MIDI or USB , which has the lower latency for keyboards?

MIDI or USB , which has the lower latency for keyboards?

Post by jef » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:06:37



I have an Oxygen8 midi keyboard which uses a USB connection.  

Im wondering if i would experience lower latency if i got a midi/in
card and a Midi controller.

any help appreciated!

thank you

 
 
 

MIDI or USB , which has the lower latency for keyboards?

Post by Laurence Payn » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 23:18:52


Quote:>I have an Oxygen8 midi keyboard which uses a USB connection.  

>Im wondering if i would experience lower latency if i got a midi/in
>card and a Midi controller.

No.  The keyboard-computer communication is virtually instantaneous by
either method.   If you have a latency problem, it is happening
elsewhere.

CubaseFAQ page www.laurencepayne.co.uk/CubaseFAQ.htm

 
 
 

MIDI or USB , which has the lower latency for keyboards?

Post by JB Seattl » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 01:13:22


The latency is likely a function of your soundcard--you could be using a
softsynth that comes with your computer.  The USB keyboard transmission is
latency free.
If your midi sound is the Microsoft GS wavsynth, that is where the latency
is.
To eliminate the latency you need a hardware sound chip in a soundcard or an
external midi mod.
Best card for the money now is the Audigy 2.
DXi softsynths will run without audible latency in Windows XP and Sonar.
VST softsynths will run with tolerable latency in Windows using ASIO.
Welcome to the nerd side of midi.
JB

Quote:> I have an Oxygen8 midi keyboard which uses a USB connection.

> Im wondering if i would experience lower latency if i got a midi/in
> card and a Midi controller.

> any help appreciated!

> thank you

 
 
 

MIDI or USB , which has the lower latency for keyboards?

Post by jef » Sat, 05 Jul 2003 14:41:28


My setup:

Radium61 USB
Delta 44
Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
AMD 2100
1.3 gigs RAM

let me add a little more.

The only piece of hardware i plan to buy is a Virus kc or a C.

Do I even need the ins/outs on the Delta44? I would think i only need
Midi In, correct?

I will be making nuskool breakbeat , with soft synths and programs..

sorry, im also trying to figure out if i got the right sound card....

thank you


> The latency is likely a function of your soundcard--you could be using a
> softsynth that comes with your computer.  The USB keyboard transmission is
> latency free.
> If your midi sound is the Microsoft GS wavsynth, that is where the latency
> is.
> To eliminate the latency you need a hardware sound chip in a soundcard or an
> external midi mod.
> Best card for the money now is the Audigy 2.
> DXi softsynths will run without audible latency in Windows XP and Sonar.
> VST softsynths will run with tolerable latency in Windows using ASIO.
> Welcome to the nerd side of midi.
> JB


> > I have an Oxygen8 midi keyboard which uses a USB connection.

> > Im wondering if i would experience lower latency if i got a midi/in
> > card and a Midi controller.

> > any help appreciated!

> > thank you

 
 
 

MIDI or USB , which has the lower latency for keyboards?

Post by JB Seattl » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 00:50:39


The operating system will have some effect, XP does not take a lot of the
drivers for old hardware and I am not familiar with Radium61 USB
controllers, I have never seen any Midi USB device support for it.
JB

> My setup:

> Radium61 USB
> Delta 44
> Turtle Beach Santa Cruz
> AMD 2100
> 1.3 gigs RAM

> let me add a little more.

> The only piece of hardware i plan to buy is a Virus kc or a C.

> Do I even need the ins/outs on the Delta44? I would think i only need
> Midi In, correct?

> I will be making nuskool breakbeat , with soft synths and programs..

> sorry, im also trying to figure out if i got the right sound card....

> thank you




- Show quoted text -

> > The latency is likely a function of your soundcard--you could be using a
> > softsynth that comes with your computer.  The USB keyboard transmission
is
> > latency free.
> > If your midi sound is the Microsoft GS wavsynth, that is where the
latency
> > is.
> > To eliminate the latency you need a hardware sound chip in a soundcard
or an
> > external midi mod.
> > Best card for the money now is the Audigy 2.
> > DXi softsynths will run without audible latency in Windows XP and Sonar.
> > VST softsynths will run with tolerable latency in Windows using ASIO.
> > Welcome to the nerd side of midi.
> > JB


> > > I have an Oxygen8 midi keyboard which uses a USB connection.

> > > Im wondering if i would experience lower latency if i got a midi/in
> > > card and a Midi controller.

> > > any help appreciated!

> > > thank you

 
 
 

1. having trouble connecting my MIDI keyboard to my PC

Here is what I have:
A EP-693A VIA Apollo pro133 AGPset motherboard with an inbuilt
MTU-401/Gameport Joystick connector (little thing similar to a serial
port but with a different number of pins)
A RadioShack MD-981 MIDI Keyboard which has standard MIDI in and out
connectors (round connectors with a semicircle of pin holes)
A cable thats labeled "MIDI cable" and is currently plugged into the
MIDI in/out ports on my keyboard and into the MIDI port on my PC.
And A copy of Cakewalk Pro Audio 9 (full version)

The problem is that I dont get any sound out of my keyboard when I
send data to it and I dont get any data in Cakewalk when I record and
I play something on my keyboard. The MIDI cable is plugged in the
correct way around so it cant be that.
Cakewalk is correctly detecting the VIA MIDI External Port as both an
input and output device and its selected in both cases.
The keyboard does output sound when I play on the keys.
Cakewalk plays sound through the MIDI mapper and Microsoft GS
Wavetable Synth output devices no problems.

I just cant get the 2 devices to talk to each other.
Anyone got any ideas what to try? I have tried everything listed under
"troubleshooting" in the manual for my keyboard and in the Cakewalk
help but that didnt help either.
Do I need some other piece of hardware that I could be missing?
Could it be that my MIDI cable is stuffed?

2. 040 black box boot problem

3. *help* having problems with PC<->Keyboard midi interfacing...

4. rotated ylabels partially cut off?

5. How to play notes lower than my keyboard's lowest?

6. Air Cell

7. Small USB MIDI keyboard controllers

8. Corrupt DBX Files

9. USB MIDI keyboard controller

10. Small MIDI USB keyboard

11. USB/Midi keyboard

12. USB to gameport to MIDI keyboard on WIN98

13. Emagic AMT8 USB version - 'USB Composite Device' problem