Midi parser

Post by Vaibhav Bhandar » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 15:04:48

I was looking for a yacc/bison style midi parser. Any clues??

regards,
vaibhav
--
+------------------------------------+------------------------+
|Vaibhav Bhandari, Graduate Student  | Home: 401,Spring Street|

|Tel(0): 1-831-459-1720              | Fax: 1-831-459-4829    |
+------------------------------------+------------------------+
|         Tamsoma Jyotirgmaya.   Knowledge is Power!          |

Midi parser

Post by Mike » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 18:54:54

Quote:

> I was looking for a yacc/bison style midi parser. Any clues??

Not yacc/bison, but you might want to check out MIDI-share.
http://www.grame.fr/MidiShare/

Regards
Mikael Hillborg
MHC Synthesizers and Effects
http://www.mhc.se/software/plugins/

Midi parser

Post by Emiliano Grill » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 20:50:16

>> I was looking for a yacc/bison style midi parser. Any clues??
> Not yacc/bison, but you might want to check out MIDI-share.
> http://www.grame.fr/MidiShare/

And if you know perl, take a look also at MIDI-Perl:
http://www.speech.cs.cmu.edu/~sburke/pub/perl_midi/
it's a very powerful perl module.

HTH
--
  .-----------------------.
  | Emiliano Grilli       |

  | Linux user #209089    |
  | http://www.emillo.net |
  '-----------------------'

Midi parser

Post by Note J » Tue, 24 Jun 2003 00:33:40

Don't know exactly what your asking, but maybe midi tools has what you need.
Its at AOL,   go to download center.

Its an archive of about 20 midi tools, like midi scanners, etc.

Midi parser

Post by Stephane Richar » Thu, 03 Jul 2003 22:03:43

Hi Vaibhav,

Here's a link to the MIDI BNF File (Backus Naur Formal) descriptor.
http://www.josef-k.net/mim/midibnf.html

It's not Yacc/Bison, but with this you should be able to make one quite
easily since YACC/Bison are based on the BNF form.

Hope this helps.

Stphane Richard
Senior Software and Technology Supervisor
http://www.totalweb-inc.com
For all your hosting and related needs

> I was looking for a yacc/bison style midi parser. Any clues??

> regards,
> vaibhav
> --
> +------------------------------------+------------------------+
> |Vaibhav Bhandari, Graduate Student  | Home: 401,Spring Street|
> |Computer Science Department         |   Santa Cruz CA 95060  |
> |UC Santa Cruz CA 95065              | Tel(h):1-831-423-7381  |

> |Tel(0): 1-831-459-1720              | Fax: 1-831-459-4829    |
> +------------------------------------+------------------------+
> |         Tamsoma Jyotirgmaya.   Knowledge is Power!          |
> +-------------------------------------------------------------+

Midi parser

Post by dvd66 » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 06:51:44

one question (newbie):

What exactly is a midi parser?

thx

--
dvd666

Midi parser

Post by Günter Nagle » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 17:23:16

> What exactly is a midi parser?

MIDI data is a series of numbers and before playing or editing these
numbers must be interpreted correctly (e.g. distinguish between pause
and commands, collecting parameters for each command). The MIDI parser
is a part of the MIDI software that knows the MIDI data format and
interpretes the meaning of the numbers. The parser is used for reading
MIDI files and also for incoming MIDI data from MIDI cable.

Compare with a language:  a parser analyses grammar of a sentence and
meaning of the words.
Similiar is done for "language" MIDI.

Midi parser

Post by Immanuel Litzrot » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 18:41:23

    >> What exactly is a midi parser?

    Gnter> MIDI data is a series of numbers and before playing or
    Gnter> editing these numbers must be interpreted correctly
    Gnter> (e.g. distinguish between pause and commands, collecting
    Gnter> parameters for each command). The MIDI parser is a part of
    Gnter> the MIDI software that knows the MIDI data format and
    Gnter> interpretes the meaning of the numbers. The parser is used
    Gnter> for reading MIDI files and also for incoming MIDI data
    Gnter> from MIDI cable.

    Gnter> Compare with a language: a parser analyses grammar of a
    Gnter> sentence and meaning of the words.  Similiar is done for
    Gnter> "language" MIDI.

In the case of Midi it is not a real parser that is required, just a
finite automaton. Parsing usually involves recursion, where the
parser needs to call itself for a part of it's input. A Midi parser
is just a regular expression matcher, which corresponds to the lexing
and not the parsing stage of languages.
Immanuel

Midi parser

Post by Joel de Guzma » Sun, 06 Jul 2003 15:16:52

>     >> What exactly is a midi parser?

>     Gnter> MIDI data is a series of numbers and before
>     playing or Gnter> editing these numbers must be
>     interpreted correctly Gnter> (e.g. distinguish
>     between pause and commands, collecting Gnter>
>     parameters for each command). The MIDI parser is a
>     part of Gnter> the MIDI software that knows the MIDI
>     data format and Gnter> interpretes the meaning of
>     the numbers. The parser is used Gnter> for reading
> MIDI files and also for incoming MIDI data Gnter> from
> MIDI cable.

>     Gnter> Compare with a language: a parser analyses
>     grammar of a Gnter> sentence and meaning of the
>     words.  Similiar is done for Gnter> "language" MIDI.

> In the case of Midi it is not a real parser that is
> required, just a finite automaton. Parsing usually
> involves recursion, where the parser needs to call itself
> for a part of it's input. A Midi parser is just a regular
> expression matcher, which corresponds to the lexing and
> not the parsing stage of languages.
> Immanuel

In any case, if you want small code and tight integration with C++,
you might be interested to check out the Boost.Spirit parser at:

http://spirit.sf.net or at http://www.boost.org

Cheers,
--
Joel de Guzman
joel at boost-consulting.com
http://www.boost-consulting.com
http://spirit.sf.net

1. MIDI data file parser exist?

I am a grad student looking for a utiltiy to parse streaming midi data.

Does anything like this exist? C/C++ libraries?  code examples? runtime?

This could save me a bunch of time... otherwise I need to create my own from
scratch with Yacc or Bison.  Thanks in advance.

Chris
University of Florida

2. @InheritedDocumentUniqueID...?

3. Midi File Parser

4. Copying a Page from one Document to Another

5. HOT, MIDI, HOT, MIDI, HOT, MIDI, HOT, MIDI, HOT, MIDI

6. Play Sound

7. YES MIDI --- YES MIDI --- YES MIDI --- YES MIDI

8. Dial Up Networking Problem

9. FREE MIDI, FREE MIDI, FREE MIDI, FREE MIDI

10. midi, midi, midi

11. Recommended MIDI Kbd, MIDI Drums, MIDI Guitar, PC Interface?