Hammond B3 petals / midi

Post by Rober » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 06:38:55

Hi,

Many years ago (1975) I connected a friends Hammond B3 pedals to a synth
with microswitches and relays to play bass on his synth.  No midi back then.
He has been using it all these years, but it's starting to fail.  Now he
wants to connect his B3 pedals to his new midi synth.  I have a lot of
experience designing embedded systems, it would be easy for me to mount a
PIC micro on his pedals, but I don't know anything about midi.  Also, I
don't want to do this if I can just buy something somewhere.  Any
suggestions?

I'd be happy to share the project when finished.

-Robert

Hammond B3 petals / midi

Post by Jeff Sandy » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 08:38:46

You might want to look at the 'ModCon' 68hc11 with the 'MidiGizmo' from:
        http://zorinco.com/
This might be an overkill for your job ($112 for the two kits)

If you can do it yourself there are a bunch of PIC Midi projects here:
        http://www.audiomulch.com/midipic/

Thanks,
Jeff Sandys

> Hi,

> Many years ago (1975) I connected a friends Hammond B3 pedals to a synth
> with microswitches and relays to play bass on his synth.  No midi back then.
> He has been using it all these years, but it's starting to fail.  Now he
> wants to connect his B3 pedals to his new midi synth.  I have a lot of
> experience designing embedded systems, it would be easy for me to mount a
> PIC micro on his pedals, but I don't know anything about midi.  Also, I
> don't want to do this if I can just buy something somewhere.  Any
> suggestions?

> I'd be happy to share the project when finished.

> -Robert

Hammond B3 petals / midi

Post by Grana » Fri, 06 Apr 2001 09:21:23

Quote:> Many years ago (1975) I connected a friends Hammond B3 pedals to a synth
> with microswitches and relays to play bass on his synth.  No midi back
then.
> He has been using it all these years, but it's starting to fail.  Now he
> wants to connect his B3 pedals to his new midi synth.

Interesting that the old B3 is still going strong, but the original synth is
failing.

Regards,
Brian

Hammond B3 petals / midi

Post by Rober » Sat, 07 Apr 2001 08:15:30

Well his old B3 is pretty shot too.  He says he has 100k miles on it.  He
just got a "new" 1939 B3.

Thanks all for the advice.
-Robert