Digital equipment for film scoring

Post by buck » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 12:58:50

Could someone please tell me what digital setup someone uses for film
scoring? What equipment do I need? I currently have Digital Performer,
Roland A-90 and 1080. G4 MAC. System 9.1 What sound/audio cards are
good and what else do I need? I heard that doing a score digitally is
by far faster than video tape. Do I need a MOTU midi timepiece AV?
Thanks

bucko

Digital equipment for film scoring

Post by Gwydion Elderwy » Sat, 09 Mar 2002 14:06:47

Quote:> Could someone please tell me what digital setup someone uses for film
> scoring? What equipment do I need? I currently have Digital Performer,
> Roland A-90 and 1080. G4 MAC. System 9.1 What sound/audio cards are
> good and what else do I need? I heard that doing a score digitally is
> by far faster than video tape. Do I need a MOTU midi timepiece AV?

Well, as far as purely musical equipment goes, use whatever has the sounds
you like.  It really doesn't matter.  An A-90 and a '1080 should cover most
things unless you're doing some really bizarre synth stuff.

Specifically relating to working on film where your music must match certain
cues in the film, you'll need gear that understands SMTPE code, because a
studio is going to supply a tape with SMTPE code and is going to expect a
result that contains it.  Again, there are multiple choices here, so go with
what works with you and your system and your budget.

Sorry I can't help more but I only have a basic knowledge of this.  However,
I'm sure if you did some searches in Google you'd find far more useful info
:)

Digital equipment for film scoring

Post by Torbj?rn Svedlun » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 04:49:49

Subscribe MOTU-Mac at http://www.unicornation.com/
Those friendly people will help you.

Torbjorn

Quote:> Could someone please tell me what digital setup someone uses for film
> scoring? What equipment do I need? I currently have Digital Performer,
> Roland A-90 and 1080. G4 MAC. System 9.1 What sound/audio cards are
> good and what else do I need? I heard that doing a score digitally is
> by far faster than video tape. Do I need a MOTU midi timepiece AV?
> Thanks

> bucko

Digital equipment for film scoring

Post by McQ » Mon, 11 Mar 2002 20:53:37

One more thing to consider since u're building up from scratch and have not
much point of  reference, what sort of equipment are the people u're working
with using?
It would be convenient if some of the stuff they're using could be the same,
so it's easier to send over your works during the rough cuts.

Khew

Quote:> Could someone please tell me what digital setup someone uses for film
> scoring? What equipment do I need? I currently have Digital Performer,
> Roland A-90 and 1080. G4 MAC. System 9.1 What sound/audio cards are
> good and what else do I need? I heard that doing a score digitally is
> by far faster than video tape. Do I need a MOTU midi timepiece AV?
> Thanks

> bucko

1. MIDI Film Scoring

From the keyboard of Joe Renzetti - I've read a lot of questions
posted here referring to Film Scoring. I see there is a need for
good information on the subject and I know there are not
too many places one could go to get it.
I've been an active film composer for the last fifteen years
and won an Oscar. I am available to share my experience.
Feel free to visit my web site at:
http://home.earthlink.net/~renzetti

--

Posted using Reference.COM                         http://www.reference.com

InReference, Inc. accepts no responsibility for the content of this posting.

2. QMHSNDPM API

3. ____ HELP: What type of video & sync gear needed for film scoring???

4. Updating SQL Server from XML

5. Looking for book on film scoring setup?

6. Questions

7. Film Scoring Mailing List

8. Need Desprate help in trying to change DNS

9. Film scoring setup?

10. Best sound card for Film scoring setup?

11. Articles on film scoring and writing music

12. Articles on Film scoring & music composition