cant remember the # but it has an "E" in it)

Post by JM » Tue, 31 Dec 1996 04:00:00

>Update.  All sounded terrible on Mplayer.  I really got into this and
>found that Roland deal.  Some of the songs really sound like the real
>thing EXCEPT for the attempts to include "vocals".

Mplayer was attempting to use your FM chipset to reproduce the music. Hence
the terrible sound...

Quote:>I don't understand why that Roland thing is not the talk of this
>newsgroup.  It seems to me its the only real player available which will
>ever come close to reproducing the real MIDI sounds as intended by the
>musician.  I think the catch is the file has to be done properly.  So
>far I've found some great Styx, Dire Straits, Genesis, the YES, and a
>few others that are to good to be true with that VSC-55.  Try it.  I've
>been trying to by it since last Thursday, but apparently theve had
>really bad weather and havnt been open (so says the answering service).

>Good luck and let me know if I'm crazy or if you like it.

The reason there is not more about it, is that most "midi" afficionados, have
fairly good quality wavetable cards. Albeit, most do not approach the quality
of the Yamaha or Roland cards (hence the VSC-55 in the first place). A SCD-15
(Roland) or a true SC-55 sound far better than the "virtual" sound canvas.

-JMS

Post by donahu » Tue, 31 Dec 1996 04:00:00

> > >Hi,

> > >A great collection of Yes MIDI-files can be found at

> > >http://www.xs4all.nl/~yescomm/midi.html

> > >Happy Holidays!!!

> > >Guy Kapteijns

> > >Yes Communication Center
> > >The Netherlands

> > I had check this site and all the yes song i had download were
> > impossible to listen with a midi player (cakewalk) WHY ?????????

> Try downloading the sample MIDI PLAYER Roland has called VSC-55.  I
> don't understand any of this yet. I only learned of MIDI on Christmas
> eve when a real nice song started playing for me.  I loved it and
> immediately became obsessed with obtaining good quality files.  One of
> the first I found was the YES group you guys referenced.  A couple of
> them sounded great on the "Cresindo" player I had gotten from Live
> Update.  All sounded terrible on Mplayer.  I really got into this and
> found that Roland deal.  Some of the songs really sound like the real
> thing EXCEPT for the attempts to include "vocals".

> I don't understand why that Roland thing is not the talk of this
> newsgroup.  It seems to me its the only real player available which will
> ever come close to reproducing the real MIDI sounds as intended by the
> musician.  I think the catch is the file has to be done properly.  So
> far I've found some great Styx, Dire Straits, Genesis, the YES, and a
> few others that are to good to be true with that VSC-55.  Try it.  I've
> been trying to by it since last Thursday, but apparently theve had
> really bad weather and havnt been open (so says the answering service).

> Good luck and let me know if I'm crazy or if you like it.

If I can find it - that is:
http://www.edirol.com/vsc/index.html

YES MIDI --- YES MIDI --- YES MIDI --- YES MIDI

> > > I had check this site and all the yes song i had download were
> > > impossible to listen with a midi player (cakewalk) WHY ?????????

> > Try downloading the sample MIDI PLAYER Roland has called VSC-55.  I
> > don't understand any of this yet. I only learned of MIDI on Christmas
> > eve when a real nice song started playing for me.  I loved it and
> > immediately became obsessed with obtaining good quality files.  One of
> > the first I found was the YES group you guys referenced.  A couple of
> > them sounded great on the "Cresindo" player I had gotten from Live
> > Update.  All sounded terrible on Mplayer.  I really got into this and
> > found that Roland deal.  Some of the songs really sound like the real
> > thing EXCEPT for the attempts to include "vocals".

> > I don't understand why that Roland thing is not the talk of this
> > newsgroup.  It seems to me its the only real player available which will
> > ever come close to reproducing the real MIDI sounds as intended by the
> > musician.  I think the catch is the file has to be done properly.  So
> > far I've found some great Styx, Dire Straits, Genesis, the YES, and a
> > few others that are to good to be true with that VSC-55.  Try it.  I've
> > been trying to by it since last Thursday, but apparently theve had
> > really bad weather and havnt been open (so says the answering service).

> > Good luck and let me know if I'm crazy or if you like it.

> If I can find it - that is:
> http://www.edirol.com/vsc/index.html

The software is 32bit and it uses about 4 to 8% of the CPU of a Pentium
150 when playing midi songs. I am very impressed too. It does sound more
dynamic than a wavetable sound. The software must be better able to
recreate the 'original sound'. Plain midi has always sounded flat and
canned. Un-involving. This software based Digital Signal Processing is
the wave (did you catch it) of the future as Intel is pushing it.

BTW I have an awe32. No more wav modules for me. I wonder will this
software work with games too?

Post by Chuck W » Wed, 01 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>The software is 32bit and it uses about 4 to 8% of the CPU of a Pentium
>150 when playing midi songs. I am very impressed too. It does sound more

4-8%???  on my p133 I've gotten some GS-specific songs that use just under
90% cpu, according to the VSC's panel!  (I don't think you're trying hard
enough!  ;)

Quote:>BTW I have an awe32. No more wav modules for me. I wonder will this
>software work with games too?

it'll work with Windows games that use MIDI music, but everything might
slow down...  I think the VSC is best for poor folks (like me) who want
to create music and/or listen to music from web sites and stuff; a good
stepping stone to that $500 SC-88!

- Chuck

Post by Steve Matzu » Wed, 01 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>> http://www.edirol.com/vsc/index.html

>The software is 32bit and it uses about 4 to 8% of the CPU of a Pentium
>150 when playing midi songs. I am very impressed too. It does sound more
>dynamic than a wavetable sound.

That's pretty amazing!  Is there a 16-bit version, do you know?

Post by Mike Doyle(MIDI » Thu, 02 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>> > Try downloading the sample MIDI PLAYER Roland has called VSC-55.  I
>> > don't understand any of this yet. I only learned of MIDI on Christmas
>> > eve when a real nice song started playing for me.  I loved it and
>> > immediately became obsessed with obtaining good quality files.  One of
>> > the first I found was the YES group you guys referenced.  A couple of
>> > them sounded great on the "Cresindo" player I had gotten from Live
>> > Update.  All sounded terrible on Mplayer.  I really got into this and
>> > found that Roland deal.  Some of the songs really sound like the real
>> > thing EXCEPT for the attempts to include "vocals".

>> > I don't understand why that Roland thing is not the talk of this
>> > newsgroup.  It seems to me its the only real player available which will
>> > ever come close to reproducing the real MIDI sounds as intended by the
>> > musician.  I think the catch is the file has to be done properly.  So
>> > far I've found some great Styx, Dire Straits, Genesis, the YES, and a
>> > few others that are to good to be true with that VSC-55.  Try it.  I've
>> > been trying to by it since last Thursday, but apparently theve had
>> > really bad weather and havnt been open (so says the answering service).

>> > Good luck and let me know if I'm crazy or if you like it.

>> If I can find it - that is:
>> http://www.edirol.com/vsc/index.html

>The software is 32bit and it uses about 4 to 8% of the CPU of a Pentium
>150 when playing midi songs. I am very impressed too. It does sound more
>dynamic than a wavetable sound. The software must be better able to
>recreate the 'original sound'. Plain midi has always sounded flat and
>canned. Un-involving. This software based Digital Signal Processing is
>the wave (did you catch it) of the future as Intel is pushing it.

>BTW I have an awe32. No more wav modules for me. I wonder will this
>software work with games too?

You feel this way because you have a crappy sound card, the Awe 32. If you had
a REAL Roland Sound Canvas, you would think differently.

-.\\.

YES MIDI --- YES MIDI --- YES MIDI --- YES MIDI

Post by Cedric SIM » Tue, 07 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Just to say that the VSC - 55 is nothing else than the "soft" version
of the Sound Canvas SC55.

Post by Robert de Bo » Wed, 08 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>Just to say that the VSC - 55 is nothing else than the "soft" version
>of the Sound Canvas SC55.

My 2 mb AWE-32 Soundbank sounds MUCH better then the VSC-55...

Post by Kenneth Leo » Wed, 08 Jan 1997 04:00:00

>>Just to say that the VSC - 55 is nothing else than the "soft" version
>>of the Sound Canvas SC55.
>My 2 mb AWE-32 Soundbank sounds MUCH better then the VSC-55...

The VSC-55 costs much less than the SC-55. However the VSC only
reproduces at 22kHz which is not CD quality. But still sounds ok for
those who are looking at a cheap alternative to a synth. However it's
hard to synchronize (or even impossible) software synth with real synths
because the software synth doesn't play close to real time. The VSC-55
also costs less than AWE.

The SC-55 would sound better than the vsc-55 because sc55 would
reproduce at cd quality. But the early model sc55 had low signal to
noise ratio.

Kenny L.

--
Kenny Leong