File Extension Change When Downloading .kar File From Web Page

File Extension Change When Downloading .kar File From Web Page

Post by Mont » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 12:25:45

I have a link to a MIDI karaoke (.kar) file on one of my web pages but
when you click on the link, IE wants to download it (or run it from
the current location) with a .mid extension.  I know of at least one
other user who has experienced the problem.  Any idea why it won't
download with the .kar extension?

TIA

File Extension Change When Downloading .kar File From Web Page

Post by Jeffery S. Jone » Wed, 28 Aug 2002 23:57:13

Quote:>I have a link to a MIDI karaoke (.kar) file on one of my web pages but
>when you click on the link, IE wants to download it (or run it from
>the current location) with a .mid extension.  I know of at least one
>other user who has experienced the problem.  Any idea why it won't
>download with the .kar extension?

  The web server is configured to recognize .kar as a MIDI type file.
Internet Explorer links extensions with file types, sees an incoming
MIDI file, and uses its own defined extension for that file type.

  Not sure if you can fix the problem from the server end, but right
click - save as -- should work to save it without any changes.

--
*-__Jeffery Jones__________|  *Starfire*   |____________________-*
*Graphic Reflections and Websites* <http://www.execpc.com/~jeffsj/>

Post by Guenter Nagl » Thu, 29 Aug 2002 15:29:07

> I have a link to a MIDI karaoke (.kar) file on one of my web pages but
> when you click on the link, IE wants to download it (or run it from
> the current location) with a .mid extension.  I know of at least one
> other user who has experienced the problem.  Any idea why it won't
> download with the .kar extension?

a .kar is a .mid file with some extra song text inside.
The server sends a MIME type that declares file type, it is same for
.kar and .mid,  if .kar extension is already known by IE (plugin
installed that accepts this ext) then IE does suggest .kar and can
play the file directly through plugin e.g. if Quicktime plugin is
installed then .kar is treated well and karaoke lyrics are displayed
during playing
If .kar is yet unknown to IE then it tries to guess the file format to
find a viewer that can display it and since it is a midi file the .mid
is suggested.

Simpliest alternative is to put the files into a .zip file

Or look in HTML definition if there is an attribute for the link that
specifies a download filename
e.g. filename="myfile.kar"
with luck then the .mid suggestion can be changed.

I don't understand why some players depend on the .kar extension for
displaying karaoke text, also .mid files that are not .kar compatible
can contain lyrics and should be displayed.

Gnter
http://www.gnmidi.com