Midi to wav again

Post by Roger et Luci » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 11:58:07

Randd01 a crit :

Quote:

> The easiest way to convert Midi to Wav is to open the midi file in Media Player
> then open Sound Recorder. Start recording on sound recorder than start playing
> the Midi in Media Player. Very simple right?

It can't be that simple, and it doesn't work.  Am I a complete moron or
what?  I have the same need too and I gotta admit I'm completely lost.
Is there any way at all for me to transform my midi in to wav?  The
obvious use for me is to get my midis into MP3 so people will hear the
song exactly the way it was meant to sound and not the way their crappy
sound card plays it.

But so far, it looks as though I either need to shell out for a piece of
software that will do this, or I need to be a computer wiz.  I'm broke,
and I'm no genius.  So, am I screwed or what?

Thanks

Simon

Midi to wav again

Post by Rober » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 13:05:17

Have you tried "timidity".  I shouldn't be the one posting this because I am
having trouble getting it to work on linux
(see above post) but the windows version may be easier.
http://www.goice.co.jp/member/mo/timidity/
good luck,
Robert

Quote:> Randd01 a crit :

> > The easiest way to convert Midi to Wav is to open the midi file in Media
Player
> > then open Sound Recorder. Start recording on sound recorder than start
playing
> > the Midi in Media Player. Very simple right?

> It can't be that simple, and it doesn't work.  Am I a complete moron or
> what?  I have the same need too and I gotta admit I'm completely lost.
> Is there any way at all for me to transform my midi in to wav?  The
> obvious use for me is to get my midis into MP3 so people will hear the
> song exactly the way it was meant to sound and not the way their crappy
> sound card plays it.

> But so far, it looks as though I either need to shell out for a piece of
> software that will do this, or I need to be a computer wiz.  I'm broke,
> and I'm no genius.  So, am I screwed or what?

> Thanks

> Simon

Midi to wav again

Post by Koosl » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:55:50

Quote:

> It can't be that simple, and it doesn't work.  Am I a complete moron or
> what?  I have the same need too and I gotta admit I'm completely lost.
> Is there any way at all for me to transform my midi in to wav?  The
> obvious use for me is to get my midis into MP3 so people will hear the
> song exactly the way it was meant to sound and not the way their crappy
> sound card plays it.

> But so far, it looks as though I either need to shell out for a piece of
> software that will do this, or I need to be a computer wiz.  I'm broke,
> and I'm no genius.  So, am I screwed or what?

> Thanks

> Simon

Sorry, I don't get your point. It doesn't work? Why? What error do you get?
Or... what were you expecting? As I see, there are these options:
- A soft synth with midi-to-wav rendering: there are plenty of them
(http://www.synthzone.com/softsyn.htm) but, as you say, you won't get the
same, exact sound you hear with your soundcard's synthesizer(s).
- A virtual sampler, again with midi-to-wav rendering: most of them are
pretty expensive (again, http://www.synthzone.com/softsyn.htm) and, although
you can create an exact copy of your soundcard's wavetable, it's a *huge*
work -unless you're working with a soundfont-compatible card and find a soft
sampler using the same soundfont format
- Live-recording your soundcard synth's output, as explained: open any midi
player (Media Player does), open any decent wave recorder (Sound Recorder
does), select "MIDI" as your recording source in Window's Volume Control,
start rec and start play. That way, you'll get the exact sound you worked
out and you'll be able to convert it to MP3, CD-R, etc. OK, it's not a
"clean" solution, but by far the most simple and effective.

Koosla

Midi to wav again

Post by Jeffery S. Jone » Thu, 19 Apr 2001 20:56:23

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001 22:58:07 -0400, Roger et Lucie

>Randd01 a crit :

>> The easiest way to convert Midi to Wav is to open the midi file in Media Player
>> then open Sound Recorder. Start recording on sound recorder than start playing
>> the Midi in Media Player. Very simple right?

>It can't be that simple, and it doesn't work.  Am I a complete moron or
>what?  I have the same need too and I gotta admit I'm completely lost.
>Is there any way at all for me to transform my midi in to wav?  The
>obvious use for me is to get my midis into MP3 so people will hear the
>song exactly the way it was meant to sound and not the way their crappy
>sound card plays it.

  It is almost that simple.  The other step needed is to make sure
that your MIDI synth is the recording source, selected in the
recording mixer.  If the synth is an external one, you'll use the line
input as your source; source selection is pretty fundamental to
working with sound card recording.

  If your sound card cannot record MIDI while playing (and some are
limited that way), there are workarounds, but the simplest one is to
get a new soundcard.  You didn't mention which one you were using, but
the popular SB Live is easy to use for this purpose, either from line
input or using its internal synth.

  The recording mixer is in the windows mixer applet, menu
options/properties, pick the recording button.

Quote:>But so far, it looks as though I either need to shell out for a piece of
>software that will do this, or I need to be a computer wiz.  I'm broke,
>and I'm no genius.  So, am I screwed or what?

  Well, software can do it too.  A very good, not too expensive
playing option is Roland's VSC88 3.0 (www.edirol.com), a software
synth which includes the ability to render the output directly as a
wave file rather than playing it.  There are many others, some are
freeware.
--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________|  *Starfire*   |____________________-*
*Task Force Games*            <http://www.task-force-games.com>

Midi to wav again

Post by Tom Stoke » Fri, 20 Apr 2001 00:47:51

You might try DsMidi. It's a little different in that it uses .wavs for midi
instruments. You supply the .wavs. Wav output is recorded directly and later
can be compressed to .mp3
--
http://home.pacbell.net/tstokes
Home of DsMidi

Quote:> Randd01 a crit :

> > The easiest way to convert Midi to Wav is to open the midi file in Media
Player
> > then open Sound Recorder. Start recording on sound recorder than start
playing
> > the Midi in Media Player. Very simple right?

> It can't be that simple, and it doesn't work.  Am I a complete moron or
> what?  I have the same need too and I gotta admit I'm completely lost.
> Is there any way at all for me to transform my midi in to wav?  The
> obvious use for me is to get my midis into MP3 so people will hear the
> song exactly the way it was meant to sound and not the way their crappy
> sound card plays it.

> But so far, it looks as though I either need to shell out for a piece of
> software that will do this, or I need to be a computer wiz.  I'm broke,
> and I'm no genius.  So, am I screwed or what?

> Thanks

> Simon

Midi to wav again

Post by REEDCOURNOY » Sat, 21 Apr 2001 02:18:46

You may want to look at Audio Compositor
at http://audiocompositor.home.att.net

You can try it out for free. (forty dollars U.S. to register) It uses
soundfonts (plenty of free ones on the web) and creates waves from midi files.
I think it does reverb as well.

1. Create wav from MIDI, again...

I have browsed Goggle to find an answer, but I hasn't although the
topic seem to well beaten. Here goes:

I want to do this:

1. Scan music score into MIDI (one voice only)
2. Create WAV from the MIDI file
3. Put the wav files on CD to be used when I practice playing (the
cello if you want to know) to help me with pitch and rythm

1. is managed beautyfully with Sharpeye (http://www.visiv.co.uk/)
3. is easy

But 2: I do not care HOW IT SOUNDS AS LONG AS IT GETS INTO WAV (*),
and I want the computer to do it in software. There seem to be all
sorts of fancy stuff to get it to sound good, BUT I DON'T CARE.  It
could sound as if somebody is playing on garbage cans, if that makes
to whole thing easier.

Can somebody please give me hint? I have tried a number of the free
programs out there but they all seem to need ".PRG" samples; not like
my MID:s (although the soundcard plays them happily); etc. I have read
the FAQ and tried various programs; my latest example being Midnight
Express, which says "Note bla-bla not included in any voice" or some
such.

(*) sorry about the shouting, I'm rather upset about not being to do
this, my low requirements notwithstanding.

Per Stromgren,
Karlstad,
Sweden

Remove ".obliterate" from e-mail address

2. Dimensions of Palm hard case for m500

3. Wav->Midi again

4. NAT is it possible?

5. midi to wav and wav to midi

6. Plextor 4/2/20 CDR-RW ?

7. Using a midi input to make a wav riff from a wav.

8. FS: Indigo Drive Sleds (UK)

9. Midi Volume again

10. The MIDI SITE [again actualised]

11. Again: no MIDI sound

12. Midi Controller info again.

13. Midi Editor/Merge Question Again (Sorry!)