Question: How to reduce a symphony into phrases?

Question: How to reduce a symphony into phrases?

Post by Rice=everythin » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 06:36:54

I'm a non-musician who is interested in pumping a wav file, say of a
symphony, into a black box which automatically cuts it all up into bit-
phrases, scrambles them, and then reconstructs the pieces into a wav. The
program would be more akin to a "blue box" than a black one because its
function would be to recycle whatever was tossed into it.

I am aware that there are many excellent programs out there that edit wav
files, but are they not limited to real-time, manual cutting and
splicing? This is a serious limitation if one is thinking about
pulverizing a massive wav file into thousands of 1-2 sec units, a job
probably more suited for some small program specifically designed for
that particular task, like a small appliance that is good for only one
thing. I'm not looking for a kitchen but for a kitchen blender, or a
cappucino maker, or a juicer. Is anyone familiar with such a musical
appliance?

Thanks.

Sorry if this is OT.

Question: How to reduce a symphony into phrases?

Post by Barry Graha » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 09:04:43

Quote:> ...................This is a serious limitation if one is thinking about
> pulverizing a massive wav file into thousands of 1-2 sec units, a job
> probably more suited for some small program specifically designed for
> that particular task, like a small appliance that is good for only one
> thing. I'm not looking for a kitchen but for a kitchen blender, or a
> cappucino maker, or a juicer. Is anyone familiar with such a musical
> appliance?

What you are after is known as a Sigurd sequencer - very common but not much
in demand. ;)

Post by Rice=everythin » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 10:09:32

>> ...................This is a serious limitation if one is thinking
>> about pulverizing a massive wav file into thousands of 1-2 sec units,
>> a job probably more suited for some small program specifically
>> designed for that particular task, like a small appliance that is good
>> for only one thing. I'm not looking for a kitchen but for a kitchen
>> blender, or a cappucino maker, or a juicer. Is anyone familiar with
>> such a musical appliance?

> What you are after is known as a Sigurd sequencer - very common but not
> much in demand. ;)

Thanks, I found it on ebay. Keyword search: "Eskimo *"
How much should I bid for it?

Question: How to reduce a symphony into phrases?

Post by Barry Graha » Sun, 09 Dec 2001 20:54:35

Quote:> > What you are after is known as a Sigurd sequencer - very common but not
> > much in demand. ;)
> Thanks, I found it on ebay. Keyword search: "Eskimo *"
> How much should I bid for it?

Stick around awhile - marketing is a total*up - can't put a foot
right - soon it'll be boxed with your favourite cereal.

1. Best Phrase Based MIDI Sequencer?

I'm more of a player than a knob twiddler, and I'm finding it hard to
locate a sequencer that has the few features I'm after.  I've been a
MOTU Performer user since ver 3, but I'm finding it too feature laden,
and not the functionality that suits the way I record.  I also have
Stienberg Cubase (MAC), which has better phrase (groove) type features,
but still doesn't do it for me as well as an Atari version I tried a few
years back.

Imagine this scenario:
I've got this funkin' groove whirling in my head,
I walk up to my MIDI controller and tap out 3 or 4 clicks to set the
tempo (the way my old Fender Chroma could do way back in '84),
I up or down arrow to the desired patch, probably bass, drums or piano,
designate a 4/8/16 etc. bar phrase,
play once (or more) through the loop,
I can audition the loop, or trash it and cue up for the next pass (like
Cubase),
If I like it, I select a new track and patch, and go for the next layer.

Really, the key features required are:
Freewheeling Tap tempo (tempo following would be GREAT! for rubato)
 non-stop trash the last pass, or delete phrase while in record mode.

Anybody aware if there is such a creature?  Does MOTU FreeStyle do this?

What does?

TIA
Carl

2. NEED PROGRAMMER

3. What's the 'Interactive Phrase Synthesizer' in CUBASE?

4. Domino Email Server Question

5. MIDI phrase synth for pc?

6. Microsoft Exchange - Branchburg, NJ-6+months

7. QUESTION...QUESTION...QUESTION...QUESTION...

8. NEED HELP PLEASE

9. How to reduce the speed of a file .mid ?

10. FS: KORG N5 - New! - Reduced$$$

11. FS: Books -- Price reduced 10 for $50 pp

12. IntelliScore price reduced

13. IntelliScore polyphonic wav to midi converter. Price reduced!